myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Wanna be skunk proof? Go long board
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jingebritsen

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are marked differences between old windsurfing long boards, old tandem surf boards with a mast track put in 'em, SUP's more oriented towards surfers, and modern windsurfers that may cross back toward SUP. It's a complicated offering from the surf/windsurf world right now.

Jeff H. from Maui promotes non-foot strap surfing style stuff. Good for the lucky few that live in side off tradewinds. Boards nearly refuse to plane going out. And they need extra back oriented foot pressures for turning, and slow down when doing so. In side on, this is not a very good set of performances.

In the rest of the world, the step tail or duck tail windsurfing board have the advantage of being able to hop onto a plane and have foot straps for more radical wave riding. Turning does not require the step back as much, and when grinding upwind on the shoulder of a wave the boards respond better to moving weight aft like a short board can for faster planing upwind. Fin back and overly rockered boards top out in speeds for side on and onshore days...

In the very lightest of winds, all long boards are good. In stuff that is puffy, onshore, less than perfect and sometimes strong, watch out about old school thinking in choosing a long board. Had a day yesterday like that 8-22 used the Kona 11-5 and a 6.2 sail. Friend of mine had the RRD Long Rider and a 6.4. We both had a blast.
saillizard

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd like to get into light-moderate wind wavesailing, but cheaply!! Lowcountry, are you riding the Mistral Superlight from the early 80s? If so, is it hard to turn, given its length? Is anyone using a wider style board with little to no tail rocker and/or thick boxy rails, and is it very difficult to turn these boards in the waves?
scooper

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I started paddling big old boards with my kids when they were little, kneeling or standing up. It's fun like a kayak. But I never thought to try it in real waves. I hope to do that this year.

The biggest problem that I see is finding waves when the wind is really light. Unless there is a left over swell, or a storm out to sea, the waves usually dissapear when the wind does. Does anyone know some great spots in Mass or R.I. that tend to have waves when the swell is next to nothing?

OliverTwist

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

'The Wall' in Hampton, NH almost always seems to have some residual swell. At high tide it will crash on shore but at low tide it breaks far enough out to ride. They aren't much good for surfing but I think with the help of a sail they could be fun for short rides. The shoreline is obstructed by buildings so side-on or cross shore would be better.

If conditions are good it will get crowded with up to a hundred surfers.
speedysailor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2008 7:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can sometimes find a little shore break in light winds, but usually there isn't much for waves in New England. I've used a number of older 10'6" >>transitional<< windsurfers and still keep one.
bred2shred wrote:

For light wind wave riding, surfable long boards are way better than shortboards. I haven't gotten a chance to ride my new 10'-6" yet, but after having ridden a friend's converted 10' surfboard numerous times, the difference is very noticable. The long boards require less speed and get on a wave much sooner. More fun, less work.

Using the Bic Samba with the gentle rollers one finds at Nahant and Long Sands (York Beach, Me.) or the limited surf at Chappy I know what you are driving at. It's fun, but you will get bored with it quickly. Futhermore, my older 10'2" doesn't sail well with anything over 7 meters for a sail if it can do that at all. I've seen claims on the internet that the Superlight can take jumbo sails, but I doubt if they aren't awkward if not uncomfortable to sail that way. You have gotten me thinking, though, and I may try my new 6.9 freestyle on the 10"2" out at chappy some day this season.
bred2shred wrote:

For goofing around in non-planing conditions on flat water though you're right, you just need something with enough volume.

sm
The big wide boards do have their limits. Using them, though, is a good way for a sailor to both boost confidence and improve the ability to gybe and tack. Futhermore, I had a 9.6 rig yesterday on my Icon 160 liter and definitely got some exercise which is really why I'm out there.
OliverTwist wrote:

If conditions are good it will get crowded with up to a hundred surfers.
That's another reason not to take it seriously. York Beach has become a surfer's destination as well. Usually no wind means a good beach day for sunbathers and swimmers which restricts watercraft use.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: