myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
may 9, thursday bay area wind, what did you find?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
faradroka1

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2008 1:43 pm    Post subject: may 9, thursday bay area wind, what did you find? Reply with quote

because you can't trust the sensors, i'm using you as my archived wind dummy.

sat watching minimal (16 - 19 mph) sailing at berkeley marina from 2:30pm to 3:30 pm ( took a cat nap too! ), looked at iwindsurf for the bay area and headed to 3rd Avenue. Left at 4pm which avoided to some degree the traffic. good wind in the channel on my 5.6, it died quite suddenly and slogged in, swam a hundred yards. Did anyone do Pt. isabel thursday? it looked teasingly good from the graphs, but you never know.

this is second day in a row that 3rd died suddenly, around 6pm, unusual i think for the area.

we need a "swimming" emoticon...
charlie12

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2008 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i saw in the news thay had some kind of spill.in..San Pablo Bay...
the numbers did look good for pI,
i got some sailing in there sunday
as for may 8 i sailed alameda

http://cbs5.com/environment/richmond.chemical.spill.2.718528.html

Last edited by charlie12 on Fri May 09, 2008 2:04 pm; edited 1 time in total
hemmy007

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2008 2:04 pm    Post subject: Herd Ave 5 or 6 PM Shut off Reply with quote

Herd Ave 5 or 6 PM Shut off is pretty common this time of year when the wind starts up early in the afternoon. Often, it is less of a shut off and more of a wind shift from WNW/NW to W or WSW...

When this wind shift happens and it is not that windy, the wind near the beach will not be filled in on the water and the swim meet starts. Wink

Herd Ave is not a great places to sail anyway, Coyote is much better.

Remember, do not sail further than you are able and ready to swim back.
veterduet

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2008 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pt. Isabel was great!!! 5.3 (and I could have rigged smaller). From 2PM to 4PM it was a steady 18-20 and then got stronger (better than the sensor showed). It was pretty much onshore toward Marina Bay, so you could launch anywhere - although the end of Marina Bay was best. No island wind shadow. Where was everyone?
kevinkan

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2008 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Three of us sailed Haskins. If you've never sailed there before, just know that you want a LOT of water if you want to avoid trudging through the muck to get in and out of the water. Yesterday's evening 6' tide was a real pleasure, as we were able to get in and out w/o getting any mud on us.

As for the conditions... we got on the water around 3:30 or 4:00. Wind was strong... in the 20-25 range. There were only three of us, and we rigged 4.2 (shitan), 4.7 (me), and the third sail was a 5.4 (markpaine)? The wind was really nice for the first 30 minutes. It actually picked up a notch, and everybody had to add outhaul or adjust something. Then the wind got really holey and seemed to shut off by 6pm.

I had a really good time.

https://www.instagram.com/sunsetsailboards
http://www.facebook.com/sunsetsailboards
markpaine

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2008 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kevinkan wrote:
As for the conditions... we got on the water around 3:30 or 4:00. Wind was strong... in the 20-25 range. There were only three of us, and we rigged 4.2 (shitan), 4.7 (me), and the third sail was a 5.4 (markpaine)?

Actually Kev, I was on 5.0 90 liters, OPed at the start, fed up by 6:00 Mad

-Mark
beallmd

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2008 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was at "herd ave"; great name, last 2 days. weds was quite a lot better than thurs. did die rather suddenly; a little earlier than usual in my experience. luckily both days I started early-felt bad for the guys rushing there after work. Tide was 2 knots and a problem more on thurs than weds when the wind was def more filled in. Most interesting to me was the fact there were more windsurfers than Kiters-could it be their sport has reached it's peak and is in decline? I can't remember the last time ws outnumbered Kites there. Was there a kite convention I wasn't aware of? are they all at waddell/Scott's?
mogunn

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2008 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Coyote 3:30-4:30, 4.9/66
Much steadier than the day before. The chop was more fun too.

SWE106

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2008 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sailed waddell: solid 5.0/5.3 conditions, filled in all the way. Winds were W first, but clocked WNW. Normally it kinda dies abrubtly at waddell after 5pm, but it actually increased and stayed good until almost 6:30pm

some pics are at http://forums.iWindsurf.com/viewtopic.php?t=14636
YippieYo

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2008 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

beallmd wrote:
...luckily both days I started early-felt bad for the guys rushing there after work....

i felt sorry for myself too. luckily I did not even rig though - it's worse to rig up only to have it die either while you are walking your gear down to the water, or after 1 nice powered reach.

"herd" ave, eh?... ok...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: