myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Gorge camping locations bet. July and August
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mountainbear

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2008 1:41 pm    Post subject: Gorge camping locations bet. July and August Reply with quote

I have never been to the Gorge and was planning a trip with some friends bet. July and August. Does anyone have suggestions on locations to take a travel trailer to. I would like to go to a place with full hookups near a good sailing location. Any suggestions are welcome. Thanks. Cool
pshaw

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2008 2:41 pm    Post subject: Gorge camping sites Reply with quote

Windance has thoughtfully compiled a comprehensive list. See:

http://www.windance.com/west_coast_guide/gorge/camping/gorgecampwest.htm

Note at the top of this webpage it is listing western Gorge sites. Click on the central and eastern Gorge links for the other sites. Additionally, there are some places you can camp unofficially, for example at some day use only spots: Roosevelt, Ciello (from both of which you can sail where you are camped), but these have no hook-ups.

None of the full hook-up spots except Peach Beach and Maryhill State park allow you to windsurf right from your campsite. I particularly like Roosevelt because it is pretty, has a nice beach and shade for non-windsurfers, and I can sail from where I am camped - but there are no hook-ups. It does have cold showers and wash sinks, as does Ciello.

Keep in mind that most of the campsites near the river are exposed to noise from both trains and the highway.

If you are taking non-windsurfing family, in my opinion, the two gold standard campgrounds are Memaloose (Oregon - http://www.oregonstateparks.org/park_163.php) and Maryhill (Washington - http://www.parks.wa.gov/parkpage.asp?selectedpark=Maryhill). I strongly advise advance reservations at both of these. Both offer shade, pretty surroundings, lots of kid's play areas, hot showers, etc. Downsides: Access to Memaloose from Hood River requires driving past it and then returning westbound on the freeway. Maryhill is in the eastern Gorge and the current is swift - no place for beginning water starters.

In my opinion, the two best places near Hood River are Viento State Park, where you can windsurf at some distance from your campsite and is very noisy, and Tucker Park - a county park on the Hood River about 5-8 miles up in the valley out of town. Tucker is pretty, has no truck or train noise, and has the "white noise" of the rushing Hood River to drown out late arriving campers.

Good luck.
swchandler

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2008 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a small trailer park that I believe fits your requirements, and it's located on the Washington side just immediately east of the Hood River Bridge. I don't know the name of it but if you Google trailer parks in Bingen, WA will probably work to locate it. The Hatchery and Swell City are located 2-4 miles to the west. Also, across the river in Hood River is the Event Site.

I should point out a couple downsides though, just so that you're somewhat aware. First, the train tracks are quite close and there is quite a bit of traffic at all times day and night, but the situation is common along much of the Gorge on both sides of the river. Second, the Hood River Bridge driving surface is made from steel grate, and the vehicle traffic does introduce a noticeable resonance over some distance.
kevinkan

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2008 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you want to get away from the trains, try Tucker Park up on Mt. Hood. It's about 5 miles out of town, and it is right on the Hood River, so you hear the calming water instead of trains. Full hook ups or car camping are offered.
swchandler

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2008 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's the place I noted:

BRIDGE RV PARK
White Salmon, WA
(509)493-1111
Just across the toll bridge from Hood River, turn right, then turn directly into the first gas station on your right, the campground entrance is right there.
1 mile from Hood River
laci

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2008 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is also an RV park right in Hood River, across from Safeway. I believe it's part of the Sunset Motel. That's about as centrally located as you can get.
WindSapien

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 8:51 am    Post subject: Gorge Camping Reply with quote

A couple of years ago we stayed one night at Bridge RV. We hated it. They did not give us the site we reserved and the place was basically a parking lot.We canceled the rest of the week and moved to Peach Beach out east by Maryhill and loved it . We got a site w/full hook-ups right in front of the grassy launch area. You can stay rigged and stash your rigs near the launch behind the camphosts (Gary) site. Our friends that stayed in Hood River were appalled that we would stay "way out there", but we sailed 8 out of ten days there while they only sailed three. Just lucky I guess. The Wall,Maryhill,Mosier all were fun w/ no crowds. It's a little ways out from the town of Hood River but close enough to go get Pizza and groceries . It's all good . We had a great time there. WS
pshaw

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 10:22 am    Post subject: A couple of additional RV places in Mosier Reply with quote

Columbia River Gorge Camping
2350 Carroll Rd, Mosier, OR 97040, phone: 541-478-3750

Twin Tunnels Campground
1504 Rock Creek Rd, Mosier, OR 97040, phone: 541-478-2267

I assume you are leaving the trailer at the campsite and driving to the windsurfing site. Keep in mind that it is very difficult to park a trailer at a windsurfing site, other than maybe Rufus.
madspaniard

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kevinkan wrote:
If you want to get away from the trains, try Tucker Park up on Mt. Hood. It's about 5 miles out of town, and it is right on the Hood River, so you hear the calming water instead of trains. Full hook ups or car camping are offered.

Kevin, I think you forgot the kamikaze pilot flying his small plane so low over our tents at 6:00am that I thought we were under attack. What a way to wake up for two nights in a row!
polarbear

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Toll Bridge County Park on Hwy 35 might be a little bit far (15 minutes from downtown HR), but so quiet compare to other campgrounds. Last time I was there, there was a large group who booked almost all sites for the week-end but on Sunday night it got so quiet I thought I was the only one around! It was like that for the rest of the week.

They have full hook-ups sites close to one of the main bathrooms/showers building.

I'll be going there again next summer for sure...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: