myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
SUP Paddle/oar in the bay area?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DonORiordan

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2007 5:33 pm    Post subject: SUP Paddle/oar in the bay area? Reply with quote

Would like to try some SUP (Stand Up Paddleboarding), since my shoulders are shot and I can't conventionally paddle a surfboard any more. I have an old windsurf long board that I'd be happy to just try out...possibly on a lake, possibly on a real wave at the coast. But I don't have a paddle...where do I get one of these in the bay area (incl Santa Cruz), or online, or anywhere else, without paying an arm and a leg?

Don't need a board (yet), just a paddle for now to try it out on my old windsurf longboard.

Any advice? Anyone else try this? I saw some dude paddling a 30 year old longboard out at Cowells a few months back, curious to know how this worked out?
Epenrose

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2007 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don:

SUP is killer. I have a screwed back from surfing and always gets better with windsurfing. Started about 2 months ago SUP.

I have the Big Red and bought a high breed paddle for about $160. I used Wardog at surfingsports.com and he is terrific.

Wardog said that it makes you 100% skunk proof, true, except he forgot to include oil spills, so I got skunked a week!

I both surf the board and paddle all over the place, never felt better. Use it up to head high and then a shortboard. It is really fun to learn and gets you in super good shape, just remember to get a long enough paddle.

Best of luck.
mikecole

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2007 12:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Sawyer Hybrid is a nice paddle. Beautifully made in naturally occurring carbon (wood) with carbon/epoxy lay-up in the high stress areas. If you want full bling you can drop more dime on a Warner full carbon (also from SurfingSports). I'll second everything that Epenrose has said about SUP. It's really a "core" workout. You do a lot of the work with your torso and your legs are working because they are keeping the board flat on the water. If your a good longboard surfer you'll find surfing a SUPB easy. Lastly, if you get a SUPB with a mast track you can surf sail in wind so light that kites won't fly.

Mike
windbetty

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2007 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know I'm a bit late in posting on this one, but I can get you the Naish paddle for $160.
It's made of composite materials so it's not ~$400 like the carbon paddles - although Naish will be coming out with those soon.

-Rebecca
Boardsports CA
School and Shop
San Francisco, Alameda, San Mateo
swchandler

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2007 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rebecca,

Kind of off subject here, but what about the Serenity and bag that I wanted to buy. Haven't heard from you since mid-August. What's up?

Honest and realistic input would be useful.
ikrtolica

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 11:54 am    Post subject: Paddle Purveyors Reply with quote

It's great to see people get into standup - I thought I'd throw in a couple other alternative paddle manufacturers that I've had good luck with:

C4 Waterman is a Hawaii based company that makes standup boards that people on the islands seem to like a lot, and they also make full-carbon paddles that are pretty good. Service is, um, Hawaiian.

I've also used Zaveral paddles - they are hand made in upstate New York of all places, but very good. The service from ZRE has been excellent as I have lost paddles a couple times and they can usually turn one around in a couple days. Price is pretty reasonable, too, but you have to call them and order the shaft, blade, and handle.

As epenrose says above - make sure that you buy a paddle that is at least 5-6 inches taller than you, otherwise you can injure your back from the strain you will place on it by pulling on the paddle while leaning over.
windbetty

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2007 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

swchandler,

Sorry for the delay. Holiday times....I'll send you a direct email via iwindsurf too.
About the Serenity, I sent you two emails. One in late October and one over the last week or so (before I saw this). I asked if you still needed/wanted the Serenity, but didn't hear back from you so I figured that you might not want it anymore. Maybe, my emails are going to your Junk mail? Not sure what's going on here, but call me when you can: 415.385.1224. We'll get you taken care of.

Happy holidays,
-Rebecca
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: