myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Jalama week
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
hunwil1984

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't go to Jalama. Go to Leo its always closer and it will be more fun than breaking a mast and drowning in the closed out surf or getting sucked up the cliffs in an up draft.

Despite the solid looking graph today I saw a kiter get drug down the beach and almost up the cliff when a big lull then huge 40-50 knot gust hit him. Thankfully, he will be ok but I bet that I will see him at Leo this weekend or maybe up at county.

See you guys there! Very Happy
Kevinmc

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2008 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jalama will never be crowded. Mostly just because of the drive. One of the largest of the windy beaches in southern california and you're worried about crowds???? Besides, why are you cruising the windsurf forum? Isn't there a kite forum for ya? Wink

And yes, it will be WINDY!!!! this weekend. And in the Channel, too! Hopefully it won't be crowded wherever I go! Embarassed
earle

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2008 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

god i hate jalama broke one of my ribs in an another updraft this is the 4th time! so lame im out of the water for a solid month!
hunwil1984

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2008 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Leo was sick today, huh?

I heard that a BIG white shark got some unsuspecting newcomer at Jalama. Is that really true? Was he trying to swim in after he lost his gear?

I hope it blows at leo again tomorrow, but wasn't that water cold BRRR!
swchandler

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2008 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The irony in the last post is no doubt steely. You must share more.
jedgtucker

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2008 1:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its no joke, Mike Parsons & Brad Gerlach (professional tow-in surfers) were chased out of the water by a 20' White shark 3 weeks ago the next beach south of Jalama. Read this:

http://www.independent.com/news/2008/mar/01/fear-beneath/

(make sure you read the comments)
hunwil1984

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2008 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

More bad news about Jalama, I went up to surf this morning and the road was closed before you can get over the traintracks because of a 'contamination' from VAFB. The MP couldn't give me any details about what spilled or leaked but he said that it could be a few weeks or a month before it was cleaned up and safe to get in the water up there. It's a real shame to see pollution at Jalama... Sad
nealpar

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2008 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Someone from the LA area (or other non-local) must've really pissed you guys off over there at Jalama in recent weeks to write so much negative stuff about it in an obvious attempt to discourage visitors... Laughing Laughing Laughing
Kevinmc

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2008 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, most people are pretty cool at Jalama and welcome visitors. As far as I'm concerned, come on up! It's cool to see new faces and new stoke. Too bad one person decided to take the localism attitude and make us all look bad.

By the way, there's no such thing as a Jalama local. I wish even the "locals" would remember that.
earle

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2008 11:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since when was Jalama Road closed? I drove all the way up there and had to turn around! i wish i would have known! I guess there is going to be road construction all week through out the weekend... Darn. Guess im going to pismo tomorrow. I heard that its sting ray season and there was 300 sting rays at jalama by the river mouth, nice to know for next week when the road opens back up.

Did anyone hear from danny? i guess it switched on him the other day and was gusting to over 40, i guess he ended up out by the shipping lane... poor guy, i know he wont be going back to jalama any time soon and neither am i!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5

Jump to: