myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
best deal to learn kite-surfing. where should i go?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
xuesheng

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 8:18 pm    Post subject: best deal to learn kite-surfing. where should i go? Reply with quote

Hello. I'd like to learn kite-surfing.
Price of the lessons is important.
Want to go somewhere for a week or two.
Should i stay here in California, USA, or go to La Ventana, Mexico?
Or the lessons are expensive over there too?

Or i should fly to Guatemala or.... and learn there?

plan to do in from March 20...
is it a good wind by this time?

thanks
peter
nealpar

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't do what I did:

Last year, I took a private lesson from a supposed competent instructor who was just some dude unconnected with any reputable kitesurf shop or school. He was recommended by someone well known in the Malibu kitesurfing circles who sort of makes a living from selling kites and lessons. I shelled out $120 for a one hour lesson, during which I hardly learned anything useful, especially since the "teaching kite" was some old Peter Lynn kite, and at the end of the lesson, the guy even ran into me by accident and almost broke my nose. He took my money without much of an apology for being a friggin' OAF!

I learned more from friendly kiters at the beach with a genuine desire to help! (ONE MORE TIME: GENUINE DESIRE TO HELP....NOT DRIVEN BY GREED AND A MISTAKEN SENSE OF IMPORTANCE OR TALENT)

Thus, I'd recommend only shop-connected teachers, who are accountable and usually have manners!
markpaine

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 11:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Peter,

First off, and I mean this in the most friendly way, you'll probably get better responses on the ikitesurf.com forum.

I don't know where you are, but if you're in the San Francisco Bay Area then I'd suggest Jeff Kafka's "Wind Over Water". He teaches near Coyote Point in a very professional way, taking students out with a jet ski so that they're out of harm's way. I don't know Jeff, but what I've seen of his operation has impressed me, and people who've taken lessons with him have recommended him. You can find his web site at http://www.wowkite.com/

Kitewindsurf in Alameda also offers jet ski-based lessons. Whit Poor was teaching for them last summer. Whit has made his name in windsurfing, but he's also a good kiteboarder and he used to teach with Andy Brandt for ABK BoardSports. He knows how to teach. If he's still teaching for Kitewindsurf I'd recommend him also. You can find the Kitewindsurf web site at http://kitewindsurf.com/store/lessons.aspx

Good luck, and check over at ikitesurf.com

-Mark
mogunn

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 11:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

markpaine wrote:
you'll probably get better responses on the ikitesurf.com forum.
...I'd suggest Jeff Kafka's "Wind Over Water". He teaches near Coyote Point in a very professional way, taking students out with a jet ski so that they're out of harm's way. I don't know Jeff, but what I've seen of his operation has impressed me, and people who've taken lessons with him have recommended him. You can find his web site at http://www.wowkite.com/
Kitewindsurf in Alameda also offers jet ski-based lessons.
Good luck, and check over at ikitesurf.com

Absolutely ditto to what Mark said.
Jeff Kafka's WOW lessons near Coyote Point and Jeff Ruoss's KiteWindSurf in Alameda are the best lessons in the Bay.
I know both Jeffs and agree you won't go wrong with either.

Have fun and most importantly be safe!

jp5

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are better off learning to windsurf Cool
Epenrose

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I heard the moon is a terrific place to learn. Make sure to take some of your new kitesurfing friends with you.

Also don't forget to buy some shorts with pretty colors, I promise they won't make anyone look like a total tool...........
jp5

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Although humorous, Mr. Epenrose seems to forget what he posts under other topics;

"Can we just stick to subjects that are relevant to our sport versus completely off topic.

The water accepts everyone."

There is no lacking in hypocracy in either party. Rolling Eyes
geohaye

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

xuesheng, be sure to post your question on the iKitesurf.com Forums:

http://forums.ikitesurf.com/
MalibuGuru

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This weekend I'd suggest you to go to Jalama friday or saturday. Make sure to take your 20 meter kite and launch it at about 4 pm hot and in the straps.
jordanwd

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

south padre island; if you want to travel, is real nice... warm, windy conditions in the shallow LAgun MAdre. Air temps in the 80's, water temps in the seventies (ie No Wetsuits required).Beautiful tropical south of the border atmosphere. Huge kitesurfing community-lessons available. Just check before hand as Spring Break may be happenning that week.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: