myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Writer seeks windsurfers for story on "River Nose"
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Writer

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 1:34 pm    Post subject: Writer seeks windsurfers for story on "River Nose" Reply with quote

I'm researching a story about the so-called "River Nose" ailment that has affected people on the Columbia.

I'd like to interview people who spend a lot of time on the water and have had health complaints, especially this past summer.

I'd also be interested in talking to frequent users of the river who never have health problems.

Let me know if you are interested.

Thanks!
isobars

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You DO know this has been done, by the press, right?

Bottom line: if the problem crops up, irrigate the sinuses with a $10 kit from the drugstore and fuhgheddaboutit.

\m/
WMP

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2007 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

isobars wrote:
fuhgheddaboutit.

\m/

I agree... not much to write about with "river nose", it snot a great story Confused . If ya really wanna do a great story, gotta go with "Big Foot". I met the dude and know him quite well and if ya treat me to a Walking Man brewski (Jaywalker Russian Imperial Stout), I might just share some stories.
mrbreeze

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2007 7:42 pm    Post subject: River Nose Reply with quote

Come on now...DID the press ever come to any conclusions? I sure do not remember the mystery being solved, just a filler. Am I wrong?
isobars

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2007 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My conclusion, with concurrence from many friends and posts, is that it's a nuisance quickly solvable by nasal irrigation after sailing and if my sinuses act up.

Where's the mystery? Pollution, bacteria, small sinus drain holes (fixable, but not easily), allergies ... probably all of those and more. It's just part of the cost of having fun in unbottled water.

\m/
WMP

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2007 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My concluson.... it's all about the jibe. If ya can jibe, no need to worry 'bout NO water... nope, not to worry about river nose neither.

It's all 'bout the jibe!! Question is.... can ya jibe Laughing ?
isobars

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2007 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Even when I could and did make almost all of 'em, my REAL faceplants were/are in the reaches, whenever I poke a hole in my sailing skills envelope. It gets boring inside that envelope.

\m/
isobars

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2007 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I forgot to add an often-important adjunct to sinus flushing (which is now shown by research to be much more effective than saline nose sprays). When my sinus infection splooge starts dripping into my throat and lungs to produce coughs, I add cough suppressant/expectorant to the treatment, at least at bedtime. Any brand of "Tussin DM", such as Wal-Tussin DM, should do. The key ingredients are dextromethorphan and guaifenesin.

\m/
wsmike

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2007 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My question is why is this topic cropping up now, months after the end of the season for "normal" sailors? I can't remember much about the cold I had a month ago, much less details regarding "river nose" symptoms. Classic press-gets-it-wrong-AGAIN-but-then-writes-it-anyway syndrome.

Want a meaningfull analysis of what's going on in the river with windsurfers? maybe try getting a few words from sailors while they are actually sailing.

...and just for the record, I don't mean to be a total jerk...probably just months of no sailing built up. And as for river nose, I have chronic stuffy nose, have had it since I lived in the valley of death, or "Willamette" as the indians called it so I'm not much help in your control group.

..and as for the sailing fix, I've got something in line for that too...heading down under for a month after the 1st of the year Wink
isobars

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2007 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My present case of river nose began shortly after my last big sesh around Thanksgiving. It used to last all winter before I learned how to treat it, as sinus infections often do. When this happens, it carries the infection into the lungs, where it becomes bronchitis, a common wintertime problem that can lead to far worse misery. It's important to stop the snowball early in its tracks, which may take weeks.

\m/
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: