myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
is this a launch??
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kevinkan

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2007 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The southern end of Seawall Drive is HS Lordships Restaurant, and people do launch there. I launch there on a NW wind when the docks are in a huge wind shadow. Also, sometimes when it's really windy, it's easier to launch there w/ a super-sinker instead of trying to slog one out from the docks. Sometimes, the wind dies or goes North near the docks, and so it's easier to land at the restaurant and walk back to the docks (with or w/o your gear).

There's a little cove to launch in. Walk down the rocks, swim your gear out to the wind line.. about 25 ft away.

kev

... picture's worth a thousand words:

http://www.muegenburg.com/berkeley/berkeley-aerials/berkeley-aerial.html
swchandler

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2007 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi kev,

I've always wondered about the launch at the resaurant. Your link provides the perfect information about the scene. Very well done.

However, I'm curious about the relative security leaving your vehicle unattended. From my past recollection, the jetty parking along the west seemed a bit risky, as opposed to the dock area.
madspaniard

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2007 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

swchandler wrote:
Hi kev,

I've always wondered about the launch at the resaurant. Your link provides the perfect information about the scene. Very well done.

However, I'm curious about the relative security leaving your vehicle unattended. From my past recollection, the jetty parking along the west seemed a bit risky, as opposed to the dock area.

Yeah, the place can be a bit sketchy sometimes but there are always people driving up to the restaurant and the launch faces the back of the restaurant with some activity at the kitchen. I haven't heard of any incident happening there, the place is not as safe as the docks but definitely safer than Candlestick or 3rd, where there has ben reports of wallets and belongings stolen from vehicles.

What I really hate about launching from HS Lordships Restaurant is the green patina that covers the rocks, it is very slippery and most barefoot people have fallen at least once getting in or out of the water.
jse

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2007 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tend to launch there more than at the docks just because I hate the slog. Plus I like to go places - like Brooks Island or out by the bridge. Looking for swell or better wind. It's easier to get a jump on that from Lordships. I never felt concerned about my stuff, there's always a lot of people going in and out of the restaurant. However if you park just inside of the berm where the trees shade your car... bird shit galore.

I have no problem launching barefoot. Usually, as is the case at Berkeley, I end up quitting not because it's too windy or I'm tire, but because the wind died. When that happens, it's pretty easy carrying your gear up to the lot in one trip.

Steve
kevinpurdy

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2007 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There have been a few thefts there over the years, but it's relatively safe. It's best for exits if the wind dies or switches. Or as Kevin also mentioned, a good launch for NW winds.
kevinkan

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2007 11:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know a couple people who have had their vehicles broken into Hs. Lordships. I think on a busy day, it's not much of a concern, because there will be plenty of sailors coming in and out of the water and to and from their cars. If it's a really marginal day, and there really isn't anyone else there... well, that may be different.

kev
mikecole

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2007 12:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Kev,

That's a sweet looking bottom turn photo you're using for your avatar... Is that your last trip to PSC? Can you post a bigger one or perhaps it's on your club site?

Mike
kevinkan

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2007 1:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Mike,

Yeah, that pic is from September... fun trip as always. Some more pics here:

http://www.kan.org/kevin/Sites/rathokan/San%20Carlos%202007.html
mikecole

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2007 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Kev,

Awsome shots. Clark is good behind the lens for sure. Your OTL arials look great.... Wish I could crack them off like that. Thanks for sharing!

Mike
swchandler

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2007 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all the good information about the restaurant launch. I'll have to investigate some more on my next trip up to the bay area.

I have to agree with Mike about the PSC shots. Very nice! Thanks for sharing.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: