myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
S.Ca - Anyone sailing C-Street/Leo area?
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
melpel

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2007 8:12 pm    Post subject: S.Ca - Anyone sailing C-Street/Leo area? Reply with quote

We got the Santa Ana winds today... seemed pretty steady. I see a forecast for higher winds tomorrow (Jan 1). Anybody sailing?

I've been looking at trying the (Oxnard) Channel Island Harbor entrance (beach north of the entrance). The winds have been solid there, and there is an easy launch inside the break wall. From there a person could sail flat water inside, or go beyond the break to get into the swell. The obvious downside - offshore winds (marine radio required). Also a little bit of a trek from the parking to the launch from the beach.

I have not seen anyone sail this, but I've seen several good days there this season (while fishing the jetty). Anyone every try this? Any comments? Anyone interested...?
swchandler

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2008 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Port Hueneme is the place to sail on Santa Ana winds. I sailed there yesterday on a 4.2, but it's a bit unnerving to sail alone in strong offshores. Eric from Ventura showed up about 1:00 PM after I was done and derigging, yet he also had a good solo session. Usually the wind dies off mid day, but it didn't yesterday. The wind event was stronger than usual.
jp5

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2008 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Even my 700 pound Harley Davidson with 2 people on it was getting blown all over PCH yesterday. There were some very strong gusts.

Has anyone ever launched from Topanga and sailed to Santa Monica on these Santa Ana days? It looks like it could be done.
nealpar

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2008 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Santa Ana is totally doable. Cool

All you need is a rescue boat or jetski to follow you around and drag you back to shore when you're about half-way to Catalina. Also, having an alternate quiver, ready rigged, would be advisable, as during Santa Anas, you may need a 6.5 and a 3.7, all within a few minutes of each other. Laughing

Swchandler didn't offer any details about his sailing experience, but to be honest, if Port Hueneme was such a desirable place to sail during Santa Anas, then we'd ALL be there. I've heard that the water is incredibly polluted there, and the wind....well, you have to be there at the "right time". Thus, while many people have "tried" Port Hueneme, for some reason, they also choose not to return. Hmmm.

Having said that, I've been trying to figure out a way to put these Santa Anas to good use, as they seem to be occurring more and more often the last few years.
cbknap

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2008 5:54 pm    Post subject: Three ocean sites for Santa Anas... Reply with quote

Here's three sites I've tried in Santa Anas....for all of them the iwindsurf sensor needs to be showing an average of 20 or it's not worth it to go out...lulls are just too low. Use a board that will just float you, a small fin and a stable (ie; cammed) sail in the 5.5 to 6.3 range.

1. NE wind: Inside Cabrillo. PROS: because you are launching inside you are sailing in "onshore" conditions. CONS: Wind is flukey here even when it shows 20. Lots of kelp too. Don't drink the water.

2. NW or NNW Wind: Belmont Shore (LB). PROS: Straight side-shore to slightly side-off when it's this direction. There is a lifeguard boat (although you should sail with a buddy who can go back to shore and call them). CONS: Meters cost $1 an hour. Gay cruisers gawk when you're nekkid Embarassed

3. ENE wind: Seal Beach PROS: Sail in exactly the same direction as in typical WSW wind, just on port tack. CONS: Farther out you go the windier, and riskier it gets. It's a long swim in.
NORMPE

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2008 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've done topanga to MDR during santa anas, but probably never will again. I always tell myself not to go out in those conditions, but i seem to forget. I've been having pretty good luck sailing inside the Marina lately, but if you don't have a gate key or a friend at UCLA there aren't any good launches. If it's low tide you can launch off the small beach that forms at the end of Via Marina right into the main channel. Launching from Playa or Venice and then entering the marina is very difficult because of the wind holes made by the breakwaters.
swchandler

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2008 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Regarding sailing Port Huemene, it can be quite a bit more challenging than the normal fare, particularly if the surf is up. Given it's a port tack launch and the wind is nearly straight offshore, the circumstances can combine to make things much tougher overall. Nonetheless, I've had many rewarding days there over the years, and I find that adjusting and working through the differences makes one a better sailor. But, I understand that some folks don't like things out of their comfort zone.

The wind at PH can be on the gusty side, especially at the launch site due to the multi-story condos present there, but things usually even out more as one moves down towards the power plant. There can still be holes here and there to contend with, but a lot depends on the nature of each Santa Ana wind event. New Years day was pretty darn solid, even at the launch site. In my experience, the idea that the wind goes from 3.7 to 6.5 in a few minutes is simply not true. Yet, I find that it pays to rig a bit on the big side and handle the stronger gusts. Today's rangy sails really make this easier and far more realistic than in the past. However, Santa Ana winds can often switch off quite quickly, so it pays to be watchful of the conditions. Usually, Santa Ana winds tend to fade and disappear around mid day, but not always. A strong event, like what happened on Tuesday, can go all day (It was still cranking when I left around 3:00PM).

I question the thought that Port Hueneme is incredibly polluted, at least where we sail during Santa Ana wind events. I don't doubt that the water inside the port itself is polluted, yet it must be remembered that the harbors (PH, Channel Islands, and Ventura, to include the Santa Clara River mouth) are all quite a bit west of where one sails on Santa Anas. Given the fact that the longshore current moves west up the coast, the likelihood significant water pollution up current is very doubtful in my mind. But to be frank, there is a factory operation located between the launch site and the power plant that vents airborn pollutants that I believe are solvent based. Yet, it's just a relatively small panel or corridor, so it's easy to sail in clean wind to the east of the factory.

Is Port Hueneme sailing for everyone? Truly, I don't think so. I think it takes one with a sense of adventure to tap into what it has to offer. I realized years ago that the majority of windsurfers like to stick with the herd at one or two locales, and they don't easy adjust to change. I don't mean to be critical in this observation. I think it says a lot about human nature and habits. Still though, I often wish that folks were more flexible and adventurous in nature, if only to be able to share in some of the "off the beaten path" opportunities out there.
Kevinmc

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2008 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi NP-

Ahhh such Hueneme pessimism! Crying or Very sad Definitely a brutal place to sail....but can be tons of fun. Years ago, we WOULD "ALL" be there. And regulars, not just people trying and never coming back. But just like C-st, Jalama, Leo and every other sailing spot in California, the crowds have dwindled a bit. No reason for kiters to be there, either. I tend to notice people show up late in the morning when it's (usually) an early morning thing just after the sun comes up. The wind dies and people leave thinking it sucks.

SWchandler is a pretty accomplished/advanced sailor and you would want to at least be a comfortable intermediate. Gusty? YES! Choppy? YES! On the outside, but smooth as glass coming back parallel to shore inside the surf line. Usually the wind is straight offshore and 30-40. The closer to the factory, the steadier it is (but still gusty Shocked ) Closer to the pier= lots of holes. Not much down the line wave sailing, but if you're brave (stupid) you can get some port tack jumps. On the very rare occasion, the wind will be more E than NE and you actually can get sideoff down the line port tack wavesailing.

It's definitely not for everyone and a completely unique kind of sailing, but then again, a lot of people don't even spend the time and figure it out. Oh and the pollution? Don't worry, a shot of tequila after your session will shrink that third arm that grows out of your head while out there! Surprised

Hueneme.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  200.56 KB
 Viewed:  20156 Time(s)

Hueneme.JPG

Kevinmc

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2008 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess SWchandler and I were sharing brainwaves at the same time....
jp5

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2008 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried it once about 10 years ago and like NP says I never went back. The wind was blowing side-offshore in the 30-40 range so I took my 97L sinker and rigged a 4.3 which is very small for me. It was just too much work to make it worthwhile. I would plane and sink then plane again then sink then a gust would hit and I'd get thrown over the bars. The idea of getting blown out to sea was never far from my mind. Bard says it's not the kind of place for guys in their 50's and I tend to believe him even though he is and still goes there.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: