myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Cabrillo Beach
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tillsen

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2008 4:55 pm    Post subject: Cabrillo Beach Reply with quote

Hello everybody,
i will move to LA in February for 6 months coming from the(more or less) wind and wave spoiled dutch coast.
I read about Cabrillo beach and it will be about 30 min from where i live in LA. SO, i have a couple of questions. First of all, how consistent is Cabrillo in the months february till September??I am talking about 18 knots plus(wanna take my 5.8 and 5.0). And how consistent are the waves??Are they rideable??
And my last question would be. What kinda board should i buy there?I am a pretty o.k. sailor doing Frontloops,spocks etc. I am pretty Tall and heavy(195 pounds). So what kinda board would you recommend??90 Liter Wave Freestyle??

Thanks in advance

Till
MikeUzi

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2008 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your timing is great! The breeze is most consistent at Cabrillo Apr-Sep. For wave sailing, you will want to hit Leo Carillo or Jalama. Leo will get good on the occasional South swell, Jalama will pick up swell from all directions and can get very heavy. The gear you mentioned should be good. I weigh 160lbs and normally sail on a 86 liter/5.5.
Tillsen

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2008 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jThanks. just read about Leo Carillo. I think this is gonna be my future favourite spot i guess Very Happy How consistent are the south swells??
82dbar

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2008 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, Don't confuse Cabrillo Beach with Leo Carillo Beach,as they are miles and perhaps hours apart depending on the traffic. Cabrillo Beach is located at the tip of San Pedro and is not the windiest spot around. Most of the time the locals (and there are many, many locals) bring and use big boards and big sails. Not much going on until the spring and then it can be occasionally good. Later it is the typical LA 8-14 mph afternoon seabreeze. Lots of kites, too, but are regulated. Parking is tight also but the wind is fairly consistant considering where you are. Jalama is a long way away, past Santa Barbara and can be pretty gnarly with gale force winds and big surf. Leo Carillo is a pretty good early spring spot. Good luck.
capetonian

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2008 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cabrillo doesn't have worthwhile rideable waves. Leo Carillo does not have consistently rideable waves (though it is good when there is a big south swell), the wave zone is small and crowded with surfers. Jalama is a long drive. I am 190 lb and have never used smaller than a 6.0 at Cabrillo (usually a 7.5 on a slalom board) or smaller than a 5.0 at Leo Carillo (usually a 6.0). Jalama can be scary, as in scary big and scary strong winds.

A 90 L wave/wave freestyle, a 5.5 and a 6.0 should suffice for LA sailing. Bring a 4.7 for Jalama.
cbknap

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2008 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

82dbar wrote:
Hi, Don't confuse Cabrillo Beach with Leo Carillo Beach,as they are miles and perhaps hours apart depending on the traffic. Cabrillo Beach is located at the tip of San Pedro and is not the windiest spot around. Most of the time the locals (and there are many, many locals) bring and use big boards and big sails. Not much going on until the spring and then it can be occasionally good. Later it is the typical LA 8-14 mph afternoon seabreeze. Lots of kites, too, but are regulated. Parking is tight also but the wind is fairly consistant considering where you are. Jalama is a long way away, past Santa Barbara and can be pretty gnarly with gale force winds and big surf. Leo Carillo is a pretty good early spring spot. Good luck.

The above post is riddled with error. These are the facts:

--From July through September Cabrillo is the most consistently windy spot in Southern California, with 10-20 days a month of 20 mph average winds.
--No kiting at Cabrillo on summer weekends
--Cabrillo is not a great wave-riding site because the wave breaks too close to the sand. But some people do wave-sail there.
--Leo Carrillo is much farther north, almost to the Ventura County Line. It's a much better wave site although windsurfers must rub elbows with surfers and kiters.
--Both beaches work on thermal winds (when it's hot inland) but Cabrillo blows early in the day (as early as noon) and begins to ramp down at 6. Leo starts later (around 4) and blows a little later into the evening.
--There are many other good sites including Seal Beach, Sunset Beach, and County Line, each with its own benefits.
--Bring a 5.8 and a 6.8 and you can sail nearly every summer day.

(and welcome to LA).
Tillsen

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2008 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all the answers!! I am definetly looking forward to shred some waves in the LA area!!
capetonian

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2008 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tillsen wrote:
I am definetly looking forward to shred some waves in the LA area!!

Provided you lower your expectations (i.e. inconsistent swell, or no wind when there is swell) there is a lot of fun sailing in/around/near LA. LA is not the surf mecca many people think it is.

There is also fun flat water sailing at Lake Lopez and Lake Isabella, but both are long drives (i.e. weekend trips).
Tillsen

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2008 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well of course my expectations are not super high. I mean LA is not as famous for windsurfing as Capetown for example but if i get a proper sail once or twice a week, even if it is flat water freestyle, i am happy!
bowen1

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2008 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tillsen - it sounds like you're bringing the most important ingredient with you - a good attitude!!

You'll do fine here. Welcome to LA.

Cheers.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: