myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
San Francisco Bay - wind season?
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
clebeck

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2008 1:18 pm    Post subject: San Francisco Bay - wind season? Reply with quote

When does the wind season usually end? Late season, how are the wind stats for Waddell and Davenport versus the Bay (Crissy)?
Any information is highly appreciated (it is my first season here).
Thanks,
CL
mac

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2008 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I sailed easily into October, and into December on either formula gear or storms.
Epenrose

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2008 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

San Mateo coast and North coast blow usually March through October.

In between you get a day every once in a while and can sail on a South storm wind.

Mostly everyone heads down the coast when the swell is up, like today, and give it a miss when flat, especially with good old gas prices.
beallmd

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2008 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Waddell; best MAR-JUNE, spotty July-September, Heavy kite infestation. Davy; same season, rare kites. Bay-april through sept. some in mar, oct. Coyote/3rd most afternoons has sailing, Kites not much of a problem at 3rd usually-system works well. A tad lighter at Berkeley, but a bit colder and more chop. I find it to be marginal most of the time. Crissey-many issues here, Cold water, potential whitey visits, Fog comes in and shuts down in a hurry leaving you stranded in Heavy current and Ship traffic. Be careful, but one of the premier spots. Treasure; iffy access, can get stranded but overall probably best wind on the bay. Sherman- WARM! in PM, colder in AM, wind comes and goes a bit, but an essential part of the sailing scene. San Luis; kind of the middle of nowhere-great if you happen to live nearby. Hope that helps.
victor

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2008 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
potential whitey visits

there have been rumors and numerous photoshopped pictures of sharks inside the bay but i nor anyone i know has ever seen one.

possible but not likely. of course, they said that about san diego unitl last week.

there are some issues with boat traffic, breakdowns, wind dying and the currents but the good news is that there are always plenty of other sailers and boaters to lend a hand or at least call the coast gaurd which is stationed very close by if not actually cruising the bay.

as far as the season, april thru september it is a pretty sure bet that you can sail somewhere in the area almost every day. the rest of the year there is usually some storm sailing. last year i sailed at least twice in every month except december.
mnisam

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2008 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

By the way, you can check archive winds from iwindsurf... just look at location, and then "Wind Archive" ...
mn Razz
beallmd

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2008 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vistor responded about sharks in "the Bay". I believe pretty much everyone agrees there would not be whites at coyote or Davis pt etc. But we know the sharks are ever present at the Marin Coast, Farallons and San Mateo county and Santa Cruz area. As far as whether they enter the Gate on the currents, it seems a good bet they do, but there is no direct evidence for it. As far as not seeing them, when we were young, raised on the peninsula, we surfed from half moon bay to santa cruz and one of our favorite summer breaks was Ano Nuevo and County Line; what we now call Waddell. We never SAW any sharks there but we know all too well that is shark central, so, so much for seeing them. What I always wonder is did they see Us? I certainly bet they did! If you get the chance definately go see the Bay Model in sausalito. It really puts the bay in perspective and you will be amazed how deep the Gate is. Who knows whats down there. http://www.spn.usace.army.mil/bmvc/
pierrews

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2008 11:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

and me who swaped a waddell session for crissy field on saturday because I was getting scared after last week sharks attacks Sad
I should go to waddell all the time Smile now that crissy field may have great whites. Well one has to accept the risks of the pacific I guess.

clebeck, from november till feb the wind is behaving differently but you can still sail from crissy to princeton harbor, to roosevelt beach to waddell and davenport, maybe less often though.
Experienced locals told me "the season ends like a lamb" ie not clear end.

beallmd, interesting that Waddell was called Coutny line few years back.
carl

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2008 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pierrews wrote:
and me who swaped a waddell session for crissy field on saturday because I was getting scared after last week sharks attacks Sad
I should go to waddell all the time Smile now that crissy field may have great whites. Well one has to accept the risks of the pacific I guess.

clebeck, from november till feb the wind is behaving differently but you can still sail from crissy to princeton harbor, to roosevelt beach to waddell and davenport, maybe less often though.
Experienced locals told me "the season ends like a lamb" ie not clear end.

beallmd, interesting that Waddell was called Coutny line few years back.

Whites go where their favorite food is (seals). If you see alot of seals, then you-know-who is probably there too. It's rare to see a seal anywhere south of the bay bridge or east of Treasure Is.

As for the "end of season" generally Nov 1st thru Feb 28th is clearly off season, but you can find wind then too. Generally it's storm sailing or
light NWerlies with big equipment during the off season with lots of no-wind days in between.
madspaniard

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2008 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always wondered what was up with those headless seal carcasses at Waddell and Davenport until I asked a biologist that works for my company. He said there is a guy who lives nearby and happens to be a head colllector and is also doing some sort of research on seal mortality so he cuts the heads off and takes them with him for further examination. I don't know which one to believe, sharks or crazy researcher?

About seals up the bay, there is an interesting group of seals living way up the San Joaquin river, in front of the former DuPony Oakley Site (Lauritzen Marina) by the red bouys.

Yesterday one playful seal puppy kept checking me out at Brooks Island by the sandbar.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: