myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Windsurf spots near Baltimore MD?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
enrico007

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2008 4:23 am    Post subject: Windsurf spots near Baltimore MD? Reply with quote

Hej,
We are from Belgium (Europe) and have to go to the Baltimore area for business reasons about 3 times per year ( feb, june,nov). What would be the advisable windsurf spots to aim for?
I could also go to Mexico or Florida once and a while, but off course for budget reasons the closest the better.
Need to find a professional windsurf resort, with new materials ( I surf most on my JP FW + Superfreaks)
Level: in a scale 1 - 10 (from zero to hero) I woudl rate I am on a 6. So, flatwater would be the safest to shoot for, with waves max. 1.5 meter.
iwillfindyou2112

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2008 6:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Point Lookout 2 hrs south and the Gunpowder River.
dlathouras

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2008 9:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We don't really have windsurf resorts like you're used to in Europe or Caribbean, but you can get in touch with ultimatewatersports.com just outside of Baltimore for rental gear on the beach in June (they are open only in the summer).

Next best idea is to head to Avon, North Carolina (also known as "Hatteras"). Approx 400 miles south. Again, no gear for rent right on the water, but it is the East Coast center for windsurfing. Quite a few shops that rent gear that you can drive to your own launch. Not sure who carries JP down there. Hatteras has miles and miles of flat water on the sound side, and waves on the ocean.

You can find a lot of links on our club website:

www.windsurfbaba.org

Go to the sponsor page and you'll find links to several shops in Avon/Hatteras. Go to "windsurfing launches" in the red side bar on the home page and you'll find descriptions of local spots (but again, only Gunpowder has rentals on the beach).

Another good site that has info on Virginia coastal launches and all Hatteras launches is www.windvisions.com (our friends at Windsurfing Enthusiasts of Tidewater - Virginia).

Do you know Christopher Waerzeggers? He's also Belgian (can't remember his sail # - maybe BEL9?) transplanted here last year with World Bank or IMF and raced formula with the BABA crew.
geohaye

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2008 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kudos to the BABA gang. You guys do a brilliant job. The SFBA (San Francisco) had one of our best Board meetings in a while last night. A few dozen windsurfers and several kiters showed up to help fight for our water access... A never-ending battle in the cool gray city. (SFBA.org)

HATTERAS. I rented windsurf gear from Barton Decker at his waterfront shop HISS in November. He is located in Waves, North Carolina:

http://hiss-waves.com/index.cfm?page=home

George
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: