myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Punta San Carlos Report
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BajaVaya

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 1:59 pm    Post subject: Punta San Carlos Report Reply with quote

Posting from Solosports @ P.San Carlos.

The dirt road is in good condition. It appears that driving over the stones has pushed them deep and it has a sort of cobbled surface. The ditches are passable.

Wind was 20 - 25 mph yesterday. Looks like about 25+ today (Wed.) Waves beautiful -- long, long sets 5' perfectly formed. Minimal chop.

Post a query if you have a question.
kevinkan

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pics???? i wanna see some pics... to give me that warm fuzzy feeling

i wanna go again.
gerritt

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 1:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How about starting a Baja Blog? Maui's got a few. Pics and video!
higgybaby

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

But Gerrit, you're forgetting about "Baja Syndrome" where its both physically and mentally impossible to do anything other than windsurf, surf, eat, sleep, and lounge. I just don't see how one could pull off blogging while in such a de-habilitating state. Let's try and keep our dreams realistic.
BajaVaya

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry Higgybaby, I only get one hour on the SoloSports link. I will try to take some pics, but the windsurfing is too good to run around with a camera.

Last 2 days great, but only 18 - 23 mph and 15 - 20 mph. Most people were using 110L boards and slogging. Once on a wave, no problem.

George says correction -- waves were 5' in am, but dropped to 3' in pm. Yesterday was reasonable 6 - 8' waves with Bombora huge, wind was too light to try Bombora. All 5 windsurfers in residence were out slashing the surf.

Mornings overcast. Clear sunny afternoons about 60 - 65 deg. Water somewhat chilly, but 4 mm wetsuit works fine.

Gerritt, blog sounds like a good idea. Thanx.
gerritt

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad to hear you're getting it good. Last I was there was summer '06 during a heat wave w/ so little wind, folks were surfing in board shorts! We still got out and schlogged in almost any breeze becuase the waves were sweet. Your 15-20 sounds just fine.

I have always wished Kevin would send out reports on his site of what the conditions were like. Seems like he is afraid to do anything that would be construed as a "weather prediction." I think we all understand we could get skunked and its not Kevin or Solo's fault. Personally, I just like to hear when its on.

Now - send photos. Here's one from somewhere along the Santa Cruz coast on 2/13.

P2130079.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  351.63 KB
 Viewed:  13422 Time(s)

P2130079.jpg

BajaVaya

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2008 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PSC Update 9:48 am Sunday 24 Feb

Gerritt, not surprised you were skunked.
Heat Wave = Santa Ana = 0 wind, but lots of flies. Stay home, unless you are a board surfer then it can be epic.

Friday: Rain. Actually misty drizzle. Miserable. No wind.

Saturday: Sunny, beautiful -- not a wisp of cloud. Wind 12-15 mph. Waves 3'.
Little light (unless you have So. Cal. gear). One sailor slogged on what appeared to be a 6.0m and caught a few waves (with the usual side-off winds, you really pick up speed on a wave and can plane). I was to lazy even to rig "Big Bertha." (Big Bertha is an est. 125L 1995 J. Blair Hawaii Freestyle I picked up for $65 at a SD swap meet -- more patches than original surface. Don't laugh! In 18- mph winds it rockets past everybody slogging on their latest & greatest. With its "old style" narrow rear it slashes waves just fine.)

Today (Sunday 9:30 am): Clear, sunny 70 deg. Waves small (2') but smooth. Minimal chop. But Bombora working (est. 4-5'). Wind starting to pick up (est. 20 mph).

Here are some pics I took earlier this morning (sorry, battery now dead, have to recharge)

P2240004.jpg
 Description:
Camping Bluff. Small Waves
 Filesize:  424.88 KB
 Viewed:  13328 Time(s)

P2240004.jpg

P2240002.jpg
 Description:
Big Bertha
 Filesize:  387.15 KB
 Viewed:  13328 Time(s)

P2240002.jpg

gerritt

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2008 11:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice! I've never seen so much greenery down there. Also, it looks pretty empty. By next month that should change.

As for my Santa Ana daze, they taught me to go out in just about any puff of wind so long as there is a decent swell running. I have never sailed so many days as I have this last winter along my local stretch of coastline. You are right that once on a wave, board speed and apparent wind work together quite nicely for serious fun.

Keep them coming!
BajaVaya

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Update Mon 10 am

Sunday: Excellent wind 18-22 mph. Waves small (2' - 3') very rideable smooth swells. Used a 6m, but often overpowered (5.5m would have been better). Sailed 2 sessions 1.5 and 2 hrs. Enjoyable.

Today: Huge waves! Rough seas. Est. 6' - 8' inside. 8' - 10' outside and point. Bombora 10' - 12' Wind 15 - 20, inconsistent.

Back to Gringoland tomorrow am.

P2250008.jpg
 Description:
Bombora
 Filesize:  421.29 KB
 Viewed:  13143 Time(s)

P2250008.jpg

P2250006.jpg
 Description:
Looking from SoloSports to Point
 Filesize:  430.22 KB
 Viewed:  13143 Time(s)

P2250006.jpg

BajaVaya

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Epilogue

Monday 25 Feb: My est. of wave size was way pessimistic. By 11:30 am the rough swells abated and George went out with a 110L RRD. After one tack he returned for his Quattro (90L?) and a smaller sail (4.2?), then 3 other sailors joined him. The smaller waves were logo high and there were frequent sets mast high. Wind picked up to 25 mph with gusts to 32 mph by 2 pm. Everybody moved over to the Chili Bowl, easier exit. Late in the afternoon Kevin T. (who flew in with Mike Botello) went out on what seemed a tiny kite.

Had to pack my stuff into my box because I was leaving next morning, so couldn't join the fun. Bummer.

Didn't have a telephoto lens so not worth taking pics with sailors.

Tuesday 26 Feb: Wind picked up by 10 am (last reading) 18 - 20 mph. Probably was 25 mph in pm.

Great vacation. 4.5 sailable days out of 6, during "off season." Max. 5 sailors at any one time. Who needs Maui?

gerritt wrote:
Nice! I've never seen so much greenery down there. Also, it looks pretty empty. By next month that should change.

It certainly is green. The desert is a blush of wild flowers. From my aerial shot, there were 6 campers (most seemed to be on their way back from Ventana/Barriles). With all the paranoia about MEXXXXICO, I am not sure it will become too crowded in the summer (there was only one trailer when I arrived). Suits me![/b]
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: