myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
RealWinds Carbon Surf 270 XL
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jordanwd

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2007 6:31 pm    Post subject: RealWinds Carbon Surf 270 XL Reply with quote

Anyone have any comments about this Ultra ligt wind wave board in the surf . board is 130 Liters- 8'11" - more of a traditional shape compared to the short squaty boards so common nowadays, I weigh 200#s. I hope to use it in 13-up to 20 knots w/ sails 5.2--> 6.3 in med to large size surf (kind of sloppy surf) in side on to side shore/off conditions
rationalnational

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2007 8:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried that thing when I was at Solo last year. Robs a good guy but the board is a bit of a slob. probably ok for light wind sailing but wave wise it had no groin.
carl

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2007 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rational,
Can you indicate your weight?
I hear this board sails completely different if you're heavy.
laci

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2007 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the largest sail you plan to use is a 6.3 then you don't need a 130l board, (unless you are 250lb+). Real Wind makes several boards smaller that would work just fine. The 90l Fish is probably Rob's most popular shape and it works up to 6.3. He makes an even larger Fish, which is not as successful.
rationalnational

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2007 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

carl,

215 lbs.
not fat but not small.
The board sails great but I think when they get that big they're to thick to do the job the way the smaller ones do. I found a 105-110 ltr with a 6.5 was better during the light stuff. That was in San Carlos where you just have to be able to get on the wave. The wave speed does the rest. Onshore surf could be different.
Regardless, it is a well made board.
jordanwd

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2007 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well i guess I'll find out how it'll work over the next week or so, just ordered one earlier today. I don't plan to use it for windier conditions, I got an evo 80 for my bread and butter board, but I wanted something that could easily float me on those very marginal days, where my 150 # freinds are out havin fun on 5.7's and i'm stuck on the beach. I don't expect this big board to be as loose as a small board for sure, but for it's size and volume , am expecting it to perform very well on the face of the wave (fingers crossed) in very light winds....
Dave52

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2007 6:57 pm    Post subject: Realwinds 270 XL Reply with quote

Hi, I've got a 270XL and have been using it in light wind surf for several years. I'm 205lbs not real heavy but enough that 100lts or so won't do it for me here in San Diego. I use it most in 12-14mph or 14-20mph with an 8.0 or 6.7 I have sailed it powered on a 5.5 and it was great! For a board this size it turns great and I have no problem going hard off the bottom and slapping the lip hard. No, it's not a dedicated wave board but if your having to deal with light wind all the time it will keep you on the water; definitely less complaining for me.
jordanwd

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2007 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Judy,
glad to hear you're pleased w/ the 270xl. I'm stoked on it too and can't wait to try it out. 6.3 is the biggest sail i have but may have to look into a larger sail if nec though I hope to not to have to spend the extra $ on bigger sails.
So whats your impression on its tight jibing and lip smackin capabilities?
I undrstand it feels much smaller than its size due to its more traditional shape and that its very easy to go from edge to edge.. what should my realistic expectations of this board be in the surf?
Thanks!
mik377

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2007 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am coming down from the gorge to carlsbad for the winter and would appreciate some advice- is it worth bringing any gear down? I only saw a few kiteboarders last year at Cardiff and never once have I seen a windsurfer on the coast ariund here once at Doheny
thanks.
WindSapien

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2007 12:50 pm    Post subject: RealWind 270 XL Reply with quote

I have nothing but praise for all the RW line,however I must say if you are planning on using 5.2-6.3 I think you would be better off with one of their boards with less floatation. I weigh 208# and if it's blowin 6.3 (actually I use a 6.2 Real Hot wave sail) I would be on my 90 ltr. Fish or if I was slalom sailing I would be on my 85ltr RW Surflite. The 130 ltr 270 xl will get you out there but it won't be as much fun or handle as well as one of the less floaty boards. My wife uses the 270 103 ltr Carbon Power Surf as her light wind board and loves it until the wind kicks up. All the RW's handle well and have a wide range of wind . Even at my weight if it's blowing 5.2 I am on my 80ltr. RW Carbon Surflite. By the way the 90ltr. Fish will float my fat ass as long as there is a puff of wind. Think small brother. It'll make you a better sailor and the ride is way betta. WS
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: