myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Leo sensor jacked up again!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jp5

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Regardless of each individuals version of "EPIC" the Leo crew TORE THE PLACE A PART YESTERDAY!!! Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil
nealpar

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jpbassking wrote:
Regardless of each individuals version of "EPIC" the Leo crew TORE THE PLACE A PART YESTERDAY!!!

Laughing "each individual's version of "epic". Now that's funny. And so is the rest of the comment.
jp5

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nealpar wrote:
jpbassking wrote:
Regardless of each individuals version of "EPIC" the Leo crew TORE THE PLACE A PART YESTERDAY!!!

Laughing "each individual's version of "epic". Now that's funny. And so is the rest of the comment.

Alas, Leo's very own shred betty wasn't happy. Something about the wind not being consistant enough. Boo hoo... Crying or Very sad
theq

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I think there may be a common thread, in this particular thread. (Hmmm...? Is a MB that has no postings considered "threadbare"?) The guys who had the most fun were either the ones who rigged the right sail (I was not one of those guys, and was too lazy to re-rig. It also wasn't an easy call because of lighter going through the impact zone.). After 1st bringing a 5.0 down to rig, I went with the 5.5 because that size seemed to be working well for those already on the water. Mistake. I too was never dialed in, and therefore was really fighting the rope on the cinched-nut steer.
While I'm glad that those who made better choices of equipment enjoyed their go-outs, I was not one of them. Sure, it beats working. But sometimes getting "worked over" doesn't do so by much.
After conferring with one more versed in physics than I (Truth be told, my dog has more expertise there than I.), we concluded that a lot of the enjoyment derived from such days on the water can be attributable to the ability to counteract the forces of the wind through the forces of gravity, i.e. carrying more pounds. Perhaps if I'd had 40 lbs. lashed to my back, I would have been able to have a more stable ride. But alas, at 158 lbs., the advantage goes to the wind. So, it's either eat more, drink more, or carry extra pounds in an external sack (Works for the steer Wink). Oh, and there's also the chance of rigging the right sail in the first place. Now that's what I call a "fat chance" Laughing
bbrand

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 4:21 pm    Post subject: Cabrillo has been rocking Reply with quote

...with only a handful of sailors on the water. And parking has been free the last two times I sailed there.

Yesterday I was overpowered on a 5.2 - 175 lbs. Nice swells on the outside and some rideable breakers on the inside. No where near as good of surf as Leo, but no kiters or surfers either.

A similar day 15 years ago would have seen 25 sailors on the water. There were 6 yesterday at 4-5 p.m. and hardly a soul before then.
MikeUzi

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some good points made by all. I was having a blast on my 4.7 (I'm 160lbs) but did pay for it by taking a couple sets on the head in the lighter impact zone. I'd say the wind on the outside was epic, but the waves were not.
jp5

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How many days a year do we get 3-5 ft surf and 20kts of wind at Leo, at the same time?? We are talking about Southern California here guys. Rolling Eyes
tony

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not going to get into the discussion of whether Wed was epic or not. [When people talk about "epic" it always reminds me of "Monty Python and the Holy Grail" where the tag line said "Makes Ben Hur look like an epic".] I had a blast both days, but am definitely feeling my age after 2 big days. I'm one of those soft-bellied fifty-somethings everyone was talking about last summer.

I definitely agree with NP that the waves were better on Monday: bigger, cleaner and more consistent. As for the wind, it was steadier on Monday but a bit light. Wednesday it was much more variable both in location and time. I rigged a 5.8 and was rarely underpowered even near the beach, but I was overpowered frequently on the outside - better than being trashed in the surf zone!
nealpar

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did anybody sail at Leo today? I'd be curious if it was "less epic" or "more epic" than yesterday. Laughing
MalibuGuru

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The longer I live, the more I realize the impact of attitude on life. Attitude to me is more important than facts. It is more important than the past, than education, than money, than circumstances, than failures, than successes, than what people think or say or do. It is more important than appearance, giftedness or skill. It will make or break a company....a church....a team....a home. The remarkable thing is we have a choice every day regarding the attitude we will embrace for that day. We cannot change our past...we cannot change the fact that people will act in a certain way. We cannot change the inevitable. The only thing we can do is play on the one string we have, an that is our attitude....I am convinced that life is 10% what happens to me and 90% how I react to it. And so it is with you....we are in charge of our ATTITUDES. "When you think there is nothing left, reach within and dig deeper", Believe in yourself"

Leo was not epic, but I thought it was epic.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 3 of 8

Jump to: