myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Chapin Beach
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dunoyer

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 6:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steve: How do you keep your hands warm for 6 hours?
bluesky

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 7:41 am    Post subject: Nice run on Sunday... Reply with quote

Steve and Juan, nice day on Sunday. First time in my drysuit which worked well, but my gloves gave me some issues. My hands were warm enough but they are a little on the thick side, and towards the end, I was unable to grip the boom. Juan, what gloves were you wearing? Anyone have suggestions. I think I need to invest in a new pair.
Dunoyer

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 7:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have thick gloves, but I worry about reaching the quick release on the kite....
scooper

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jean,

Yesterday I wore glacier gloves. My circulation in hands and feet isn't great, so I had to stop and shake my hands sometimes to get the blood flowing and warm them up. I learned this past winter that swinging my arms hard for few minutes really forces the blood into cold hands. Sometimes doing that now and then is all it takes to keep me going.

On really cold days I use Body Glove claw mitts, (probably 3 mil). They keep my hands warm down to the upper twenties but really cut down on my grip and shorten my sailing time due to forearm fatigue. I've also been known to bring a small cooler of warm water to quickly revive a numb foot or hand and get back out on the water. The cooler of warm water on a frigid day is good fodder for sarcastic comments about sanity so watch out who you tell if you try it.

Bluesky & Juan,

It was great sailing with you guys. It's nice to have the company on a cold grey day.

Dunoyer

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just ordered some Glacier gloves - REI has them at under half price as a closeout! The numbness is OK, it's when you regain feeling - the sting is horrendous! I can just hear the swear words coming out when you stick your hands in the warm water cooler - kind of like Steve Carrell getting his chest waxed.... I laughed out loud at the sanity comment. I've always found my comfort zone in the marginally insane endeavors.... As some polar explorer once said: "we're all looking for adventure, just not too much adventure"
speedysailor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2008 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The trick to keeping your fingers warm would be to exercise them often. Holding onto a boom will drain the blood from them and make it difficult to keep them warm. Stop your sailing often and exercise the fingers. I am finding that doing this once or twice at the beginning of the session limbers the circulation up enough to last the session. I'm only using the Dakine Mittens with the thin palms, too. I was a ski professional and spent a good deal of time in my life surviving temperatures down to -30F. If you are wearing a hood, you should also grease your face with Vaseline. It will help, again, with the frost bite.
mwilly

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2008 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did anyone sail Chapin yesterday? I was there early (10:30-11:30AM) but no one else was there and it looked a bit iffy, too easterly and gusty, so I decided to not do it. Wind looked pretty ok after 1PM from the graph.

-Mark
Juani222

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2008 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi guys - Great Sunday at Chapin...
The gloves: Glacier is what Scooper and I were using, I bought them at Island Sports... they are not good for rigging because the material is too fragile, so I use an old pair of Dakine for rigging... Hope this helps...

See you around,

Juan
speedysailor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2008 7:38 am    Post subject: Monday Reply with quote

Monday I sailed at my local spot which can be o.k. albeit gusty in a NNE or NE. The winds were iffy and gusty, but I did put in one good blast in the straps with the 8.4. My Glacier Gloves are no more than history for me. They just are too constricting for grip. The Dakine Mittens are o.k. right now, but I was on the south shore of the Cape which is warmer.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: