myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Bay Area Sail Repair
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
madspaniard

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2007 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got mine repaired at Berkeley Boardsports, talk to Ben.
jo_and_mark

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2007 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Someone boxknifed my 6.7 on the roof of my car last year and I got it fixed at Doyle's Sailmakers (I think) in Alameda for ~$100. Reasonable result considering it was rolled up and they'd gone through in about 4 places. Not as easy as replacing a panel. http://www.doylesails.com/
jwwaters3

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2007 4:54 pm    Post subject: Bay Area Sail Repair Reply with quote

Got a 4.7 and a 5.3, with similar damage (harness went through bottom panel), repaired by Ben at Berkeley Boardsports. Did an excellent job, he replaced the panel on the 5.3 and was able to patch the 4.7. Only charged $80 for the pair.
jkayes

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2007 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Call John at Halsey Litgard in San Mateo. He'll make your sail stronger than it was before. (650) 347-2540. No, I don't work for him, but I swear by his work. He repaired my 5.3 that ripped completely in half and it sailed better than new (hmm, does that say something about how good John is or the durability of North Sails?).
Bayside

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2007 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have used Halsey Lidgard several times and they do a great job - had a panel replaced in a North sail last year for ~$100.
faradroka1

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2007 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ben at boardsports in berkeley has repaired three of my sails. did a good job and cheap. he'll also regrip your boom.
carl

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2007 11:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spinnaker Sails in Mountain View repaired a top luff that was becoming apart a few years ago, they did great work. They are in the same building as West Marine on San Antonio Rd. Ask for Matt. They may do monofilm too. (I've been keeping the box cutters away from my sails lately).

For monofilm panels Halsey Liggard does excellent work, i'll 3rd that recomendation.
swchandler

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2007 12:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Folks are boxcutting sails on your car? What's this kind of thing about? Are these folks specifically targeting windsurfers, and where is this sort of nonsense occurring? Frankly, I'm sure glad that I store everything inside a van.
marin

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2007 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I personally think it makes a big difference to take the sail to someone that knows about how windsurfing sails are made and what they are worth. Sailboat sails are totally different and the sailboat guys generally don't understand the best way to fix windsurfing stuff.

Ben knows about windsurfing sails and I think he works for Hansen sails too. He won't do a $150 repair on a sail worth $100 unless you want it. When he fixes the luff he knows that the mast still needs to slide in and out over the repair, etc.

I also think cost and turnaround time are much better then most sailmakers.

Bummer you have to drive it to Berkeley, but I also think you can work things out so he'll meet up with you in the middle, but you have to ask him about that.

I think he said he was doing kites now too.

I've been very happy.
Epenrose

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2007 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've used John many times at Halsey Litgard in San Mateo.

Not only a lovely fellow but excellent work. He places my wave sales with 10mm ex-ply. Does the trick.

Never ha d a panel fail again.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: