myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Jersey Shore: Weather is getting better! Anyone Sailing??
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
www.NjWind.info

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 7:01 pm    Post subject: Jersey Shore: Weather is getting better! Anyone Sailing?? Reply with quote

The winds are strong and the water is slowly warming up. Where is everyone??

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.njwindsurfing.info - "Everything about Windsurfing in NJ"
shredmaster518

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 7:37 am    Post subject: I was out Saturday Reply with quote

and yesterday ... where are you sailing maybe we can hook up?

Where is your home site?

In appreciation,

Pete Ashman
The Positive One *Cool
610.329.3128c

http://RealWind.com
http://AshmanTravel.com

maui shot.jpg
 Description:
my in Maui
 Filesize:  26.13 KB
 Viewed:  19361 Time(s)

maui shot.jpg

www.NjWind.info

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nice! -
Lakes Bay and Holgate LBI (South tip of island) for the ocean. Haven't been out this year yet but considering the sudden climate changes its looking good.
any suggestions?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.njwindsurfing.info - "Everything about Windsurfing in NJ"
lrasiej

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 11:49 pm    Post subject: Island Beach State Park, NJ / Lavallette Area Reply with quote

Anyone know of a spot where fellow windsurfers gather on the Island Beach for winter / early spring sailing. Just got my drysuit so eager to get out there but dont really want to sail alone in cold water.

Anyone sail there ?

Luke Smile
bred2shred

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I assume you are refering to Island Beach State Park, south of Seaside. I'm not terribly familiar with the area, but the well-known oceanside spot was the Top of the Mast restaurant. Basically as far south as you can go before actually entering the park. There is also a small bay side launch basically across the island from that as well. I don't know how crowded either of these launches are anymore though.

Other more popular launches that would be not too far from seaside are Trixies in Berkley Island Park (in Berkley). This is a bay-side launch a little ways south. Also, 68th Street on Long Beach Island is a fairly popular bay-side launch.

Lakes Bay would also likely get a few sailors on a good day, but it's a bit farther south than the other two spots.

Your best bet though is to get in contact with someone before hand and then agree to meet somewhere because any of these places can easily be vacant even on a good winter/early spring day. Other than that, sail conservatively and make sure your gear is in good shape.

sm
rswabsin

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Luke,

There are a fair number of sailers and kiters that sail on the bay in Seaside and Lavallette during the winter (usually if its above freezing). I'll sail Seaside on southerlies and Lavallette on west, northwest and northeasterly winds. Sailed both spots over the past two weekends. Both spots have a fair amount of shallow areas where you can stand to rest and warm up while out on the water. If the wind is up, you should take a ride over this coming weekend to either spot and you'll likely see at least one or two people out. They're calling for decent northwesterlies this Sunday so I'll likely sail at Lavalette. Sandy Hook is another really good spot but about 45 minutes north. There's also some real nice ocean sailing at all of these spots just up the street from the bay.

Hope to see you out there!
Rob
lrasiej

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2008 9:55 am    Post subject: NJ windsurfing - Wetsuit/Drysuit Reply with quote

What kind of suit are you guys using for sailing on the bay currently. I brought the Bare drysuit with the neoprene legs and loose top. Im planning to wear a synthetic ski thermal under the top portion of the suit and maybe a thin fleece over the thermal. I also have tall 6mm booties.

What recommendations do you guys have for staying warm and how long are your sessions currently?

Thx.

Luke
rswabsin

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2008 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Two of the guys I sail with wear the Bare dry suits similar or identical to yours. Not sure, but I think that they wear thermals and the fleece top underneath as you suggested. Personally, I wear a 5/3 surfing wetsuit with glued and taped seams made by Xcel and a rash guard underneath and I'm plenty warm. We use the DaKine cold weather mitts for hands and various boots for the feet. Usually in the first 20 minutes your hands will get cold so I'll often stop in the shallows off one of the islands to swing my arms around and get warm blood back into the fingers. This just takes a few minutes and then my hands will typically stay warm for another hour or two. Usually we'll sail for about one to two hours but if its really good and the temps are in the 40's or warmer, maybe even three. The biggest problem sailing in the cold is your hands - they typically get the coldest first or your hands and arms will tire quickly from wearing gloves that are too stiff and restricting for finger movement. But it's definetly worth going out, especially on the bay where it's reasonably safe. Keep an eye on the weather for Sunday!
www.NjWind.info

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What wind direction does the bayside at seaside work best when launching from that parking lot? thanx
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Windsurfing in NJ
ride-no-work

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2008 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

www.NjWind.info wrote:
What wind direction does the bayside at seaside work best when launching from that parking lot? thanx
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Windsurfing in NJ

South and Southwest works best, Northwest is o.k. early. You can save yourself some driving over the bridge and just sail Trixies. It's not shallow and during the week it is desolate.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: