myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
SF Bay: where to go sailing 12/07-12/08 ?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
fearnobeer

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It seems like there is always glass or fish hooks or something nasty out there that might ruin your day. Still, it's good to see some hard core people out there having fun and I'll bet that car heater feels pretty good at the end of the day.
carl

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are oyster shells too, some have even taken out booties.
Oyster Pt has alot of them at the fancy launch ramp. Be carefull.

As for booties/no booties (and helmet/no helmet) it's hard to change what you're used to. And some people on one side of the fence can't see how the other side could possibly function that way.
I've worn high-tops from the beginning and feel naked without them.
Even in Maui, I'm the geek with the high-tops, shorty wetsuit and helmet head.
eeeeeeeeek!! Yes, it took years of therapy, but I finally got used to the smirks and shreeks.
Bullroarer_Took

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 11:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So I've been captured on digital film. Cool. I felt stupid for wearing a helmet in such low wind, but it was SO cold and I forgot my beanie. I don't feel stupid for wearing booties though since every time I forget them I cut my feet.

[img]http://www.teamcoyote.net/2007Coyote/gallery/December_07_2007/A_Winter_Session.html#18[/img]
afolander

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 11:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

madspaniard wrote:
Yesterday was my first day of the year with booties in Sherman Island, very cold water.

How was the wind quality at SI? I was prepared to try launching from the Jungle early afternoon but the sensors were already reading low. I need 5mm high tops and O'Neil type Thermo layers this time of year or my feet go numb in minutes.
madspaniard

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2007 12:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Coming from the East Bay and since the wind was reading from the north I decided to stop just before the Jungle, by the steel bridge. I soon realized the wind wasn't as strong as it was reading because it had a lot of east component. It was also flooding. Nobody in the water. Last time I sailed there I ended up being sucked under the bridge so I decided to head back to Sherman Island that was reading higher at the time. It looked fine when I got there but started coming down while I was rigging. By the time I was on the water, around 12:30, the wind was gone so I kept practising some light wind freestyle until I couldn't take the cold water anymore.

BTW, there was a big sail boat (two masts) that had been pushed to shore and was sitting on its side in the reeds by the beach at the Access. The Sheriff was there too taking pictures of the boat and trying to figure out how to get the boat back on the water. I took some pics of the boat with the camera in my phone but the quality is not so good.
kevinkan

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2007 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

derekcoon wrote:
So I've been captured on digital film. Cool. I felt stupid for wearing a helmet in such low wind, but it was SO cold and I forgot my beanie. I don't feel stupid for wearing booties though since every time I forget them I cut my feet.

[img]http://www.teamcoyote.net/2007Coyote/gallery/December_07_2007/A_Winter_Session.html#18[/img]

i don't think anybody cares if you wear a helmet or not... we just care that you came out to play when most people have packed it up for the winter. good to see people come out in the "offseason".

kev
BajaVaya

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2007 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Only people with hard heads don't need hard hats.

My friend Ron Cunningham was killed by a 2 ft wave, surfing near Jalama. Board reared up, hit him on the head. Knocked out. Remained face down. Drowned.

Ron was an expert surfer and P. San Carlos windsurfer. Two great kids, beautiful wife. What a waste.
mogunn

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2007 11:48 pm    Post subject: Damed if you do...damed if you don't Reply with quote

BajaVaya wrote:
Only people with hard heads don't need hard hats.My friend Ron Cunningham was killed by a 2 ft wave, surfing near Jalama. Board reared up, hit him on the head. Knocked out. Remained face down. Drowned. Ron was an expert surfer and P. San Carlos windsurfer. Two great kids, beautiful wife. What a waste.

Craig Stroetzel died skate-sailing from hitting his head on concrete in only eight knots of wind. No helmet. Lesson learned, wear a helmet.
William "Stretch" Riedel broke his neck at Waddell while wearing a helmet. IIRC, Larry Dini and Dave Deisinger found him face down and drowning and hauled him in. Lesson learned, land wrong and you can break your neck wearing a helmet.

Not sure if there's a right or wrong. You pay your money, you take your chances.

afolander

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2007 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

madspaniard wrote:
Coming from the East Bay and since the wind was reading from the north I decided to stop just before the Jungle, by the steel bridge. . . It was also flooding. Nobody in the water. Last time I sailed there I ended up being sucked under the bridge . . . .

I think the currents around the bridge launch can be really squirrelly. On one day I launched from the bridge area last Jan. I was fightting against the ebb (with NE wind) on the the main river, yet there seemed to be either an eddy or water diversion taking me towards the bridge like a flood current would. I noticed this whenever I missed a jibe or tack in the wind shadow area within 50 yards or so near the launch.
swchandler

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2007 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

While I only sail the SF Bay area on occasion, I wanted to comment about booties and helmets.

I use both always, regardless of the situation. After cutting my feet regularly surfing rock bottom wave spots as a surfer for many years before windsurfing, you find that healing time for mistakes going in and out are more than likely. No question, booties are the way to go. One learns to work with their peculiarities.

I also have to say, helmets just make good sense, just like a seatbeat in a car or plane. While problems might be a once in a life time event, a ill prepared situation can be disasterous. A helmet might seem lame from a fashion and appearance stoodpoint, good overall sense must trump all.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: