myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Treasure Island Access

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mluckner

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2008 11:05 pm    Post subject: Treasure Island Access Reply with quote

Does anybody have any news on the Treasure Island situation? Will we have windsurfing access this year?
madspaniard

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2008 11:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://forums.iwindsurf.com/viewtopic.php?t=13909

In my opinion, you can forget about launching from the boat ramp area during 2008.

My buddies and I are still gonna use the alternative launch site on ebb days, the more the merier, the place is spooky when nobody is around
jerrybertrand

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 3:41 pm    Post subject: TI Access in March/April 2008 Reply with quote

My understanding is that there is NOW access to the west of the boat ramp via the rocky banks that extend around the northwest side of the island. Last year this entire area was blocked or very restricted. Can anyone confirm?
mac

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I sailed up here from Berkeley on March 14 on formula gear. Two of us stopped and walked around. Soil work appears to be complete around the houses closest to the ramp, although windows are still boarded up. There is a pile of gravel blocking one entrance and a fence blocking the other. There were no other signs of construction, although it was after working hours on a Friday. Last week, staff from the Regional Water Quality Control Board that work with the military on base closures asked for a status report, and asked if some accommodations could be made for windsurfing. The answer was that they would be done in late June, and they would make no accommodations for windsurfing. It wouldn't hurt to send letters to Nancy Pelosi's staff asking them to see if the Navy could be a little more cooperative. Sorry we don't have better news.
rigatoni

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am assuming that they are talking about windsurfing access while they finish construction. If so, stay out of the way and let them get the damn thing done in June so we have access during the latter half of the season when that place really goes off. I would hate to give them excuses for prolonging the construction say through September and then we are screwed until 2009.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: