myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
ARCHIVE: Where We Sailed Today, Thread Part I.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 407, 408, 409 ... 425, 426, 427  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bert

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 1:10 am    Post subject: board and sail rig separation Reply with quote

Scary day at Coyote. My board and rig separated at the deck plate a mile and half out. It was impossible to reconnect especially with 30 mph wind and major chop. Became cold and exhausted after 30 minutes. Decided to remove the Chinook base from the extension and connected it back to the plate. Still could not angle the board to connect the sail because of the extreme wind conditions. Finally flipped the board over and after a couple of attempts, was able to reconnect the sail from beneath the board by straddling the sail between my legs and bringing it up to the base. Sure was glad to make it back to shore..obtw, I was on a 3.7.
jayturcot

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Made my first ever trip out to Tomales with a gang of Candlestick regulars.
Due to forgetfulness I was no able to rig the 3.3 I had brought; but sailed 3.7 (which was the right call after my first reach during a "puff").

Met great smiling faces; saw an impressive rescue effort from Kevin, Brad and especially Sofi (who pulled a broken down sailor half way across the bay powered only by a 3.0). Good times.

Some photos up here:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/59732506@N05/sets/72157633253510664/

Feel free to PM me for a link to full res photos.
Great to meet 3-4 new people while there
victor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 10:57 am    Post subject: San Rafael Police Reply with quote

a shout out to the San Rafael Police boat and crew for quick responses and rescues on saturday and sunday at rod & gun.

p.s. it wasn't me both days.

Last edited by victor on Mon Apr 15, 2013 1:46 pm; edited 1 time in total
windward1

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 11:17 am    Post subject: Reconnecting Rig & Board Reply with quote

Hi Bert,

Thanks for sharing how you reconnected your rig and board. I had that separation happen to me more than a half mile off of Davenport and try as I might, I could not reconnect them. I did not think of your final successful technique, however. I ended up paddling in towing the rig and ended up on a beach way downwind. Put the gear back together on the beach and sailed back to Davy. Now I check the tightness three times before entering the water. I find I can get another half turn sometimes between the time I rig near the van and I have the gear by the water.

Windward1
carl

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 12:31 pm    Post subject: Re: board and sail rig separation Reply with quote

bert wrote:
Scary day at Coyote. My board and rig separated at the deck plate a mile and half out. It was impossible to reconnect especially with 30 mph wind and major chop. Became cold and exhausted after 30 minutes. Decided to remove the Chinook base from the extension and connected it back to the plate. Still could not angle the board to connect the sail because of the extreme wind conditions. Finally flipped the board over and after a couple of attempts, was able to reconnect the sail from beneath the board by straddling the sail between my legs and bringing it up to the base. Sure was glad to make it back to shore..obtw, I was on a 3.7.

Hey Bert,
Glad to hear you made it back ok!!. Scarry.
What separated? The ring lock on the 2 bolt base to the universal?
Good thing you were able to retrieve the board. Many times the board just shoots way downwind and you're left holding just the rig.
That happened to me at the Stick many years ago when the mast trak single bolt broke. Luckly someone else caught my board and a 2nd person went back to shore for another uni/base. It was a chore getting it reconnected even with 2 people.
2 bolts are definatly better than one.

PS, Palo Alto was less wild and fun with a 5.0/90L Sat and 6.0/102L Sun.
bert

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Carl,
Yeah, the ring lock disengaged somehow and I was sure it was secured before I entered the water. Because the wind, the board was really hard to control. A lesson to be learned was stay close in those conditions, always check your equipment, carry a radio (forgot to charge mine so it was dead Crying or Very sad), and most importantly., don't panic. I dare say I would not have come up with my fix if I could not think things out clearly. I was close to that stage because The ebb was beginning and I was far out, the wind was from the WSW and I was becoming cold and exhausted. Maybe it's time for me to take up a safer hobby..,like golf or gardening.
windward1

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 2:06 pm    Post subject: Golf Reply with quote

Bert, your golf partners won't be all that interested in your stories about how exciting windsurfing was as you tool around the golf course.....just saying.....
carl

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bert wrote:
Carl,
Maybe it's time for me to take up a safer hobby..,like golf or gardening.

Very Happy Maybe just get a warmer wetsuit (dress for the swim),
buy a new uni/base every year and charge up that battery.
Golf is good for the off-season.
bert

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 6:42 pm    Post subject: The Stick Reply with quote

Screw the gardening. Sailed Candlestick Monday from noon to 1:30 on a 85L/4.2 combo. Got there before it blew stink and sure enough, when I finished my session it was blowing 3.5 and under. Looked like liquid smoke out there. I'm beginning to tire of this form of survival sailing.

Bert
dsgrntlxmply

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 8:24 pm    Post subject: Blowdega, Mon. Apr. 15 Reply with quote

I showed up but chose not to sail, given that my smallest sail is 4.5.

Four people were out, on 3.0-4.2. Nobody was sailing especially fast in the rough water, and guys with strong skills seemed to be down in the water as much as up on it. One guy had a few nice jumps.

Two mishaps occurred with gear catching gusts while ashore.
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 407, 408, 409 ... 425, 426, 427  Next
Page 408 of 427

Jump to: