myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
New to Orange County
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dinosoles

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2008 11:12 am    Post subject: New to Orange County Reply with quote

I just moved to Southern California - Irvine in Orange County. Where are the closest - better places to sail. I keep hearing of Cabrillo Beach - Lake Isabella etc.

Thanks for any help. Happy sailing.
coolmtnbiker048

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2008 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey welcome to Orange County it's a fun place to sail.

The closest windsurfable spot for you is Huntington Pier which blows enough for windsurfing about 3 days a week in the summer, more in the spring/winter. Wind is onshore, and waves are usually pretty powerful.

As you drive North up the coast, Sunset Beach/Bolsa Chica (Jack in the Box Parking Lot) is super fun with onshore waves it blows probably at least 4-5 days a week in the summer/spring.

Couple miles north is Seal Beach which is usually similar wind to Sunset. If you don't feel comfortable in the waves, that is your best bet. The launch usually has tiny waves, and you have the option of sailing in the San Gabriel river which gets gentle medium sized waves. Grass Rigging Area, Hose to wash your gear, long walk to the water, but worth it.

Another option is Belmont. Choppy Water, consistent wind, hardly any windsurfers, mostly kiters.

And finally Cabrillo. Most consistent wind through the summer. Small shorebreak waves (no problem at all), and you can sail in the harbor, which is where I learned how to get on a plane a couple years ago.

Isabella near bakersfield is a great place in spring, especially June, and summer as well.

Other spots north of OC: Leo Carillo, Jalama Beach, Pismo Beach, Lake Lopez, and lots more.

Most 180 lb. guys use 7.0s and bigger boards, I'm 150 lbs. and use a 5.8 everyday in the summer.

The season is coming soon........ Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
geohaye

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2008 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keep an eye on the wind speeds on this map -- Cabrillo through San Clemente are definitely 'local' to you in Irvine. Nice place to live & windsurf, indeed.

http://www.iwindsurf.com/windandwhere.iws?regionID=209&regionProductID=1&Isection=Gmap+Obs&timeoffset=0
*Matt*

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2008 11:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey,

We just moved to Irvine this year as well. Hopefully we will meet up sometime. We will be checking out Cabrillo Sunday, if weather permits. I plan on making 3-4 trips to Isabella this year. I hear it is one of the top spots for wind in the US.

Matt
speedysailor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2008 6:18 am    Post subject: Re: New to Orange County Reply with quote

Dinosoles wrote:
I just moved to Southern California - Irvine in Orange County. Where are the closest - better places to sail. I keep hearing of Cabrillo Beach - Lake Isabella etc.

You'll learn that there aren't any good places to sail there. After a short time you will also learn to hate California and the people who live there.
rationalnational

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2008 7:53 am    Post subject: Re: New to Orange County Reply with quote

speedysailor wrote:
Dinosoles wrote:

You'll learn that there aren't any good places to sail there. After a short time you will also learn to hate California and the people who live there.

not this wanker again......
pueno

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2008 8:39 am    Post subject: Re: New to Orange County Reply with quote

seedysailor wrote:
...you will also learn to hate California and the people who live there.

Brucie, listen to Nurse Ratchet. She says, "Medication time, gentlemen."
jp5

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2008 9:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Make sure to get yourself a hot, bitchy wife!
coolmtnbiker048

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2008 7:51 pm    Post subject: Re: New to Orange County Reply with quote

speedysailor wrote:

Usually, it is the overweight, old-geezer sailors complaining about the conditions in Southern California. It's actually a great place to sail, with pretty consistent conditions. If you are not a wind snob, you can sail about 5 days a week in the spring.
brettbuchanan

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2008 9:15 pm    Post subject: Speedysailor must lead a pathetic life... Reply with quote

Dear Speedysailor,

I was born and raised in Orange County and I am truly sorry that you hate me. I should also express my sympathy for your hateful feelings, which in most clinical opinions would indicate you harbor some form of self-loathing or self-hatred that in turn is expressed outwardly in your views toward people in general. To make a statement that anyone would come to "hate" any fellow man simply because of where they might live, or what they might believe, I think is one of the shallowest, most pitiful things one human being can communicate to another, let alone in a public forum such as an iWindsurf chat thread. Again, I express my sympathy for your pathetic views that must be a result of some misguided sense of superiority over other people. And lastly, I know so many great people in southern California, and northern California, and the US, Europe, South America, Mexico, and I would imagine if I knew people in Africa, China, or anywhere for that matter that I would most definitely not come to hate any of them.

I think you owe the iWindsurf community an apology for your hateful comments on this forum. Otherwise, keep your hate-speech to yourself.

Sincerely,

Brett Buchanan
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: