myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Wave board for Waddell?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
madspaniard

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2007 6:03 pm    Post subject: Wave board for Waddell? Reply with quote

Hi there,

I'm a Bay Area sailor that would like to start going to Waddell more often and was wondering what size and type of wave board people sail there. I'm 174 lbs and my small board is an 85-liter Quatro freestyle-wave.

Thanks
gerritt

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2007 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your current board should work beautifully. As you improve, you may want to get a pure wave, but I wouldn't rush out and do that right now. Wadell is mostly on shore and your wider board favors those conditions. Save your money on a board for a skinny mast and sail repairs. Learning to sail waves will cost you in broken equipment!
kmd601

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2007 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree, your board should be fine. When I sail at Waddell I want a board that floats better and planes quicker than I would at Rio, Crissy or Speckles. There always seems to be less wind than I want when I am trying to get out of the waves at Waddell. I am 185 and I just upgraded from a 85 to a 95 liter board for Waddell. I think it will give me more good days next year and less pounding in the surf zone.
ethurlow

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2007 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi- It might be good to have a big wave board (mine is a 86liter, Starboard Acid) and a small wave board (mine is a JP Wave, 78liters). The 86l Starboard may have a little more rocker?, for better wave turning, than your freestyle Quatro..but it probably wont accelerate like your Quatro. (85liter is a big waveboard at 174lbs). A 78liter is a bit big for a small board...a ~74liter wave board...might be a better choice at our weight.

In conclusion, maybe get a small wave board (more rocker?) for the windier days at Waddell and keep your 85liter for the lighter wind days at Waddell.

Ernie
kevinkan

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2007 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just starting out, volume really is your friend. The biggest challenge for beginning wave sailing at Waddell is just getting out in one piece. While an 85l Freestyle Wave board may not be ideal down the road as you get better, for now it is an early planing board that will help you maneuver around and over the waves and hopefully get you out in one piece. My first experience at Waddell was on a 95l slalom board! Honestly, back then it didn't matter how well it turned or anything, the biggest concern was that it would plane up early at the beach and help me get out. Your current board is much better equipped to handle wave conditions than the board I started out on. You can even ride a bigger board if the board is light. As you get more acclimated to the waves, getting past the shorebreak becomes less of an issue and you can ride more dedicated wave boards that may turn better at the expense of planing and pointing. Even with wave boards, volume can be your friend, esp when the wind is light. In perfect conditions, I look to ride the smallest board I can get away with... when it's really flukey, onshore, or messy, a bigger board makes everything a little easier. However, if it's really windy, a smaller board will increase your control, which is sometimes a problem when it's wavey and windy.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: