myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
ARCHIVE: Where We Sailed Today, Thread Part I.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 425, 426, 427  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
faradroka1

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steve, Fritz and I went out from 2 - 4 at Rod&Todd, steve and i on 4.5s, fritz ridiculously OP'd on a 5.1, but manly.
The sensor reads from 10 - 30 but its quite not that bad, I believe its placed in a position that doesn't accurately gauge what you will experience on the water. That said, it was gusty, bumpy and fun. a couple of guys on 5.4s, lots of 4s out there. some eastbayers, the isabelles were there too. I spotted some 80's gorge equipment on the water...
flykatcher

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 11:11 am    Post subject: Waddell on a 3.5 Reply with quote

Sessioned at Waddell fully powered on a 3.5 nailing some really fun waverides and enjoying the intense energy out there. Some gusts came thru that I could have been on a 3.0
Super fun !!
swchandler

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Epenrose,

Sorry my post yesterday evening was a bit cryptic, at least for those in the SF bay area. I was sailing in the Santa Barbara area. While the thread was pretty much centered on a bay area theme, I elected to post anyway because we both were sailing alone on what was really a stellar day.

However, based on later posts here, seems that many folks scored at different locales. All in all, it's nice to get good strong frontal winds this late in the Spring.
r_g_armstrong

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tuesday at 3rd was great, 30mph or so in the channel. I was massively overpowered on a 4.5 and 100 liter board (not having my smaller gear), but it was great fun. Saw a sea kayaker right near the channel marker at 5pm, going swiftly downwind.

Wednesday at noon, it was only about 25 to 30 in the channel, and I was nicely powered on a 5.0 and 80 liter board. Only two others out that I saw.

I captured this image from the 3rd Av cam at 5:19. Not sure if that was deliberate.

Rod

3rd at 30mph.jpg
 Description:
3rd Ave, Foster City
 Filesize:  41.91 KB
 Viewed:  37564 Time(s)

3rd at 30mph.jpg

timwnitram

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 12:28 pm    Post subject: Rod and Gun rocked Reply with quote

I was out at Rod and Gun yesterday (4/21) around 4:30 to 6:30 on a 4.2 84ltr and was completely lit. It was a bit holey but man! once you got out towards the navigation channel, hold on! What can you say about a day with nice views, warm water, and warm wind! Smile
YippieYo

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I sailed 3rd as well. Probably one of the windiest days I've ever sailed. Definite smoke on the water. I did indeed use the 15 year old Sailworks 3.5 Cam1 that I excavated from my basement - which was a good choice. But that old thing is not a good sail - it predates x-ply and is almost completely monofilm (crunchy, crispy, old monofilm in particular). I thought it was going to shred itself to bits.

I went out right around 5 too, when it started really blowing. ~30 minutes in, I promptly had a nasty slam, and my thigh got smashed against some combo of sail, board, and water. I sailed out the session for another 1.5 hrs, but could hardly walk up the ramp at the end of my sesh. Now I have this big fluid bubble on my thigh that prevents me from moving my leg too much. Like a super-big charley horse.

Too much board, fin, & sail for ~38 avg. That all being said, I had a great time. It mellowed out a bit, which made sailing in the channel possible. Some swell were 8-10 foot for sure. Also saw someone go out on a 2.9...

now the question is, do I sail today? I walk with a nice (non)pimp limp now, but sailing did not hurt nearly as bad as walking does. probably not a good idea - <sigh>.... I might have to sit this one out today

not to rub it in, but glad i did not do Crissy. I chose based on warmth, like some other people.

get out there again today if you can!

3rd_052108.gif
 Description:
windy windy windy
 Filesize:  15.39 KB
 Viewed:  37319 Time(s)

3rd_052108.gif

THOMMA

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 12:53 pm    Post subject: Yesterdays North Wind Reply with quote

I was out at Rio yesterday at 4:00. Down by the powerlines it was blowing out of the North but at the access it was WNW. I had my 110 Board and a 5.5 sail. I'm 6'4 - 265lb, and was having a great time with all of the other 5 sailors. I was a little holey, but always a good time. The water is starting to warm up. See you all there today.
Matt
astro_mcd

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

May 21 diary: forgot my small sail so with a 5.4 went to Palo Alto. There were sympathetic sailors warning against 5.4. Managed to hold on to it for two hours with 90 lt board, 180 pound weight, and not much skill.

It was nasty gusty, shifty at PA. A few times got backwinded at speed.
Although I was sailing with brakes on, managed to get above 30mph around relatively flat parts of the water. I was expecting a flatter water in PA but only near the shore this was possible.

Hope today-tomorrow will be better for all. Question
brain_hurts

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hit Palo Alto yesterday around 5:30 with 5.2 85L (175lbs). I was instantly wishing for a smaller sail. WTF was I thinking? Smile

Highlights include a high speed belly flop that landed me 35 feet from my rig (not sure exactly how) and a few jumps over 5'.

Held onto it for almost 2hrs and today I feel like I got run over by a truck. Brought my 4.0 and 4.7 to work so I might survive another session today. Razz
Wind_Boarder

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

brain_hurts wrote:
Hit Palo Alto yesterday around 5:30 with 5.2 85L (175lbs). I was instantly wishing for a smaller sail. WTF was I thinking? Smile

Highlights include a high speed belly flop that landed me 35 feet from my rig (not sure exactly how) and a few jumps over 5'.

Held onto it for almost 2hrs and today I feel like I got run over by a truck. Brought my 4.0 and 4.7 to work so I might survive another session today. Razz

Hey Hurting Brainman!

Do I know you? I think it might be me that ran you over yesterday Very Happy
What a session!

Alak.
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 425, 426, 427  Next
Page 3 of 427

Jump to: