myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
San Luis/O'Neil Forebay
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dfthrash

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2008 10:37 pm    Post subject: San Luis/O'Neil Forebay Reply with quote

I'm thinking of heading to SL/OFB from the mountains if the wind looks to be decent. Anyone sailed there recently? Is the Madeiras camping area open and grass mowed? Water levels seem to be holding around 220 which in years past has been adequate. Any current reports? Thanks!
jimwilkins

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2008 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was there most of the season last year, the campground is well kept. The wind can pick up at night so be sure to find good shelter for you site. Near the gate there are some good trees to shade you from wind. Nobody there too!

The reaches are short and the waterlevel drops quick. Very shallow in some areas so be carefull.
goinoff

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2008 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I camped/sailed there about a month ago and everything is OK except the
Basalt Campground (Up next to the dam) is closed until July. The ranger
said they were replacing some piping at Basalt and that's why it's closed.
As a result, the campground in the upper part of the forebay was
completely full and the Medeiros area was 3/4 full. Medeiros is OK is you
sleep in your car, but if you use a tent and it's windy, ya get pounded..
Basalt is nice because it's in a wind shadow. Anyhow, sailed on O'neil
side which had been mowed but was also full of duck shit..Get it now,
weeds on the way soon...

For more info on the area check out:

http://www.parks.ca.gov/pages/558/files/sanluisSRA.pdf

Last edited by goinoff on Thu May 15, 2008 2:56 pm; edited 1 time in total
ctuna

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2008 2:41 pm    Post subject: I have been there about 4 times this year watch the water le Reply with quote

The water level seems to be decent now but at the beginning of the year they were running at 216, which is pretty much empty . Check the hourly water level from the link under info for the site. I wouldn't go unless it was 219.5 and rising. I was there Wed of the week before last it was OK also for big blow about a week and half before that. Its already showing a little free floating weeds. I want to do at least one of the ABK freestyle classes withe Andy in June . Anybody else going it looks like they have plenty of slots open. Anyway back to the subject it sure isn't the great season we had last year so far . I sailed San Luis 6 times in March last year on smaller than 5.0's

Last edited by ctuna on Sun May 18, 2008 2:09 pm; edited 1 time in total
christopher_cf

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2008 9:47 pm    Post subject: ABK clinics here on May 30-June 1, June 6-8, June 12-15 Reply with quote

FYI, ABKBoardSports will be running 3 3-day weekend windsurfing clinics at the San Luis Reservoir O'Neill Forebay starting May 30. Just wanted to let you know that we'll be out there Very Happy --Christopher
http://abkboardsports.com
salty-skin

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ABK camp...
Christopher, are you going to be at both the san luis and rio vista camps again this year? I'm trying to pick my weekend. It seems like the wind was very consistent last year for rio vista, but I don't know what it's like down at san luis.

How would you compare the two sites for the abk camp?

Anthony
christopher_cf

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 4:45 pm    Post subject: ABK camps at San Luis Reservoir vs. Rio Vista Reply with quote

How's it going Anthony?

Over the past couple of years, the ABK camps at Rio Vista have been windier than the San Luis Reservoir camps. That being said, I view the two spots as serving different purposes:

San Luis Reservoir's flat water excels for working on planing jibes, carving tricks, (360, etc.), and small-pop freestyle (Vulcan, Spock, Flaka, etc.).

Rio Vista's rapid fire chop is best if you want to get air (chop-hop, jump jibes, shove-its, loops, etc.).

San Luis's water is very clean (reservoir), Rio Vista's water is not.

San Luis is stand-up shallow everywhere but the channel, Rio Vista is only shallow in the playpen.

Rio Vista gets hotter on its hottest days than San Luis.

Rio Vista can get crowded with many other windsurfers and some kiters. We usually have San Luis all to ourselves and no kiters, nor boats nor fishermen to deal with.

But after all that, I really enjoy sailing and teaching windsurfing in both places. I will most likely be at all 5 camps.

See you there,
Christopher
ctuna

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2008 9:54 am    Post subject: There are three San Luis Camps listed is Andy a the first? Reply with quote

There are three San Luis Camps listed, is Andy a the first?
I'm just trying to get verification but it looks like he's only at the second and third according to there schedule I didn't get a reply to the Emails I sent.
christopher_cf

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2008 11:31 am    Post subject: Andy Brandt will be at all of the ABK California camps Reply with quote

I just talked to Andy last night as he is currently running the ABK Long Island New York clinic. Andy Brandt, Matt Case, and I will be teaching at all of the ABK California camps in May and June. --Christopher
ctuna

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2008 1:16 pm    Post subject: Excuse me for trying to get specific Reply with quote

But there are no double stars on the schedule for the first camp . This usually means no freestyle group . Is this correct and does it even make a difference?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: