myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
gorge quiver question
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
windizio

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2007 8:45 am    Post subject: gorge quiver question Reply with quote

Attention gorge sailors, what's the 2 most used sails in your quiver?

I want to travel light next season and bring 2 sails and my 82 liter FW
board. I weigh 145 lb's. What do you think?

W
jimoakes

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2007 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You will get a lot of varying opinions here, kinda like asking "what is the best sports car".
I've sailed nearly every sailable day in the gorge from 1992 till today. I don't mind sailing a bit overpowered.
I weigh 170. I sail a 4.7 the most by far. 4.2 would be second but 5.2 is close(there's a lot of fun 5.2 days in July). A 3.7 comes in handy but it is my least used sail.

I sail the Hatchery most ,the Wall and Dougs too. Most of the people I sail with in your weight range would be on a 4.2 the most ,3.7 second.They would say your board is to big. 70 to 75 liters is more like the average for your weight.

If you are a flat water sailor you may want a 4.7 and 4.2. Your board might not be to big for that.

For me 3- sails would be the minimum a 5.2,4.7 and 4.2.
If I was to bring 2- sails and 1- board to the gorge it would be a tuff call. The board would be easy 75 to 85 liters is fine. The sails 5.0 and 4.2. No wait 4.5 and 4.0 duh,what was my favorite sports car again?
isobars

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2007 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are ya coming for a week or for three months?
How high is WSing on your ToDo list?
Do you sit at one spot and wait for the wind to come to you?
Are you satisfied with planing now and then or do ya wanna rip?
Do you enjoy slogging as much as many appear to?
Do you enjoy sailing for survival while insanely, TOTALLY overpowered?
How do you feel about missing out on more than half of the available shred time?
Do you care about harsh chop?
What's the best sports car?

That said ...
At 190 my most used sails are 4.2/4.7/5.2 (I don't know which two are used most) and my most used boards are 65 (steady winds) and 75 liters (holier winds). But if those were all I had, I'd miss half of the B&J sailing available, including some of the best days of huge swell and many classic, all-day, waist-high 5.7 days. To me, going to the Gorge with just two sails and a board is like going to a $100 buffet with just a soda straw or a strip show with just your reading glasses.

At the VERY LEAST, at your weight, I'd strongly recommend a 3.7/4.2/5.0 quiver and something like 70 liters, but even with that you'll still be Jonesing for other gear very often. Buy a bigger bicycle to haul your gear on. Wink

\m/
westwind737

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2007 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I weigh 140lbs, live locally and sail the Hatchery (80%), the Wall, Dougs and sometimes Stevenson in the Fall. I have a 3.5, 4.2, 4.7 and a 5.2 (which I never use). I sail the most on my 4.7, then my 4.2. But when the wind blows over 30kt, I definitely need a smaller sail, which is a 3.5. Therefore my primary sails are the 4.7 and 4.2. All are '07 Ezzy's. I hope this helps...
andymc4610

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2007 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i am 175lbs and you can't do 2 sails in the gorge, at least that's my opinion. I only carry three 4.0 / 4.7 / 5.2 and they all get good use all year. My 3.5 and 6.0 are a getting old and are a pain but not needed. instead I always carry two boards 80ltr and 110ltr. if it's going to rip i bring the 70ltr. and leave the 110ltr.
isobars

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2007 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

andymc4610 wrote:
if it's going to rip i bring the 70ltr. I always carry two boards 80ltr and 110ltr. if it's going to rip i bring the 70ltr. and leave the 110ltr.

PULEEZE tell us how to determine that in advance. There have been at least scores of days in the past few years, certainly hundreds over the decades, when it blew over 30 despite multiple-source forecasts of moderate or even light wind. Add to that the many hundreds of days I've used my 65-liter boards whenever it's blowing 5.2 (low 20s) or better, and that's a LOT of votes for something broader than a one-stick 82-liter quiver.

\m/
bobgatpdx1

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2007 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with other posters - 2 sails is not enough to get the most out of your time in the Gorge. I weigh 160lbs, and use 5.7, 5.2, 4.7, 4.2 sails a LOT. I also have 3.7 and 3.2 - but these don't get used as much. Many Gorge sailors turn up their noses at 5.7 conditions, but I've had a lot of days when I was zipping around on the water for hours and almost everyone else was hanging out on the beach with their 4.7's rigged waiting for the wind to come up (which it often does - eventually).
bobg
windizio

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2007 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm so glad I asked, I think I'm going to have to buy a bigger bike, to haul more gear.
It sounds like my 82 liter board wont be enough and I'll probably need at least 3 sails. I have a 5.4, 4.7, and 4.0 that i use here in Minnesota. My plan was to fly in to Portland with gear in tow, but now I'm probably going to drive and stay longer. (Middle of August beginning of sept.)

New question, what size board do I go down to from 82 liters. I'd be using it with my 4.0 and probably a 3.5. Should I be thinking tri-fin? Any recomendations for small boards?

Thanks again, the response has been great.
westender

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2007 10:54 pm    Post subject: Not to rain on your parade but Reply with quote

Uh Oh,, you're going to need everything! But don't listen to me.

I read on here where someone claimed to have sailed every day of a month last summer that was so bad I didn't bother to drive for 1 hour to get some. YMMV

To answer your question,, if your sails are any good if I was your weight I could make a 3.7 and 4.5 work if I drove around a little bit.

windizio wrote:
but now I'm probably going to drive and stay longer. (Middle of August beginning of sept.)
isobars

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2007 11:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

windizio wrote:
It sounds like my 82 liter board wont be enough and I'll probably need at least 3 sails. I have a 5.4, 4.7, and 4.0 that i use here in Minnesota. ... what size board do I go down to from 82 liters. I'd be using it with my 4.0 and probably a 3.5. Should I be thinking tri-fin? Any recomendations for small boards?

Depending on many factors including wind quality, water terrain, sailing style, potential swim distance, and time of day, I may use any sail/board combination including 2.8 to 5.2 on 65 liters, 3.7 to 5.7 (haven't tried my new 6.2 yet) on 75 liters, 4.2 to 6.2 on 82 liters, or 4.2 to 7.5 on 93 liters. I may use one fin or five fins (my favorite). Multi-fin board price, performance, durability, and sailing styles are all over the map, so "tri-fin" doesn't mean much.

I'd bring my 82, see how it works here, demo some smaller boards on windy days, and see how much difference it makes TO YOU. Fortunately, you can buy excellent used boards for anywhere from $75 to $200 or new ones as low as half price at the swap meets. At my weight, 70 liters is a nice step down from my 82-liter board, but of course board style matters, too ... maybe more than liters.

\m/
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: