myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Candlestick rescue Video-
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
isobars

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2008 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Salt water purists may criticize the Gorge all they want for the fact that it's just a string of lakes, but that's just one of the reasons I don't get scared trying almost any conditions there. Even if the wind goes berserk or simply shuts down in mid-jump and/or three pieces of gear fail, we can (almost) always get our butts and most of our gear back to dry, inhabited land without help. The exceptions are generally cliffs, disabling injury, and barges we can't swim clear of ... all rare. The other problem is serious cold weather, and neoprene and brains take care of that.

I envy you Bay sailors your reliable winds and long season, but I don't envy you open-ended risk anywhere near the Gate. My helmet's off to you.

\m/
BillTurner

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A buddy of mine just said this after I shared the rescue video with him, "One time, a few years back, I met this gal at Safeway, a CG pilot - she LOVED windsurfers. Just loved em - gave them a real life chance to do rescues. She must have thanked me a dozen times."

They certainly do have limited resources but regarding the issue of rescuing us sailors, they love the action. Pretty funny.
tsokat

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BillTurner wrote:
A buddy of mine just said this after I shared the rescue video with him, "One time, a few years back, I met this gal at Safeway, a CG pilot - she LOVED windsurfers. Just loved em - gave them a real life chance to do rescues. She must have thanked me a dozen times."

They certainly do have limited resources but regarding the issue of rescuing us sailors, they love the action. Pretty funny.

That story really typifies the enthusiasm, dedication and can do spirit of our service people. Although I am very much anti Iraq war, I don't think a day goes by that I don't think how lucky we are in our country to have such an able group of patriots as the volunteers we have in our services.
Arrgh

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There was an article in the Chron, a couple of weeks back, on the Coast Guard Auxiliary. They provide there own boats and pick up a lot of windsurfers. Here's the link:
www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2008/03/30/BA1IVSDBA.DTL&hw=coast+guard&sn=003&sc=278
spanker_jeep

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I was in over-my-head that day. I did the 2 mile walk of shame back to candlestick to get my car. Upon returning I shot the video, from along side 101. then loaded my gear.
A maverick gust blew my camera tripod over and almost wrecked my HD camera. It was that windy! As far as the gear, it was fine! I was holding down the 5.5 twin cam as easily as I find it banging your girlfriend while your on the water. The only reason I washed ashore was when my mast separated from my board.
yeah, I was swimming and I prayed to god to save my gear. So "Lizard-Dick" or what ever your name is "get a life".
River-Lizard

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Suba-rude wrote:
Yeah, I was in over-my-head that day. I did the 2 mile walk of shame back to candlestick to get my car. Upon returning I shot the video, from along side 101. then loaded my gear.
A maverick gust blew my camera tripod over and almost wrecked my HD camera. It was that windy! As far as the gear, it was fine! I was holding down the 5.5 twin cam as easily as I find it banging your girlfriend while your on the water. The only reason I washed ashore was when my mast separated from my board.
yeah, I was swimming and I prayed to god to save my gear. So "Lizard-Dick" or what ever your name is "get a life".

LOL Very Happy Man, fragile egooooo... dude, you gonna be ok? I was just teasing you! I was talking about your camera work, not your sailing. Zoom in, zoom out, zoom in, zoom out... hey, here's a tip for you, seriously... if you think you're going to post your footage to the web, try to avoid lots of zooming. Compressed video for the web struggles with a lot pixel changes, so the less zooming the better. As for the rest, man, you sure a sensitive little guy aren't ya? I'm sorry I upset you so much, just a little ribbing...Razz
BillTurner

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2008 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Suba-rude wrote:

Yes, let him now be known as Lizard-Dick...good one.

Sad to see how this thread has brought the few, but ever present, smart-*ss and condescending, know it all bay area sailors to the surface to feed. Fortunately they are in the minority.
River-Lizard

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2008 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BillTurner wrote:

Sad to see how this thread has brought the few, but ever present, smart-*ss and condescending, know it all bay area sailors to the surface to feed. Fortunately they are in the minority.

Dude, Bill, Suba-rude, or whatever sock puppet you've got on going right now... relax... I told you, I was just poking fun at the super zoomy camera work. It was actually an effort to try and lighten the thread up a little.. no need to go to all that effort of creating a new handle and backing up your own post... can't you take a little joke?? For the last time: I WASN'T TALKING ABOUT YOUR SAILING ABILITY. I'm sure you're an awesome sailor... fantastic, one of the best just for getting out there... there ya go, feeling better? Wink
Epenrose

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2008 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What is wrong with you people.

A guy makes a gentle rib and you start all this he's a "dick" attitude, and high school name calling.

If you read the posts there's some good advice and some disagreement, so what.

Seems like the "I take myself very seriously" crap filters into here with the usual dollop of bay area self importance.

The interesting part is that in years of sailing the bay the worst asshole attitudes have happened at the stick, 3rd, Delta,Coyote, Crissy & North Tower. The jackasses over the years have been far worse than anytime surfing at Fort Point or S.CA.

The absolute nicest people I've run into have been on the North Coast, OB, Pacific Baja, Central Coast and yes even LA. Generally the better the sailors the less the attitude and usually good advice. And of course it tends to be on the biggest, craziest days.

At least have the balls to call River-Lizard whatever you want to his face instead of the usual bay area passive aggressive bullshit hiding on a forum.

Now you wonder why so many people think there are so many barney kooks in windsurfing - so lame.
89Spring

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 7:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow everyone is getting worked up. Has anyone actually talked to the guy that got rescued? No one really knows except him/her. I broke a boom under the GG, sailed as deep as possible on port to get back to crissy got stuck in the hole with out being able to jibe and stay in the breeze, started swimming and getting sucked out in the ebb. My buddy who coaches Jrs. at St.FYC picked me up in his coach boat close to Blackaller. Swimming hard and going down the beach in hurry. A kiter helped me back in from way outside Punto San Carlos when my rig broke. he circled me while I derigged tied everything on the board tied a line to back of his harness and he towed me in.It would have been a very very long paddle. I sail for miles and miles out in the Key West backcountry and have thought about having a radio but havent been too concerned, warm shallow water low stress. knock on wood. I agree that you need to know you ability and conditions and go in when you should. Shit happens and it all depends on how you deal with it. Let the rescued sailor give some response before we all spout out. This all said I am looking forward to getting back to CA
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5

Jump to: