myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
IWindsurf Temperature data accuracy

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
scooper

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2007 10:23 pm    Post subject: IWindsurf Temperature data accuracy Reply with quote

Does anyone know how accurate the IWindsurf temparature data is? It shows that the temp at Fogland today was 29 for most of the day. It seemed warmer than that in the middle of the day with the sun out. I know it was under 32 by the end becuase there was some slushy ice on my sail, but I think it was warmer before that.

It was a nice day! It was great to sail with Oliver, Juan, and about 3 or 4 others. The meter says the wind was 28-47 MPH for several hours at its peak, good port tack chop hopping.
dcharlton

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2007 7:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad you guys got out! I wanted to but had baby watch duty (torturing myself with readings from Fogland all day...). I thought from the temp readings "oh well, it's too cold anyway".

Typically, in the high 30's I can do alright with my polar fleece. I think I need some head covering to keep going throughout the winter.

Nice to hear some die hards aren't ready to throw in the towel just yet on the season. Just wondering, what is you're cold threshold?

DC
scooper

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2007 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My pain threshold, I mean cold threshold? I'm usually pretty happy when it's over 40. When it's low to upper thirties it's doable if I really want to, but cold hands. This was my first time seeing ice so I guess I've hit a new low, 29 F if IWindsurf can be trusted. I wouldn't want to be out in anything colder unless I had heated mittens. Also, later in the winter the water will be colder and that poses another challange- the ice cream headache if you fall in deep. Plenty of surfers go year round though.

I stopped at the surf shop on the way home and bought some new claw mittens. Maybe that will help with my cold hand problem.

I don't know how low the other sailors go.
ron.c

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2007 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm impressed.

I wish that I had a couple of nut-jobs, like you guys, to sail w/ in my neigborhood.

It was just plain f**king cold yesterday.

I saw a guy in town (mass plates - blue audi wagon) with boards, masts and a bike on top. If that was me, seeing the weather, I'd would have left all that sh!t in the garage.

Not ready to conclude the '07 season just yet, but the forecast for the next week out aint lookin so good.

RC
Frank4

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We had 5 or 6 guys out on eastern L.I. on Saturday. 35 degrees, but nice conditions on 4.7 sails for most of us. Packed it in around 3:30 and my sail got rolled up with some ice on it too. I felt warm, but needed to stop every hour to warm up the hands.
jp5

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess sitting by the fire with a hot buttered rum never occured to you guys?
rationalnational

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hehe,

no shit jp
DrWind

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heading out Tuesday morning to Long Island Sount. Looking at Hammonasset or Lighthouse Park in CT.

In regards to cold threshold. I have sailed in the low teens. Usually not that cold when I am out there, but my fingers really hurt when I am done. I get a throbbing pain for a few minutes and then it I am fine. The drysuit (OS Systems) has integrated gloves and booties, so they never get wet.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: