myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Used Windsurfing Equipment

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
commoncold

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 12:16 pm    Post subject: Used Windsurfing Equipment Reply with quote

Hi I am an old man now and I have a ton of old windsurfing equipment ranging from 8-15 years old, some was never used and they are just sitting in the garage collecting dust. I have 3 boards, a mistral DCS (maybe 2, one never used) and another unknown brand. I have a couple wetsuits, at least one thick coldwater wetsuit. I originally paid lots of money for the equipment but was wondering if they have any value now? Or are they throw-aways?
wynsurfer

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't throw that old stuff away! Place an add in the buy/sell at the top of the page. It's free.
commoncold

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I just wanted this stuff gone today, what is a really low-ball price I could get? 50$ or 500$? Obviously there's lots of variables, but lets just say it's all used but in fair condition, needs a little dusting but is otherwise in good condition, how much is it worth? Appraisal?
isobars

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What's the gear? Where are you?
MalibuGuru

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most 10-15 year old gear is worth nothing. Except to a young kid who wants to learn on free gear. Then, you are a hero for zero. I'd say try to find a kids windsurfing camp to give it to, or some locals who volunteer to teach.

What about the Berkeley (Cal Windsurfing club). Don't they let kids use the gear for free??
Waterat Pat

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 7:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What about the Berkeley (Cal Windsurfing club). Don't they let kids use the gear for free??[/quote]

Why not just donate your stuff to the club if its beginner gear. They probably don't want your old slalom board.
dhmark

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 9:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

People sell off whole lots of stuff on EBay all the time. some sellers are lazy and vague, others quite specifically itemize, carefully describe. I sell all the time on EBay (am willing to ship) and feel that (to me) I get a fair return and the buyer gets a good deal. Let the market decide what your stuff is worth. The more specific you are about exactly what you have and the condition it is in the better. Selling off each specific item will probably make you multiples more money, willingness to ship helps a lot (I have never wanted to shipped a board, thus they have sold ultra cheap). dhmark
ColdWater

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 4:58 pm    Post subject: any newbies in your area? Reply with quote

I usually just give away or accept a small cash donation for my old gear. If it's gear you would still use if you had nothing else it's worth giving to someone just getting into windsurfing. My gross this season for one board + foil bag, 4 sails, 1 mast, 2 booms plus some small stuff is $100. Basically backup gear sitting in the basement gathering dust and spider webs. The newbie who purchased the gear seemed to be very happy. He now has a complete 100L kit. Hopefully I will not trash any of my primary gear. Hopefully he will stick with windsurfing & join our small community of windsurfers up here.
DelCarpenter

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2013 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Local market prices, especially for hard to ship items, vary widely.

Selling a large collection for one price will not bring as good a price as selling items separately or in matched packages. About 4 weeks ago I sold in IA as a package 7.4, 6.2 & 5.4 sails, 490 & 460 masts, and a 45 cm extension for $262.50. About two weeks later an eBay auction of a large 1990s collection located near Kansas City MO brought in only $500 for 5 boards (Mistral Equipe, F2 Lightning Race, Alpha 343, Bic Samba & Mistral Screamer) 6 sails (6.4 to 4.7, mostly monofilm), 4 clamp-on booms, 2 two piece masts, 2 one piece masts, 3 mast bases, & one mast extension went for only $500. Figure resale prices as Equipe $200-400, F2 Lighning Race $150-300, Alpha 343 (68 cm wide) $150-300. The buyer of that collection got everything else for free and can make some money if he/she has storage space, patience and can do some marketing.

Guesstimate pricing in the midwest for 1990s equipment: name race boards $200-400, long boards suitable as paddle boards or beginner boards $150-300, narrow long boards under 330 cm $75-150 or nothing, narrow short boards $ ??, sails $50 with no repairs down to $25 with duct tape repairs, two piece masts $40, clamp-on boom $40, mast extension $15-$25, mast base $25-$40. The above estimates are for items in ordinary condition. Sails that are pretty will be more, booms with the grip in bad condition will be less, etc.
smith23

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 1:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

These equipment has good value yet. But change of technology reduce the importance of used equipment. But they can be used in parts.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: