myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Treasure Island Remediation

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jkayes

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2008 9:05 pm    Post subject: Treasure Island Remediation Reply with quote

Does anyone have an update w/r/t the status of the Treasure Island remediation and whether it's expected that windsurfing access will resume in time for the summer season?
tomg

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2008 12:18 pm    Post subject: TI Access Reply with quote

I left messages for the Navy guy a few months and got no reply. But now is the time to lean on them to get that lot open. The work should be well done by now. I'll start calling again next week.

Tom G
pthorner

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2008 5:24 pm    Post subject: Trying to negotiate official access Reply with quote

I have been working with the Treasure Island Development Authority and they are trying to negotiate a sublease or access agreement with the Navy that will expressly allow windsurfing access at the traditionally used launch area. It sounds like discussions have been favorable and it is likely that part of any agreement will be the posting of safety information and sail at your own risk disclosures. I have provided copies of what SFBA has posted at Crissy Field and this will handle the former while the Navy would probably want to come up with language for the latter. I will continue to work with TIDA and hopefully we'll have some update during January. In the meantime, people should keep any inquiries polite so we don't move backwards.

Peter Thorner
San Francisco Boardsailing Association
jkayes

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2008 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Peter. That sounds like good news.

Jeff
madspaniard

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2008 12:24 am    Post subject: Re: Trying to negotiate official access Reply with quote

pthorner wrote:
I have been working with the Treasure Island Development Authority and they are trying to negotiate a sublease or access agreement with the Navy that will expressly allow windsurfing access at the traditionally used launch area. It sounds like discussions have been favorable and it is likely that part of any agreement will be the posting of safety information and sail at your own risk disclosures. I have provided copies of what SFBA has posted at Crissy Field and this will handle the former while the Navy would probably want to come up with language for the latter. I will continue to work with TIDA and hopefully we'll have some update during January. In the meantime, people should keep any inquiries polite so we don't move backwards.

Peter Thorner
San Francisco Boardsailing Association

Thanks Peter,

That would answer questions regarding future use of the launch area but we still don't know the status of the environmental remediation project (excavation). Do you know if they are still on schedule?

Thanks
tomg

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2008 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Phone the Navy yesterday (1/15). According to the Navy project manager, Jim Sullivan, we are looking at end of June before we can use the parking area and launch again. I asked if he thought we could get a walkway along the shore, as proposed by SFBA and he cited safety concerns with the contractor's equipment and the dangers of radium-containing soil (ha! like windsurfers care about being safe!).

My take is that this is not good news because 1) we usually have great sailing out there starting in April and 2) military contractors and these "remediations" are typically months / years behind schedule. For example, they were suppose to be done by the end of LAST summer!

Tom G.
madspaniard

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2008 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tomg wrote:
My take is that this is not good news because 1) we usually have great sailing out there starting in April and 2) military contractors and these "remediations" are typically months / years behind schedule. For example, they were suppose to be done by the end of LAST summer!

Tom G.

I concur. It looks like we will be missing another TI season. Funny thing, my new company has a bunch of remediation projects and I just started working for the Navy project in Mare Island, Vallejo. It looks like these projects always take more time than estimated.
jerrybertrand

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2008 5:07 pm    Post subject: Peter Thorner and TI Reply with quote

I agree that it does not look good for 2008. However, my hope is that Peter can find some way to get TIDA and the Navy to allow this to happen sooner and not later. What's a little radium among friends - Madame (Marie) Curie discovered it (and Polonium) all of her life and still lived to be 67! Sign me up!
shitan

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2008 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I drove through TI a little over a week ago and i saw the contractor still working on some sites at the NNW side. The original parking lot still closed and the gate still there.

What i see here, we already lost the credibility of those people and whatever they will tell us in the future are just more lies. If you guys interested in sailing TI so keep an eyes on the tides and lets make a special section for TI on this forum where people can plan trips on ebb tides, discuss the access (the lower launch site), How the "elevator" works, and the most important is to find people there if you wanna sail (TI).
Although this could be done at a smaller scale: call you buddies and head off. You may end up with just one or two guys uncertain of the condition, or worse: no body shows up.

Having TI community forum will definitely put more comfort in the spooky spot. Whenever you get to the Island after work you find 20 cars already parked, that gives a warm confident feel.

s.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: