myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
January Westerlies
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gmclean

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2008 11:51 am    Post subject: January Westerlies Reply with quote

Except for snow in the hills, it looks like summer out there with a classic low cloud deck to the west and clear skies to the east. Pressure gradient PDX to DLS is really strong this morning but I am not sure how long it will last this time of year with limiting heating in the Columbia Basin although NW flow aloft with the ridge offshore should help maintain onshore gradients. Should be fun to watch but I am not hard core enough to sail this time of year. Did anyone get out?

George
jimoakes

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2008 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'am heading to the Hatchery around noon. Looks like some real wind!
Hope I can find a good parking spot so late in the day.
Wow, Portland is 34 degrees and The Dalles is 43, maybe a shorty will work today?
srich

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2008 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow 33 avg at the hatch! I knew this would happen. I had knee surgery yesterday and as a general rule we get a good blow when I can't possibly make it out. Oh well, guess I'll wait for my knee to heal, the wind, and the water to warm up. Wink
schred

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2008 5:15 pm    Post subject: Westerlies... Reply with quote

At Doppio Temira said she and a cohort were heading out. It looked really good out there! Laughing

Walter
rowenaman

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2008 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Been checking hatchcam....trying to spot a sail.

Looks damn good - of course, my WS stuff is resting quietly in my storage shed.

Oh well, at least it sorta feels like spring! Though with the water temp at 40 degrees - its NOT. But I'm still compulsively checking the wind (that won't ever go away will it!!??)

Gusting into the low 40's - where is my 3.5?

Hope a few of ya had a blast! Very Happy
jedi

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2008 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I sailed at the marina in the Hood river some flat water speed sailing on the 6.0 went over 40 knots pretty freakin cold though..... Derek
isobars

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2008 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rowenaman wrote:
But I'm still compulsively checking the wind (that won't ever go away will it!!??

Only if you want it to. I don't even look at the wind or forecasts thereof once it gets too cold. It just makes life much simpler. I still look at wimmin' despite being married for 38 years, but Googling wind takes more time and is even less productive.

\m/
Temira

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2008 12:56 am    Post subject: awesome! Reply with quote

Hey all,

It was fantastic at the Hatchery today (and I called it two days ago on my weather blog - na-na-na, NOAA)!!!!

iWindsurf's meter was reading 33-40, but it was closer to 40-60 on the water. I never got cold, despite crashing repeatedly (Ion 5/4 Quantum wetsuit, in case you're wondering).

Everyone else eventually got blown off the water, but I'm lucky enough to have a delaminated, waterlogged 66 liter board and a 2.8 sail. Kudos to Jim and Steve for hanging on to 3.7s for as long as they did, and kudos to Laura for sailing on my unfamiliar gear in those conditions. Thank god she got overpowered and could give me the 2.8, because I was getting killed on the 3.2 (and that doesn't happen often at 170lbs) Actually, I don't think she was overpowered (she is really tough)... just cold... lucky for me, because I wanted the tiny gear!

The swell was big at times, but the strong current made the waves pretty choppy. Bright sunshine was a major bonus... I think I got a tan on the tiny circle of my face that wasn't covered by neoprene.

What a day!!!!

Last edited by Temira on Sat Jan 19, 2008 1:46 am; edited 1 time in total
WMP

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2008 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I snapped a couple wild pics at the Hatch of Steve towards the end of his sesh.... I'll post 'em when I get time.

Wicked chop.... so I opted to sail the Event Site with the 3.7 (last time I sailed there was 15+years ago).... very relaxed, very dialed, very toasty warm, even found some smooth swell on the far side. Then I went up to the mountain to catch some hot tele turns. Awwwwwwesome day!!
Temira

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2008 11:37 am    Post subject: one tough gal Reply with quote

I forgot to mention that Laura always outlasts me in these winter sessions. The fact that she got blown off the water and tossed around like a rag doll on the 2.8 is a sign of just how windy it was. Nuking, I believe they say.

I haven't tail-walked that much in years, and it was fun watching everyone else tail-walk in the monster gusts.

Photos: http://www.photovlado.com/jan17

Don't forget to use Vlado as your wedding photographer. After all, he should get something out of standing in the cold!

=)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: