myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
ARCHIVE: Where We Sailed Today, Thread Part I.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 389, 390, 391 ... 425, 426, 427  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
npure2001

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 4:37 am    Post subject: Embassy - again Reply with quote

Repeat of yesterday's 6.0 sunset session. Interesting to note, that while the wind dropped out at Coyote when it went SW, the wind at Embassy was just fine. Best between the Oyster bar and the launch. Butterflat. Lighter outside. Egress through the mud quite similar to yesterday. Water was about 50 feet from the bottom of the rocks at low tide.

One more observation. Right at sunset there is always a little push to the wind. Dunno why, probably the isobars smooth out a few wrinkles.
kevinkan

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Candlestick was good on Monday. Many on sails in the 5.0 range.
https://www.instagram.com/sunsetsailboards
http://www.facebook.com/sunsetsailboards
victor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

man, the peninsula has been having a good season this year.
veterduet

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 9:23 pm    Post subject: Candlestick Reply with quote

You can say that two times! Second day at the Stick better than the first - hanging on to my 5.2 and enjoying every minute of it. Even Fred was there!
Goodwind

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 11:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

5.2 at stick today would be too much for me. Had two smaller sails rigged. Started out with 4.7 on 90 around 2:30 then switched to 4.2 15 min later as wind picked up. Quit around 4:30. Still blowing as I was departing, but not as much. Great day for mid October.
dsgrntlxmply

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 12:06 pm    Post subject: Bodega Tue. Oct. 16 Reply with quote

Looking at the forecast chart, put my gear on the car in the morning just in case. Belatedly saw 19.5 on iWindsurf just before 2PM, and zoomed out to the site, knowing that it would be too shallow by 3:30PM. Raced to put my one and only (155L) together with a 6.4, and the wind nearly died.

Fortunately it came back up and I had a truly excellent ride out, planing nearly all of the way out, with the sail feeling totally dialed in and light. The wind died to a slog, then came up to planing again. By this point I did not trust the depth for that speed, so laid down to windward and ended up with my butt applying the brakes hard on the sandy bottom.

Return reach was mostly a slog, with a brief moment of planing. It was getting visibly shallower by the minute, and I had started out badly fatigued anyway, so I decided to quit.

Very short session but absolutely worth the trip and effort, especially the fast ride out, as a much needed sanity restorer. The maddening poison oak on my legs that had kept me mostly sleepless for three days, also seemed to be relieved considerably by the seawater.

Naturally, the wind came up again with caps all across just as I was de-rigging, but it had gotten too shallow.
LeeD

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most guys, at low tides, sail Hart's beach or Doran.
kevinkan

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Crissy on Tuesday: took one run out on 4.6 and was massively OPd... came back in and rigged 4.2. Wind dropped a bit, but I was fine on 4.2/81 for about 90 minutes, then the wind got even lighter. At least I got to see that AC72 get ebbed out The Gate in person Rolling Eyes
https://www.instagram.com/sunsetsailboards
http://www.facebook.com/sunsetsailboards
dllee

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought you hated Crissy. I thought it was your last ditch choice.
See, Crissy can be fun.
dsgrntlxmply

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LeeD wrote:
Most guys, at low tides, sail Hart's beach or Doran.

Rip-rap at Hart's was reworked early this year. Unless you launch from the public boat ramp, it's now a rock climb to get to what used to be the easily accessible patch of sandy beach.

This has turned out to be inconvenient, but given the amount of washover and undermining of the road that had been occurring there during winter storms, it was probably necessary.

Check the WindAlert color bar forecast chart for Bodega this coming Saturday ... and with tides at easily sailable depth during all daylight hours Saturday and Sunday.
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 389, 390, 391 ... 425, 426, 427  Next
Page 390 of 427

Jump to: