myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Prius Owners
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
isobars

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2008 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jccormier wrote:
Is 3 mpg a reasonable estimate of lost milage?

10 mpg loss would not surprise me at all. Efficient vehicles are very wind-tunnel-dependent. Google it or check this site's archives. It's been discussed before.

\m/
lexflyer

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2008 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jccormier wrote:
Is 3 mpg a reasonable estimate of lost milage? If so, that's not bad.

I based that estimate partly on information from this thread:
How much do roof racks hurt Prius gas mileage?

I think 10 mpg loss with just an empty rack is way too high an estimate. That would be more like the loss with a fully loaded rack.
lexflyer

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2008 7:32 am    Post subject: Re: more car advice Reply with quote

tomg wrote:
Only down side with this and Camry hybrid is that there is no fold down seats. That means boards, masts maybe more needs to go on the roof.

The regular models have 60/40 split folding seats, but not the hybrids? That's odd, seems like they could still have that feature, as in the Prius, maybe Civic hybrid?

The Turbodiesel's are nice, my issues with them are just the reliability of some of the VW models and the fact that Diesel often sells at a pretty big premium in many places. But the mileage is great and you can even switch them to biodiesel if you want, making them very eco-friendly.
carl

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2008 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lexflyer wrote:
jccormier wrote:
Is 3 mpg a reasonable estimate of lost milage? If so, that's not bad.

I based that estimate partly on information from this thread:
How much do roof racks hurt Prius gas mileage?

I think 10 mpg loss with just an empty rack is way too high an estimate. That would be more like the loss with a fully loaded rack.

Don't discout the aerodynamic loss of roof racks. The Prius has a very aero shape and if you do alot of hiway miles, it will make a bigger difference. I put just a rack (no boards) on my mini-van and noticed a 15% drop in mpg over 2 tanks of gas (about 70% hiway miles). If it's same for Prius, 15% of 45mpg is 6.75mpg, probably worse with boards (as mentioned). Still,, 38 mpg is better than the Toyota Matrix, but the Matrix still seems like a better choice for hauling alot of gear since it's more like a wagon: longer roofline, more cargo area, fold flat passenger seat,,,, and much cheeper sticker price.
gregorvass

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2008 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I drive a supercharged stretch pinto-limusine.
It has a 72 cylinder hamster wheel and runs on lettuce and is environmentally friendly (minus the hamster poo).

I can fit one kite (properly folded) and have roof racks for a second passenger.

My AC has a special fitting for glue!!!?

Anyone want to buy it??

$123,000.00 WATABARGAIN!

junk60ch.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  13.59 KB
 Viewed:  11813 Time(s)

junk60ch.jpg

mac

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2008 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rebecca--you have to take what Isobars types with a grain of salt--he's from the right wing, global warming is a hoax madrassa. Diesel is not without issues--the fine particulate in diesel emissions is the largest cancer threat in the air in urban areas. With that said, the current modern diesels that meet the European standards, or the pending US EPA standards essentially solve the problem with good technology. So buy a new, state of the art model and keep it tuned.
r_g_armstrong

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2008 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SWE106, how do you fit masts inside a roof top box? I've don't think that I've seen a cargo box long enough for masts.
madspaniard

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2008 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

r_g_armstrong wrote:
SWE106, how do you fit masts inside a roof top box? I've don't think that I've seen a cargo box long enough for masts.

My box (Yakima) fits a 400 mast and smaller.

If I'm not wrong I remember seeing SWE's retrofitted box on the beach. He drilled a 2" (or similar) hole in the lower back side of the box and glued (with epoxy) a piece of black-painted PVC pipe with an end cap so that the section of the mast that would stick out the box can now slide into the PVC section.
sergem

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2008 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

r_g_armstrong wrote:

I used to have Thule Adventurer box that took masts up to 430 without mods.
slayer666

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2008 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another alternative to the Thule box is to use the $125 DaKine wave sailquiver bag. It fits 6 half masts in the bottom section which has a pass-thru for the straps - Inside the top part I get 3 sails easily (4.2 to 5.3) + narrow boom + harness, etc.. Add the Yakima rubber straps I am ready to go in 10 minutes.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 3 of 8

Jump to: