myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Windsurf Boards 2008

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
airwave

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 6:48 pm    Post subject: Windsurf Boards 2008 Reply with quote

While reviewing a previous post, "no loyalty", I read comments about concerns of demo days, lack of shops in some locations, and generally the state of "the biz".

That post got me to thinking about another "biz" subject. So, I did a search of board companies and created a list of many of the 2008 boards companies by brand, model, construction, and volume.

Upon adding up ten of the companies board line up, for 2008 only, I found that there are 444 different boards. There are also quite a few other companies beyond those ten so by rough estimate I would guess there is in excess of 500 different boards to choose from. The list only accounts for production boards, nothing custom. A quick review also indicated that most all of these boards have subtle to extreme design changes from year to year. Of course any one of us may discard many of them as beginner or slalom or whatever is not our niche but even so within any one disipline there are hugh #'s to concider and those choices have change every year.

I'm not sure what impact this might have on board cost, product development, customer retention, demo days, board shop support, and other biz issues but it got me curious. Any thoughts out there???
SWE106

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

can you post that list? would be easier to comment on if "we" know which brands you talk about!

thanks and aloha
arnie
geohaye

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, that would be cool to see.

Here's a huge list of intriguing board makers & sail makers that many in the US have never heard of -- or at least they're not in the first bunch of major brands that most people think of:

http://forums.iwindsurf.com/viewtopic.php?t=14102
airwave

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2008 12:46 pm    Post subject: Many Boards Reply with quote

I included the following in my count:

Naish, JP, RRD, Exocet/Kona, Starboard, Mistral, Fanatic, HiFly, F2, Quatro.

My seach did not include Bic, Realwinds, Roberts, Angulo, Tabou, Pacific, Tiga, AHD, and others that are production boards.

The line up for Mistral was for 2007 as I could not find their 2008 review.

Within each brand I counted the model (style), the volume, and the lay-up (constrution) as they are these things that represent a different manufacting reguirement.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: