myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
30+ mph N-NE Wind at Rio Today . . . . Sailable?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bob1

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2008 2:05 pm    Post subject: 30+ mph N-NE Wind at Rio Today . . . . Sailable? Reply with quote

Noticed some nice N puffs blowing down through Delta this late am . . . is it sailable? Launch off levy-- the Sign, Power Lines, etc? How about tides? Some local knowledge please, I got the itch . . .
bob1

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2008 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, just got my lazy a** to search the forum. Sounds like Windy Cove is the place for these NE'ly winds . . . How is the sailing? Comparable to levy launches in westerlies? Any Ramps? Ebb tide best?

Trying to figure if worth a drive on my day off . . . thanks.
afolander

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2008 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will probably be out there later this afternoon with location depending on wind.

These north wind patterns usually peak around midday. One potential extra challenge this afternoon is there is a relatively strong ebb current (peaks about 1pm).

I think the highest quality wind is normally at Windy Cove but launching is limited to S of the park near the bridge or N (The Jungle). I would not lauch at the the bridge today with the ebb.

I have launched at Powerlines with a similar NW wind and had very long reaches. If the wind dies you can swim over to the levy road.

Going out on long reaches at SI County Park / Access could be risky with the strong ebb this afternoon if the wind dies.

If you don't have a good wet suit or Thermal layers you will get cold fast.
jjstien

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2008 4:40 pm    Post subject: sailing today Reply with quote

The Access east though powerlines have very trublent air coming off the hills to the north. I have given up sailing northerlies here due to injury and breakage... just not fun. Windy cove area was good when the launch was intact... The jungle is probably the best bet...
rigatoni

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2008 5:53 pm    Post subject: brrrr.... Reply with quote

http://cdec.water.ca.gov/cgi-progs/queryF?EMM

46 degree water out there-don't fall in.
Jalan

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2008 6:04 pm    Post subject: Bridge Access Reply with quote

The access West of Windy Cove is not bad but it requires a 30 yrd swim/wade to the wind line. This picture was taken the day after Thanksgiving day '07.

PB233575.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  267.12 KB
 Viewed:  15564 Time(s)

PB233575.JPG

rpaillon

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2008 6:25 pm    Post subject: What about launching at Windy Cove? Reply with quote

From the other posts it sounds like the normal launch at Windy Cove is unavailable. What happened?
madspaniard

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2008 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Erosion on the sides of the river bank at Windy Cove. The whole place is off limits. Last year Sofi and I sneaked in and rigged up ready to go when a ranger spotted us and kicked us out of there. We ended up sailing The Jungle.

Nice pic above, I remember you taking the picture that day. I'm the one closer to the camera looking back. That was the day I got sucked under the bridge when I was wading to the windline. That same day I was overpowered on my 4.2. Blew up a panel and the upper batten. It doesn't look that windy but it was really windy.
coachg

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2008 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure where you guys are located but you do have other options since they closed Windy Cove. The Sand Bar just north of the Rio Vista bridge, Rod N Gun but not today, or any of the lakes in Norther Ca. Today the wind seemed to stay north and west in the valley. Marysville & Beale Airforce Base blew all day, never below 24 mph.

Lake Oroville afterbay also known as Thermolito, Camp Far West, or if you want a long drive, Black Butte near Corning. I sailed at Lake Washington today.

Coachg
afolander

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2008 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Two of us sailed from SI County Park in the afternoon. Enough wind for me to plane from 3-4pm on a 6.5. The ebb was quite strong and the abandoned boat is still beached at the SW tip of the playpen.

Wind at Powerlines much more filled in as expected but the ebb was making the whitecaps flat.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: