myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Maryhill sensor whacky?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
andymc4610

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2008 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah, i know it's been one of the best kept secrets over the years. only downside is you get some wierd people stopping and sometimes staying there. And some angry fisherman when it's blowing 4.0 at 8:00am and they are sitting in the lot, in there boat drinking. don't like sailing there early or late season.....
WMP

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2008 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

isobars wrote:
Today it has registered E, WSW. WNW, and W in a credible pattern.

\m/

Sweet deal today at The Wall. I abandoned the idea of a so-so desperate for wind day... cuz it was 4.7 cloudy & cool at Dougs around 11 AM. Since there were no sign of them thar swellers (could it be the new moon?) nor was there sunshine.. nothin' but psycho chop witb a few crumbs of so-called swell, cloudy & cool.

Took the chance to find better wind and better swell at The Wall around noonish.... got rewarded with 4.2 sesh with sweet golden warm sunshine and some epic sized smoothie swell at certain times in certain spots. The wind was clearly a classic Wall direction.... filled in really nice for the first hour+, then the clouds began to get through the filter and clog up the wind flow and cause up & down wind. However, the wind direction worked very well at The Wall today for the time I was there (12:00 - 3:00).... not quite as good down at Rufus (I did a downwinder). Everywhere else looked rather up & down too.... much worse the further west you went.
gmclean

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 8:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The sensor showed NW wind with a big lull from 11:30am to 12:30pm then it went back to west and rebuilt. Did it seem to get better as you sailed or did the lull in the windgraph not really affect The Wall?

Thanks, this kind of feedback is really helpful (since I can't seem to get out and sail much these days!)

George

5-6-2008.gif
 Description:
Maryhill 5-6-08
 Filesize:  16.01 KB
 Viewed:  10423 Time(s)

5-6-2008.gif

hilton08

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 9:01 am    Post subject: Doug's Tuesday Reply with quote

I saw the big lull (and the NW direction) on the graph for Maryhill and decided to go to Doug's after lunch on Tuesday.
I guess it got better after WMP left since we had overpowered 4.2 gusts and increasing swells in the afternoon. There were some lulls and some high clouds, but also periods of sun, some great swells, and plenty of wind. I counted about 30 cars there.
The direction was NW at Doug's, so it was definitely windier than the graphs would indicate. The Rowena readings were a better indicator, showing gusts over 40 for the day.
WMP

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

gmclean wrote:
The sensor showed NW wind with a big lull from 11:30am to 12:30pm then it went back to west and rebuilt. Did it seem to get better as you sailed or did the lull in the windgraph not really affect The Wall?

George

Hey George,

No lull when I arrived around noon at The Wall... fully powered 4.2 shore-to-shore..... sailed very relaxed and making every jibe fully powered on each side of the river for the first hour +. The only place that I found a little flukey was between The Wall and Rufus, but that's normal. I think the upper wind pattern was confused... maybe that's why the wind sensor was whacked yesterday. Like I say, it was a very good Wall wind direction, however clouds made for some up & down wind conditions later on (around 1:30).
windaveski

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I arrived at the wall yesterday about 3:30 after seeing consistent averages of 27-29 for a couple of hours. When I got there, the last sailors were slogging in on 4.7s. Clouds had just come over and shut down the wind. I called Wendy for updates twice while I was there and still got reports of 27 and 28, but it was unsailable on 4.7!!! I hung until ~4:30. By then it was mostly clear again and the wind was improving a little, but not much. The direction looked good the whole time. I drove to Roosevelt and had a great 4.2 session.

Looking at the graph, it did come back around 5. When I was there, the "lull" is evident, but it still never dropped below 25 which I would expect to be plenty for a 4.7. My best guess is that the wind was lifting off the river so the sensor was reading higher than the real sailing condition.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: