myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
ARCHIVE: Where We Sailed Today, Thread Part I.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 406, 407, 408 ... 425, 426, 427  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nw30

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 12:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bailed on AL today, you had to be there at about 9 am to get a chance at getting some time in before it went all white (nuke),,,,, too many dues to pay, so I went to work instead.
I admit it!!! I have to pay for my stuff.

It was work out there, so if it's work, you have to get paid, and if you're not getting paid, then fuck it.
bert

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 5:04 pm    Post subject: Palo Alto harbor Reply with quote

4.7/90L at Palo Alto around noontime. Mostly sub planing conditions. I forgot about the cardinal rule when sailing P.A. ... always rig bigger.
dsgrntlxmply

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 12:11 am    Post subject: Bodega, Wed/Thurs Apr. 10/11 Reply with quote

Wed. short session wind vs. shallow water. Good on 5.7. Several others out.

Thurs. longer session, 5.3 too much in gusts, but mostly trying to figure out my new smaller board. 36 cm fin still seemed like too much: heading up uncontrollably in fast-moving chop-swell, so went to a 28cm weed fin. Better at not heading up, but maybe not quite enough fin.

Several others out on 5.0-5.3.

Forecast looks promising to scary through Monday.
dvCali

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 1:35 am    Post subject: Coyote 4/12 Reply with quote

Great day at Coyote, wound up with 4.7 from the time I arrived (2:30) to when I left (6:0). Chop was not too bad, nice ramps and some swell spaced enough to have some fun on it.

First real day out with the Ezzy Tiger 4.7: wonderful sail. Stable, precise, relatively soft but quite powerful, and with a huge range. Conditions got close to 4.2 mid afternoon and all I had to do was to pull a bit more out haul.
dllee

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK day at Rod&Gun, seemed stronger than 25 mph gusts, but short period chop killed any chance of good jumps, water warm, 25+ sailors, not filled in, but just before the channel was solid white spray mostly.
bert

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 11:17 pm    Post subject: Coyote Reply with quote

Sailed Coyote Saturday. 15-20 on the inside, 25-35 on the outside. Started with 4.7/85 at 1 pm..got beat up on the outside with the gusty SW wind and brutal flood chop. Switched to 4.2/80 L RealWind board an hour later which worked well on the outside. Swells got bigger and better around 3 pm at slack tide. Parking lot was more crowded than usual..kinda like the old days Smile
dsgrntlxmply

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 11:24 pm    Post subject: Bodega, Sat. Apr. 13 Reply with quote

Started on 5.0 very downhauled. Great for a moment then uncontrollable. Went to 4.5. This would go at whim from waiting for a gust to water start, to water start with instant planing, to nearly uncontrollable.

Someone at the site yesterday offered that my difficulty with heading up was stance, and not fin. I put the 36cm fin on today and experimented some, and determined that she was entirely correct. This board needs less weight on the rear foot, and both demands and responds well to foot steering inputs: new for me.

A bunch of other people were out, on anything from 6.2 earlier in the day, to 3.7 at the end, mostly 4.0-4.7.

As was the case yesterday the relentless short-period and breaking chop-swell was a big challenge, especially after the tide ebbed to +3 or so. The helmet easily paid for itself today.

The good news is that the new board gave me the best port tack reach in a long time. Part of this was the result of going upwind on starboard to absorb some excess power, then having a little downwind component on port tack.
beallmd

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 8:34 am    Post subject: Washoe Reply with quote

At least some of the regulars got in their first day this year Saturday. It was better early and crappy later when most of us finally got out. Dawn patrol would have been a bit chilly but better sailing, oh well, next time...
dvCali

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 12:35 pm    Post subject: Crissy Sat&Sun 4/14-15 Reply with quote

Crissy finally kicks in, 4.7 very powered up on Sat and 4.2 on Sun. The Bump & Jump 4.2-4.7 season is in! Laughing Very Happy and lots of windsurfers out.
dsgrntlxmply

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 11:23 pm    Post subject: Bodega, Sun. Apr. 14 Reply with quote

Quite a few people out today, parking congestion.

Stayed on 4.5 all day. 2:1 gusts and relentless breaking chop-swell with 2 second period made conditions challenging. Colder than yesterday, glad I used the 5mm hooded suit.

First experience with a bump that felt like dropping 3 feet onto concrete.

People with strong skills appeared to be having fun. For me it was more of a semi-survivable learning experience day, to be revisited Monday.
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 406, 407, 408 ... 425, 426, 427  Next
Page 407 of 427

Jump to: