myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Shark sighting at Leo Carrillo
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
NORMPE

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2007 2:32 am    Post subject: Shark sighting at Leo Carrillo Reply with quote

This notice was posted at Leo. It was mostly trashed after the rain and blew away later today. I don't know who posted it, but i would hope the lifeguards/sheriffs would know how to spell 'Carrillo'.

DSC00076.JPG
 Description:
posted at Leo 12-5-07
 Filesize:  330.13 KB
 Viewed:  18325 Time(s)

DSC00076.JPG

theq

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2007 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perhaps it was the "Guardian of the Bomborra" taking an evening stroll, in search of an appetizer? Or the big gray bus, stopping at all of the bus stops along his route? Shocked

While it's not really any surprise, that a shark would be in the ocean, it does cause me to assess the condition of my equipment a little more carefully. How much is your life worth, relative to a length of down-haul rope?

Since we all sail rather independently of other sailors, and have no automatic checks on our equipment by others, we ocean sailors should really check our stuff more often than most of us do. If it looks iffy, replace it in a jiffy. With more shark sightings, that'll probably happen.
beallmd

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2007 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shark encounters are way up in California and Maui and the reasons are obvious. It's not Global warming or Ocean destruction or overfishing. Sorry. It is that the seals, sea lion and otter populations have exploded in California. And on Maui the turtle population has gone through the roof. 10 to 15 years ago it was rare to see turtles- you had to go to turtle town or might occasionally see one while sailing, now every time your in 20 or 30 feet of water you see them. If you haven't noticed San Fran is overrun with sealions especially. and these populations have caused havoc with Abalone, Crab and fish populations on the coast. Virtually ALL animals live where thier food is. This is true of Rattlesnakes; they live, in the summer, where the rodents are everytime. Same for other predators, especially sharks. so we better get used to many more encounters as more and more people are in the water (another reason) along the California coast and on Maui
nealpar

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2007 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Geee, I find it interesting that the biggest swell of the year just happened to occur around the same time that this "shark siting notice" was posted by the (surfer-biased) lifeguards.
dabull1

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2007 12:25 pm    Post subject: SHARKS!!! Reply with quote

Just another good reason to go skiing this time of year. Sharks brought to courtesy of Mammoth Mountain. Bull PS, NP very perceptive, some call it CONSPIRACY!!!
jp5

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2007 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

never fear, excaliber is here. we'll make sushi out of him.
nealpar

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2007 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the posting is bogus. Would the city/county use cheesy silver duct tape over paper to display such a warning? Somehow, I don't think so. Prolly a prank.
FredBGG

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2007 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Around those days there was a fishing boat,quite large) anchored in the kelp for two days. Saw them gutting fish etc on the boat. F*#king ass holes.

Fishing should be banned at all beaches where there are in the water recreation...surfing...swimming, etc.
Won't happen though that would be to civilized.

That is the type of activity that may attrack sharks.

As an award winning underwater film maker I find all forms of fishing unaceptable. Having seen the increadible beauty and the sentience of underwater life the whole idea of fishing disgusts me.
To call it a sport is even more rediculous!

Also keep in mind that threasher sharks are quite common around here.
Menacing looking fellas, but pretty much harmless to man.

It would not be the first real sighting at Leo.....

Cheers

Fred
beallmd

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2007 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you remember back a few years ago when the boat captain from Santa Cruz was running tourists up to Ana Nuevo and chumming for Sharks so the people could see the great whites there? This was very near Waddell and Ana which surfers use as well. Just seemed unsafe to call for sharks in a recreation zone. He was finally talked out of doing that and stopped.
MalibuGuru

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2007 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This posting is bogus, look how they spelled leo carillo!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: