myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Southern California rocks
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
capetonian

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2008 11:10 pm    Post subject: Southern California rocks Reply with quote

One reason why LA is better than San Francisco - Mt Blady! I skied there this morning, only 60 miles from Santa Monica. 2 feet of powder on top of a solid base. The south bowl and the lines below chair 1 were sick. So good I almost forgot I haven't sailed in the last 3 weeks. Best part was that even thought the parking lot was packed and there was a long wait at every chair, there was still plenty of fresh powder in the south bowl and chair 1. I guess most people who ski there are intermediates and most of the expert skiers go to Mammoth?

With snow like that who needs political discourse?
FredBGG

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2008 2:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wait till you start dirtbiking Wink

Jawbone... Gorman.... Pismo Beach (Dirt biking and kiting nirvana)
coolmtnbiker048

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2008 11:27 am    Post subject: Re: Southern California rocks Reply with quote

capetonian wrote:
One reason why LA is better than San Francisco - Mt Blady! I skied there this morning, only 60 miles from Santa Monica. 2 feet of powder on top of a solid base. The south bowl and the lines below chair 1 were sick. So good I almost forgot I haven't sailed in the last 3 weeks. Best part was that even thought the parking lot was packed and there was a long wait at every chair, there was still plenty of fresh powder in the south bowl and chair 1. I guess most people who ski there are intermediates and most of the expert skiers go to Mammoth?

With snow like that who needs political discourse?

MT BALDY ROCKS!
dabull1

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2008 1:02 pm    Post subject: Baldy; hey I resemble that remark! Reply with quote

Mt Baldy is skiing in So Cal. Only problem is you need beaucoup[sp?] snow on those face runs or you will find some of those" LA ROCKS!" I used to go midweek and ski there whenever conditions permitted, followed the snow plow in and out several times, SWEET! Next time, try the two glade runs farthest down the ridge toward the parking lot, I believe one of them is named Morton's or Morgan's, fairly steep chutes with blown in snow on top of the powder, EXTRA SWEET! With all this good snow around here I may have to bring the good boards back from Mammoth for a little hometown delight! SNOW!!! Bull PS Easy on the Frisco boys 'cause they'll remind you that Tahoe is their local area and it's only a couple of hours away!
nealpar

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2008 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Big Bear, Saturday, January 26, 2008.

Mild weather, surprisingly low crowds for a Saturday, healthy 3 foot base. Nothing compared to Mammoth's 85-100' or Heavenly's 90-100+ base, but a fun time, anyway. Broke in my new snowboard boots...or maybe the other way around.

023.JPG
 Description:
Big Bear, 1/26/08
 Filesize:  600.3 KB
 Viewed:  13789 Time(s)

023.JPG

dabull1

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2008 1:32 pm    Post subject: SKI TRIP??? Reply with quote

OK Leo crew, when are we going to do some turns together? Bull
madspaniard

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2008 1:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Southern California rocks Reply with quote

capetonian wrote:
One reason why LA is better than San Francisco - Mt Blady!

I guess you haven't heard of Kirkwood or Lake Tahoe Very Happy

You don't need to compare to SF to say all the good stuff about Mt Blady
nealpar

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2008 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DaBull, you go and organize it! Laughing Some weekday, in the local mountains..in the next 2 weeks!!! I'll be there! Or perhaps you have a Mammoth condo you'd like to share??? Laughing Laughing Laughing
capetonian

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2008 4:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Southern California rocks Reply with quote

madspaniard wrote:
I guess you haven't heard of Kirkwood or Lake Tahoe Very Happy

You don't need to compare to SF to say all the good stuff about Mt Blady

I agree, Kirkwood and Lake Tahoe rock. The view of the lake from the top of Heavenly is beyond beautiful. Kirkwood is seriously steep - a larger version of Mt Baldy with all the snow that I wish Mt Baldy got.

BUT, neither are within 60 miles of the ocean. Ski and sail/surf in the same day! Very Happy
capetonian

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2008 4:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Baldy; hey I resemble that remark! Reply with quote

dabull1 wrote:
Next time, try the two glade runs farthest down the ridge toward the parking lot, I believe one of them is named Morton's or Morgan's, fairly steep chutes with blown in snow on top of the powder, EXTRA SWEET!

The glade closest to the parking lot had the debris from a serious avalanche running all the way to the gully. I saw a guy try to charge it anyway, and go cartwheeling halfway down the slope. However the glade next to it was EXTRA SWEET. Fresh powder kept extra fluffy because it stayed in the shade the whole day. Laughing

I hope this current rain is not destroying the base low down.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: