myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
what to do with 2.9, 3.0, 3.5, 4 etc. never used sails
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
theq

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2008 8:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nealpar wrote:

Or you could give them away.... I think it's impossible to sell old stuff anymore.

Yes, it's difficult for "old stuff" to get attention, much less bought, despite its nearly new conditon. For starters, "we" like to refer to such things as "well preserved". Sometimes you just can't give such things away. Cool

I remember working with a girl who was married to a much older dude. In conversations amongst ourselves, behind his hunched back, and far away from his hearing aid, my co-employees and I would refer to her hubby as "Old Meat". It's disturbing that age-wise I've caught up with old "Old Meat". Perhaps it would be better to become "Old Cheese", where one could cut off the moldy parts and enjoy what fine aging has to offer. One may, however, be advised to stay well upwind of old cheese. Sure you can use old sails and eat old meat. But why?

Now that that's off my old chest, I'd say give the stuff away. But, nealpar's on to something with the idea of reusing them if one could find a way. Maybe we could donate them to that "Christo" dude that does all of those massive displays of art? Maybe our resident artist, Rowena, can come up with something? Dotting the hills above Malibu with old masts and sails, like Christo's umbrellas?
jp5

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2008 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Take them to Berkeley, rig them and plant them out in the water next to the highway.
dabull1

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2008 10:40 am    Post subject: Keep 'em Reply with quote

Da Bull's Creed... mo' stuff is bettah! Anyone who has been to my palacial estate has seen the "Shrine." Within it's hallowed roof reside trophies and souvenirs of almost thirty years of windblown ecstacy. Where else could you find a universal base from a Dufour Wing, circa 1979? Howz'bout a quiver of Mark Angulo Pryde wave sails? An original Ampro Grey mast or maybe the Red with the little strips of carbon on each side? Boards you ask... Seatrend[3], Mistral[1], F2[4], Campbell[!!!][1],Bruce Jone's double concave,one of THE first, Mike's Lab[1], Naish[3]... shall I continue? It broke my heart when a friend of mine, who runs the Shrine Annex at his place, mistakenly[???] sent my W/S Rocket 88 and 99 to the Salvation Army, the insensitive bastard! So to avoid future such tragedies, we recently doubled the size of the Shrine, who's roofline now resembles the Maui Sails logo! And of course, we have the Maui Mobile Shrine which houses another four boards and God knows how many sails! Sickness, damned straight... obsession,yup...will I ever part with my W/S stuff... to quote the late Charlton Heston, only when "pryed from my cold, dead fingers!" Bull
Arrgh

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2008 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kipps wrote:
...I'd say toss them. Even though they're 'new', sails have come a long way since then... it's actually a dis-service to a newbie to 'train' them on such ancient and user-unfriendly equipment (cambered three-meter sail?).

Amen!
edalunan

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2008 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keep them out of the landfill. Recycle them properly.
swchandler

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2008 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm like the daBull with a large collection of old relics. I've got 9 boards stored in my home, to include many many old sails. I've even got two old Windwing wave sails from 1987 with the cutout on the upper leech, a 44 and a 50 sq foot (before Hansen started using metric sizing). I even have the 7+ pound old black Kilwell mast to actually rig them up, to include an old tie-on Windsurfing Hawaii 100 degree aluminum boom.

In my van I've got 6 more boards and a healthy quiver of sails, masts, booms, extensions, etc. The number of fins that I have is amazing, to include quite a few that I've never even used (many that I've had for years).

I shudder to think how much money was spent on all the stuff over the years, and now it's worth virtually nothing. However, maybe, just maybe, this old stuff will become valuable some day like old surfboards from the 60s. All the boards are customs, so there's some faint possibility I might be sitting on a gold mine. Foolish dreams really, but what's one to do with a colorful past?
jp5

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2008 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Foolish dreams really, but what's one to do with a colorful past?"

Reminisce with old friends over a bottle of tequila?
nealpar

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2008 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

swchandler wrote:
I shudder to think how much money was spent on all the stuff over the years, and now it's worth virtually nothing.

But the memories are priceless!!!
nealpar

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2008 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

theq wrote:

Yes, it's difficult for "old stuff" to get attention, much less bought, despite its nearly new conditon. For starters, "we" like to refer to such things as "well preserved". Sometimes you just can't give such things away. Cool

Are you talking about sails or "something else"? Smile

Ah, don't be so negative. Whatever you think about and believe with conviction = what manifests!
WindsurfUtah

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2008 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

use www.freecycle.org

or donate them to your local windsurfing association. They could probably place them in the right persons hands.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: