myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Unfair County Rules may kill windsurfing schools on Maui.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
geohaye

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now they moved the file with the Proposed Rules due to extraordinary numbers of folks downloading it.

Send me a "Message Center" message using the Forums here if you'd like me to email you a copy. I have the PDF file saved on my computer.
geohaye

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And now the emails to the Mayor and County appear to have started bouncing. Mailboxes full? Good thing we also sent these testimony emails to Suzie and Alan. Suzie just told me she's printing all of them.

I've added 3 more email addresses to the long list in the Alert message, above.
actionsportsmaui

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 2:57 pm    Post subject: Maui News Letter to the Editor 2/26/08 Reply with quote

Tavares legacy: The mayor who made people homeless!

What’s that? Again? Another set of administrative rules designed to drive Maui’s beach operators out of business?
More crippling regulation of our decades-old, locally owned and operated beach scuba diving schools is soon to be made passe by Maui County’s Department of Parks and Recreation?
It will further devastate even more of Maui’s small, local businesses and their families. Hundreds will be hurt, producing another rich crop of newly homeless folks.
The justification for this type of ugliness is always the same: “We’re doing this for the ‘local people.’ “ OK, except that the people being crippled are the local people, the people who give Maui its rich, sweet flavor and whose small business profits go right back into the local economy.

Good job! Charmaine’s raiders are attacking Maui’s small businesses again!

Don Diego

Kihei
kurtmagness

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't try to make any sense about what is going on on Maui. It's pure racism and localism. The mayor got elected by people that want to kick the mainland haole out. They blame all of Maui's problems on outsiders. Of course it's not true and they are shooting themselves in the foot. Locals sold their land to haoles, spent the money and now complain. The TVR industry created millions of dollars for the Maui economy and they shut it down in a recession. Go figure. Many "locals" from shop owners to maids and gardeners are out of work because the mayor is a idiot serving a small group of special interest. It goes way beyond windsurfers or kiters. Even the past mayors and elected officals think what Tavaras is doing is nuts. They don't have a clue while their kids are getting hooked on drugs and going no where. Poor families are homeless and living in the beach parks. The haole is the root of all problems in their minds. They want to live back in the 50's with their heads in the sand or I should say up their ass.
jeff_bennett64

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just got a copy of the PDF with the proposed rules and uploaded to my website. Check it out here:

http://www.mauiwindsurfing.net/pdf/MauiCountyRuleMC10-102.pdf

It's only 13MB. Can't believe that would be big enough to bring the county's servers down. My videos are usually bigger than that and have 1000s of people a day viewing them. I think they just didn't want people to see it.

Oh well. Cool
victor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hawaii for the kama'aina !
MalibuGuru

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Victor, what a moronic statement. There are only a couple hundred full blooded hawaiians on the planet. The rest are a mix of all nationalities. The good old days of war, famine, no antibiotics, and hundreds of small tribal governments are over. If you are a native hawaiian of full blood you might have something to say, but with education and hard work even you could buy your piece of the island back.
victor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

who said native hawaiian?
geohaye

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Update from Jeff Henderson of Hot Sails Maui:

New rules are:
4 windsurf students per instructor - 2 INSTRUCTORS MAX
5 surfers per instructor - 2 INSTRUCTORS MAX
2 kite students - 2 INSTRUCTORS MAX

Out of the parks by 2:00 on sat, no fed or county holidays
all sales figures have to be submitted to county;

and the best one is...............................you can not ever sell your business or transfer your permit, they even have a rule that if you die your permit expires upon death. (Pretty tacky). You can not even leave your business to your kids in your will.
tsokat

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does anyone even know the purported factual basis for this new rule? Were there any complaints on record from anyone on Maui who felt they were inhibited from freely operating a watersports instruction business under the old system? On its face the new rule seems completely arbitrary and capricious.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6

Jump to: