myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Cabrillo Beach
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SPP88

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2008 9:09 pm    Post subject: Clearing Winds Reply with quote

Tillsen
One more thing you may want to know: after winter storms often there will be a clearing wind out of the northwest often 20+mph. Some hard core side-on wave sailing can be done on west facing beaches in the South Bay (Manhattan, Hermosa, Redondo). Look at El Porto (North Manhattan Beach) for the most likely ridable waves or Torrance Beach. Not many do it (more kiters these days) because the wind and water are too cold for most, but considering where you're from maybe it will seem like home. Otherwise, see you at Cabrillo in the spring.

cheers.
nealpar

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 2:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

capetonian wrote:
LA is not the surf mecca many people think it is.

Who thinks that???

What LA is...LA and vicinity is a worldclass playground! You name it, LA has it.

Those 'other' places with the epic conditions.... they are usually "rural" or "island" places... and yes they're fun, but after about a month...you want to get the hell out 'cause you're bored in other respects.

LA=NEVER BORING!
capetonian

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nealpar wrote:
What LA is...LA and vicinity is a worldclass playground! You name it, LA has it.

Those 'other' places with the epic conditions.... they are usually "rural" or "island" places... and yes they're fun, but after about a month...you want to get the hell out 'cause you're bored in other respects.

LA=NEVER BORING!

World class windsurfing is stretching it a bit, but otherwise I agree. Where else can you have a real job and still be able to surf/sail/ski/snowboard/mountain bike/hike/hang out at a beautiful beach all in the same day (not that I have ever had enough energy to do more than one activity in a day, but it is very possible). Plus within a 300 mile radius of LA there is world class skiing/snowboarding (Mammoth), sufing (Trestles, Rincon, Malibu, etc), windsurfing (Jalama), mountain biking & hiking (San Bernadino, San Gabriels, Sierras, etc), and almost endless beaches from Santa Barbara down to San Diego.
coachg

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nealpar wrote:
capetonian wrote:
LA is not the surf mecca many people think it is.

LA=NEVER BORING!

Sorry Tita, but S.F. is neither rural, boring or an island. Epic wind, epic snow, epic wave, all the pro & major college sports,white water rafting & kayaking, night life, dangerous zoos..... No way you are bored after a couple of years. There is way too much to do up here.

Coachg
madspaniard

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

capetonian wrote:

Where else can you have a real job and still be able to surf/sail/ski/snowboard/mountain bike/hike/hang out at a beautiful beach all in the same day (not that I have ever had enough energy to do more than one activity in a day, but it is very possible). Plus within a 300 mile radius of LA there is world class skiing/snowboarding (Mammoth), sufing (Trestles, Rincon, Malibu, etc), windsurfing (Jalama), mountain biking & hiking (San Bernadino, San Gabriels, Sierras, etc), and almost endless beaches from Santa Barbara down to San Diego.

Let me think..oh yeah! the SF Bay Area, in my opinion water and weather are colder which ruins the beach scene but wind is much better
nealpar

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

coachg wrote:

Sorry Tita, but S.F. is neither rural, boring or an island. Epic wind, epic snow, epic wave, all the pro & major college sports,white water rafting & kayaking, night life, dangerous zoos..... No way you are bored after a couple of years. There is way too much to do up here.
Coachg

Come on, coachg, why do you have to turn this too into a pissing contest?
First of all, the word "usually" in my comment indicates that it applies to MOST situations, but obviously leaving room for the exception.

However, when I think of "epic" surf/windsurf, I don't think of SF anymore than I'd think of LA. SF is also a great playground...no doubt. However, I won't quit my dayjob to sell windsurf/suf vacation packages to SF, for fear of starving to death. Wink
coachg

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nealpar,
I'm not turning this into a pissing contest. And it looks like I mistook your comment incorrectly. Sorry about that, but you do have a tendancy towards "Ready, Fire, Aim" when making comments sometimes.

I, in no way implied in my comment that LA is not a good destination for a vacation. But the Bay area is a windsurfing destination as the number of Europeans who buy season passes for Sherman Island can attest. And while you may not be able to make a living selling windsurf vacations to S.F., it was one of the hotspots listed for the U.S. in Windsurfing Magazine while LA was not.

Coachg
erik

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dutch?

Cabrillo is een prima plek om te surfen. Beetje saai wat golven betreft misschien maar prima betrouwbare wind, schoon water, vrijwel geen boten en dus veel ruimte! Mail even als je in LA aankomt, er zeilen zeker 4 Nederlanders hier!
allen

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So you live in LA and you could have the same job/salary in SF, would you move?? Weather's not much worse, access to Davenport, Sherman, Third Ave. Way more 4.5-5.5 days..........Pretty much a no brainer.......

How about the Pac. NW, same job/salary, 9 mos of bad weather for 3 mos. of gorge sailing?
Tough one, you could go up there on vacation for a couple weeks and get your 4.0 on and then back to SoCal for the weather.....
sharkasm

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Smile

Last edited by sharkasm on Sun Sep 21, 2008 5:30 pm; edited 2 times in total
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5

Jump to: