myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Ice report Lake Quannapowitt?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lexflyer

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2008 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

spyder wrote:
ps. "call the poster on the phone if you can dig up their number" ???!!! geez dude, are you a stalker ?

My point was, don’t hide behind anonymity and post something you wouldn’t be prepared to defend in person. That’s what the corporate and government shills who hack Wikipedia do. I wasn't talking about anything more than the possibility of a polite, timely phone call. Yes, it's not common and no, I've never done it.
spyder

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2008 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lexflyer wrote:
Responding to a troll with trollish behavior just perpetuates an endless flame war.

lexflyer wrote:
spyder wrote:
ps. "call the poster on the phone if you can dig up their number" ???!!! geez dude, are you a stalker ?

My point was, don’t hide behind anonymity and post something you wouldn’t be prepared to defend in person. That’s what the corporate and government shills who hack Wikipedia do. I wasn't talking about anything more than the possibility of a polite, timely phone call. Yes, it's not common and no, I've never done it.

agreed on both points, however when you have a legacy like mr. brucie that has been a troll for YEARS on this forum, and iK, with countless aliases, there's a bit more to it than this particular thread. however, i don't consider pueno's posts to be of "flamer" level. they are innocuous and usually give me a chuckle.

as for personal phone calls, it's called "invasion of privacy" and possibly stalking. anonymity is what the internet is about, giving out your identity to the world is just plain dumb in this day in age. of course abuses of anonymity is the downside. luckily most people are reasonable, and mature about it, for those who aren't ...that's what the Moderator's DELETE is all about.
lexflyer

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2008 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

spyder wrote:
agreed on both points, however when you have a legacy like mr. brucie that has been a troll for YEARS on this forum, and iK, with countless aliases, there's a bit more to it than this particular thread. however, i don't consider pueno's posts to be of "flamer" level. they are innocuous and usually give me a chuckle.

I've only posted in three threads in this forum and only two in my region. In both of the regional threads, speedy/cosmicharlie put up posts that actually have relevance to people who sail around here. But the first thread just became a flamefest against charlie, picking on one small spelling mistake he made. So a small group of people seem to figure that it's OK to disrupt any thread where speedy/charlie/whatever posts, even if it's a good thread and speedy is making relevant contributions to it. That thread was the first I ever posted in on IW, and my post was the only one relevant to the thread topic out of 15 posts. So all you guys are doing is disrupting valid threads and making charlie more defensive and more prone to get angry because he's being flamed. How does this help? Egging/flaming charlie doesn't help anything, it only disrupts valid threads. The people who are disrupting these threads don't care anything about the topic of the thread. You'll find very few people trashing these threads who live in that area and care about the topic.

So my main point is this: if charlie, under his many aliases, is sometimes trollish, from my reading of many of his posts in this forum and others, he's also often not. So please, don't disrupt the good threads where charlie is posting fine to the detriment of all the people who actually care about the thread. As for threads where he or someone else may be acting trollish, it never helps to feed a troll, it's always best to ignore them, doing otherwise just disrupts those threads even more.

charlie isn't going away. You can ban a poster, but charlie and anyone else can come back under another alias. I think some people are after charlie because they just don't like him and that's not a good reason. And to have good threads be willfully disrupted by people who could care less about the topic, just because charlie happens to have posted there and acted trollish at some time in the past, just makes everyone else suffer. charlie happens to live in my region and sometimes posts some information relevant to the region, but most of the people who flame him probably don't live here and could care less.

spyder wrote:
anonymity is what the internet is about

I don't really agree. I'd say the web is about collaboration. But yeah, much better to PM or IM someone you've encountered on a forum rather than call them. I don't have a problem with people calling me if they want to have a civil conversation, but many people might find that too invasive. What goes around, comes around, treat people the way you want to be treated and treat yourself well. Smile
mogunn

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2008 1:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lexflyer wrote:
So my main point is this: if charlie, under his many aliases, is sometimes trollish, from my reading of many of his posts in this forum and others, he's also often not. So please, don't disrupt the good threads where charlie is posting fine to the detriment of all the people who actually care about the thread. As for threads where he or someone else may be acting trollish, it never helps to feed a troll, it's always best to ignore them, doing otherwise just disrupts those threads even more.

I sense you're a gentleman/woman and a credit to all who aspire to internet responsibility whose goal is on-topic discourse. Although I can't speak for anyone but myself, I believe some here will agree that your high hopes are a good thing!

On the flip side, it seems more than half of your iWindsurf posts have contributed to the very off-topic conversation you so adamantly claim to abhor. With that in mind, your interest in collaboration seems neutralized by your time spent aiding and abetting.

Rather than finger pointing and admonishing the unwashed and unrepentant posters here, consider sharing some pics of your favorite sailing site or your windsurfing buddies or your pet dog on a board. Rise above and you shall be set free!

Proactive or reactive, it's a choice.

My vote will always be for choice!
Wink

lexflyer

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2008 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

coyotewindsurf wrote:
On the flip side, it seems more than half of your iWindsurf posts have contributed to the very off-topic conversation you so adamantly claim to abhor.

Valid point.

coyotewindsurf wrote:
Rather than finger pointing and admonishing the unwashed and unrepentant posters here, consider sharing some pics of your favorite sailing site or your windsurfing buddies or your pet dog on a board.

Will do. Smile
pueno

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2008 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lexflyer wrote:
That’s what the corporate and government shills who hack Wikipedia do....

Interesting point. I had my first interactions with "tycoonguy" when he was very aggressively shilling a Yahoo finance forum for a company that eventually failed. Tycoonguy was so incredibly foul, nasty, disruptive, and abrasive that employees, retirees, customers, and stockholders couldn't converse -- which was just what the crooked management wanted and is why they hired this guy to trash the forum.

That Yahoo tycoonguy had a unique way of spelling prabably, optain, asnine, croud, colour, harbour, humour, etc.

What a coincidence!
spyder

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2008 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

coyotewindsurf wrote:
lexflyer wrote:

I sense you're a gentleman/woman and a credit to all who aspire to internet responsibility whose goal is on-topic discourse. Although I can't speak for anyone but myself, I believe some here will agree that your high hopes are a good thing!

On the flip side, it seems more than half of your iWindsurf posts have contributed to the very off-topic conversation you so adamantly claim to abhor. With that in mind, your interest in collaboration seems neutralized by your time spent aiding and abetting.

Rather than finger pointing and admonishing the unwashed and unrepentant posters here, consider sharing some pics of your favorite sailing site or your windsurfing buddies or your pet dog on a board. Rise above and you shall be set free!

Proactive or reactive, it's a choice.

My vote will always be for choice!
Wink

ah, refreshing! like a glass of cool lemonade.
maybe there's a market for FORUM CHURCH ?
Laughing
icesailing

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

so hows the ice looking for the weekend

sail2.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  17.81 KB
 Viewed:  13309 Time(s)

sail2.jpg

River-Lizard

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

spyder wrote:
luckily most people are reasonable, and mature about it, for those who aren't ...

LOL, look who's talking! Rolling Eyes
speedysailor

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2008 8:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

River-Lizard wrote:
spyder wrote:
luckily most people are reasonable, and mature about it, for those who aren't ...

LOL, look who's talking! Rolling Eyes
Most posters see themselves in these forums and no one else.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5

Jump to: