myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
4/19 -- Has it ever been that windy before?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jkayes

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 2:17 pm    Post subject: 4/19 -- Has it ever been that windy before? Reply with quote

On Sunday, I spoke to a lot of sore people and shared stories about the previous day. People reported that at sites from Tomales to Davenport they were overpowered on their smallest sail or stuck on the beach (personally, the grin from my epic session at Davenport is still beaming --anyone take pictures?). And people also reported that they had never seen a day like that before. So, what I'm wondering is whether anyone recalls a day that windy before? Yes, every year there are a handful of days where the wind is howling and it doesn't matter where you go, but has there ever been a day where at every site people were overpowered sailing their smallest gear (which was probably purchased for trips to the Gorge) or getting blown off the water like Saturday?
madspaniard

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tomales Bay was off the chart, blown out of the water, more people watching than sailing. I was on a 77-liter and 3.8 and had to take several breaks to think again why I was doing this but the adrenaline rush kept me going. A local sailor, heavier than me, was out on a 3.0 sail well powered up until he put a hole in the sail. Jse took some footage of Brad, Kevin and I with Kev's camera.
windfind

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 2:37 pm    Post subject: Tomales wind... Reply with quote

After almost 20 years forecasting in the Bay Area and sailing for 30 years my records say it was the 2nd. strongest spring or summer day I have seen.

About 10 years ago there was one day at Tomales that I, 180 lbs, was blown off the water on my wife's 2.7 and by 4PM a guy on a 3.0 weighing over 220 lbs. did one 100 yard run before exploding and heading back. I would guess the gusts were to 55 knots.

But last Sunday was the windiest day in my experience for sites all over the Bay.

Mike Godsey
iwindsurf.com/ikitesurf.com
bradj

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the most important question is,

"When will we get a repeat of last Saturday?"

(hopefully AFTER I get a 2.9 as my 3.5 was a tad too big at Tomales)
jse

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can think of one windier day, but I don't know if it was everywhere. It was around 1988-89 or thereabouts. I went to Coyote Pt. (back then it was the place). I was sailing a glass Haut chophopper and a 3.7 sail. I'd sail about 200 yds. off the beach, explode and come back. Next day I went back to Coyote Pt. to sail, and checked the weather sheet they used to post on the snack shack window. It said the previous days max wind was 53 Mph.

My experience at Tomales on Saturday was that I was comfortable, but way overpowered on a 75 Liter board and a 4.0 SuperFreak, rigged with more DH than I usually use. I was making my gybes and having fun. Then (check the graph) at 1:15, the wind ramped up 5 mph, with gusts to 45+. It was then that I had to unhook sailing on port (into the swell). I even borrowed a 72 Liter board and a 3.7 sail, and experienced the same thing, i.e., having to unhook on port. When I have to unhook it's time for me to quit.

Steve
cherrywood182

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was out on Saturday at third avenue about 5pm. I had on a 4.0 and my 64l board. I was able to make a few runs out and back and even made one jibe, but I daren't go out beyond waist deep water in case I had to walk back to shore. At one point the gusts were so vicious I couldn't water start. As soon as I lifted the sail the whole rig left the water. I estimated this was over 50 knot gusts. At one crazy point, the top of my mast dug into the mud and the whole board ended up flying above me like a flag on a flagpole. What really made me feel that this was a whole different ball of wax was the way the water at the top of the chop was boiling in the gusts and then ripping off horizontally. It was like the air and the water was starting to mix and the line where water ended and air started was getting blurred. That's when I called it a day and headed in.
h2oshots

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We were out earlier in an 18 Zodiac shooting the Woodies and I noted to
my buddy Peter, " I haven't seen it like this in YEARS...the massive swell combing with the ebb and the (I'm gonna kick myself fer saying this) " Nuku-lar Winds"

Serious troughs followed by set after set of wind waves...

No these days are few and far between, and much rarer on a weekend! Hope everyong got their fill...til next time! Very Happy
johnl

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it was last year, but I had one day at Sherman which was worse for me. I was at powerlines and went out on a 3.7 and 75l board (I weight 175 and that is my smallest setup). I was doing okay at first (wind was in the mid 30's average) and was having fun. Then it picked up. Eventually I had to come off the water since I was getting over powered.

I looked at the pager and it showed the sensor at 12 to be in the mid 30's and the sensor at 14 in the upper 30's. So I de-rigged and drove down to the Rio Vista Windsurfing launch below the road by Access. I didn't even look at the water. I just re-rigged and headed up over the hill to launch. A bunch of guys were on the shore and asked me what I was on. I told them and they gave me a sad look (probably thought I was heading off to my death). Well I hit the water, jumped up on a plane and was totally out of control. I barely made it 3/4 of the way across the river before fell trying to turn. I managed to get the rig turned around and popped back up. I held on for my life coming back (never got hooked in). I ended up about 200 yards down river and had to carry my gear over the levy in the wind and surf. Definately one moment I don't want to repeat.

I don't remember the exact number, but during the time period I was out, the wind was averaging 40 or higher during that time period according to the sensor. The sad thing was, I left after that (had enough), but 30 minutes later the winds dropped back down to the mid 30's and stayed there Evil or Very Mad
vadler

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

June 6, 2006, big Sunday. It might not have been quite as windy at 3rd on that day, but the swell was the biggest I have ever seen there - 10ft+ . Sadly, I did not get out this past Sat.

I'm still wondering what conditions make for the biggest swell on the Bay.
h2oshots

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vadler wrote:
June 6, 2006, big Sunday. It might not have been quite as windy at 3rd on that day, but the swell was the biggest I have ever seen there - 10ft+ . Sadly, I did not get out this past Sat.

I'm still wondering what conditions make for the biggest swell on the Bay.

A true WSWswell, ( 235-240 degrees magnetic) unimpeded by Point Bonita with an ebb tide. Throw 30 knots on top of that and then you have
the day before 4/20's conditions! Wink
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: