myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
ARCHIVE: Where We Sailed Today, Thread Part I.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 385, 386, 387 ... 425, 426, 427  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
segler

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And an extra sweet session on Saturday out of Oyster Point over to the airport. 97L iSonic with a 7.3 NS Ram. Winds around 18-20mph, top speed 32.8mph.

The ebbing current made for odd ripples and some nasty chop at times but Flying Tigers (south of the Genetech campus) remains the perfect slalom course! The flat water of Candlestick plus grassy rigging area and nice jibe buoys on the airport side.
dllee

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Strange late session at Berkeley on Sunday, very well powered 6.6 and 102, flat water with receding tides, only a handful in the water.
dvCali

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

segler wrote:
And an extra sweet session on Saturday out of Oyster Point over to the airport. 97L iSonic with a 7.3 NS Ram. Winds around 18-20mph, top speed 32.8mph.

The ebbing current made for odd ripples and some nasty chop at times but Flying Tigers (south of the Genetech campus) remains the perfect slalom course! The flat water of Candlestick plus grassy rigging area and nice jibe buoys on the airport side.

I am still put off by the place because of the wind shadow ... I think we should dynamite Genentech, or ask them to move the buildings.

Are you sure you are not measuring knots? 32.8 mph is about 28 knots that is my max speed on a Acid 74 ... on a slalom board one should regularly break the 30 knots barrier in flat water ... Very Happy
segler

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 12:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dvCali wrote:

I am still put off by the place because of the wind shadow ... I think we should dynamite Genentech, or ask them to move the buildings.

Are you sure you are not measuring knots? 32.8 mph is about 28 knots that is my max speed on a Acid 74 ... on a slalom board one should regularly break the 30 knots barrier in flat water ... :D

Yeah, the wind shadow makes for an interesting hike :-)

It wasn't knots. The wind wasn't terribly strong for starters (consistently over 1.5x wind speed is not too shabby). The real problem was the jackhammer chop though, induced by the ebb current; especially around the bluff.

Agreed, on a regular strong day 30 kts shouldn't be a problem in that cove.
dvCali

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

segler wrote:

It wasn't knots. The wind wasn't terribly strong for starters (consistently over 1.5x wind speed is not too shabby). The real problem was the jackhammer chop though, induced by the ebb current; especially around the bluff.

aaargh! the chop! Even at the Stick it cuts your speed quite brutally. The only couple of times I broke the 36 knots barrier was in a time window of almost completely flat water ... otherwise Crying or Very sad
ERROR!!!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 3:33 pm    Post subject: Sherman Island Goes Off! Reply with quote

The best wind and wave conditions at Sherman Island this morning!

2012-09-18 very windy.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  225.52 KB
 Viewed:  14371 Time(s)

2012-09-18 very windy.jpg

Last edited by ERROR!!! on Wed Sep 19, 2012 4:41 pm; edited 4 times in total
surfdog55

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Error had it right. The sign delivered! The conditions were all jacked up and there was equipment carnage. First I cracked my open ocean across the top and Error loaned me his 75 ltr (sorry about the ding) Then Rick broke his boom head and his sail panels got blown out. Later someones board broke in two. This mornings was a Sept gift and we jumped all over it.
dsgrntlxmply

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 3:05 pm    Post subject: Bodega, Wed. Sept. 19 afternoon Reply with quote

155L, 6.4. Well-powered at intervals, but the lulls were annoying. Much better than no sailable wind / tide combination for the preceding nine days.

Made one waterstart during an interval with favorable gusts; maybe I'll eventually be willing to put up enough sail and develop better skills to do this more consistently.

Quit at 1715, as it had become inconveniently shallow. Today should be a little better, and Friday and Saturday will have sufficient depth during all typically windy daylight hours.
windward1

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2012 9:13 pm    Post subject: Natural Bridges Reply with quote

Natural Bridges came through again today. The wind hit over 20 mph a couple of times. Eighteen or nineteen in the extended puffs most of the time.

One other windsurfer out. Dolphins in the area and a sea otter and terns. Water was beautiful blues and greens.

I have enjoyed this season and hope it does not come to an abrupt halt. Just too much fun!
dllee

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Berkeley Sat., very good 6.5 and 100 on the 5PM sesh, otherwise just planing.
But Sunday, now dat was fun. Course slalom 6.5 at 3, rising to unmanagable, then a great 6.5 session on 100 with gusts well into the 28's, 5 of 6 jibes inside the third dock fully planing out. I gooned one. Nice 30 jibe session, no falls.
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 385, 386, 387 ... 425, 426, 427  Next
Page 386 of 427

Jump to: