myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
SF Oil Spill
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
89Spring

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 6:35 am    Post subject: SF Oil Spill Reply with quote

SF Oil Spill, hows it after a few months? That happened end of summer I believe? Just curious how things are doing after some time. Getting ready to head back to CA the breeze here is dropping and looking like its getting windy out there. No breeze makes for good spearfishing and fresh Hogfish tastes good, but no sailling.
madspaniard

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sailing thu the winter no visible signs of the oil spill, last time they mentioned laboratory results on TV things were back to normal in the water, dunno about wildlife
carl

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bunker oil sinks in water in about 2 weeks, after the aromatics evaporate
off. So the nasty stuff is still on the bottom of the bay. No visable signs on the surface water though. They were picking up tar balls on the beaches and dead birds for months after the spill. Not really sure if the rocky areas along the shore have been cleaned well, like around north side of GG bridge area or the rocks at Berkeley. I haven't sailed there since the accident.
The SF bay pilot who was responsible did get a feloney conviction though.
No evidence of oil at Coyote, but the spill never got that far south into the bay.
victor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i sailed berkeley the day of the spill and didn't even know it had happened. there were globs on the beaches for a week or two but within less than a month you wouldn't know it ever happened. don't know what it looks like down below, though.

it's not like it would stop us, anyway. i recall a raw sewage spill several years ago. signs were put up right at the launch warning us to stay out. by the next day someone had taken the signs down. last year there was talk of high bacterial count in the delta. i saw ONE guy rinsing off with antibacterial soap.

the object of windsurfing is to stay on top of the water, right?
jse

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

victor wrote:
i sailed berkeley the day of the spill and didn't even know it had happened. there were globs on the beaches for a week or two but within less than a month you wouldn't know it ever happened. don't know what it looks like down below, though.

Hey Victor, you must have sailed with me. I'm not sure if that was the day Jason Voss was doing a photo shoot sailing in boardshorts. It was overcast and cold if I recall. I did not notice it on the water, but there was a black splotch of foreign matter on the bottom of my board when I got out. It was about golf ball sized. I'm sure it was oil by the way it came off.

Steve
charlie12

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i see one or two oil balls in the sand at low tied at pt emery
more then one kiter has oil on there kite.
i still see dead birds.
charlie12

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i see one or two oil balls in the sand at low tied at pt emery
more then one kiter has oil on there kite.
i still see dead birds.
BillTurner

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was fuel oil, NOT raw oil. Fuel oil oil breaks up much more rapidly and does have the same long lasting effects as raw oil spills do.
charlie12

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

it was bunker C
you want some, ill give you some...
like tar or honey.
mac

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bunker C, scraped off the rocks but with a residue left. The pilot has been charged, not convicted. Lawsuits have just started, and the companies will eventually pay damages for resource damage (natural resource defense account), which may end up going to City's and marina's that had costs, as well as probably some to habitat restoration. Safe to sail, and the amount of oil spilled is roughly comparable to what comes out of the storm drains (mostly from our roads) every winter. It was very sad to see.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: