myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Where are all the young windsurfers in SoCal????
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
coolmtnbiker048

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2007 9:16 pm    Post subject: Where are all the young windsurfers in SoCal???? Reply with quote

In the past 2-3 years I have been windsurfing at the local beaches Belmont, Seal, Sunset, Huntington, I have never seen anyone even close to my age (1Cool!!!!!! Do they exist or only in Maui?????
eliot10

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2007 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not many really at my local spot Cabrillo Beach. I know two great freestyle/wave sailors at this beach under 30 years old. Let's get something positive out of this post though. I think kiting is more appealing to someone new to water sports, less expensive, lower learning curve, easiear transportation, higher adrenaline? well, that will be subject to debate depending on your skill level or the style of kiting/sailing that you do. I know that when I'm wave sailing at PSC, Jalama, or Maui, I wish I new how to kite as well. I see these guys just shredding the waves up and down. Then again I enjoy windsurfing more than anything I do.
I wish I can see more younger windsurfers out there so the sport will keep being promoted through younger generations. Until now, I am happy to say that I enjoy very much sailing with the group of sailors I sail with, most 30-50 years old.
MalibuGuru

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2007 2:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you seen Casey at leo? He is 21 yrs. My son Bronson is 10 and sails at leo in the summer. I was at the gorge this summer and the were hundreds of people under 30. Same thing on maui.

The problem here is cold water and sketchy wind. Windsurfing is alive and well in the top spots. It is still much more popular nationwide than kiting.
coolmtnbiker048

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2007 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i havent sailed leo
i usually sail somewhere between huntington pier and belmont shores depending on the cond.
im 18, am i the youngest windsurfer in socal?!??!?!?!?!?!?!?
swchandler

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2007 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most young folks are into surfing. Much cheaper and far cooler, as they can just grab their board and wetsuit and go. All the rigging and derigging associated with windsurfing only makes things more complicated and problematic.

Although surfing is a much tougher sport to learn and do well, the general consensus I've found amoung young folks is that windsurfing appears hard to do. Really, that's probably the number one question I regularly get asked from folks of all ages. The number two question is how much does it all cost. Getting beyond question number one is rather easy, but it's question number two that tends to kill things. How many young folks have 4 to 5 grand to spend on windsurfing?

Many may try to suggest that it can be done far cheaper, but that's kind of a pipe dream, particularly in southern California. Hell, I probably have 15 grand worth of stuff in my van right now, and doesn't even consider all the stuff I've exhausted over the last 21 years.
coolmtnbiker048

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2007 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use two sails; a 5.3 and a 5.8, and one board; Starboard Carve 111. My wind range is 13-25knots. I don't think that much equipment is needed to windsurf. Used cheap equipment is easy to acquire as well:)
jp5

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2007 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been teaching my 22 year old son to windsurf at Lopez. He does real good going out (left foot forward) but comming back is still weird for him. He can beach start and uphaul but not waterstart. He is so close to getting it but is always so busy with his friends that I can only get him up there once or twice a season.

He wanted to learn how to kitesurf, guys his age think it's really cool. So far I have talked him out of it.
MalibuGuru

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2007 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey cool mtn bkr.

I think you are ready for county line in the winter, and an 80 liter board. If the wind doesn't cooperate there are great trails above for riding and many riders to compete with.
coolmtnbiker048

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2007 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevenbard wrote:
Hey cool mtn bkr.

I think you are ready for county line in the winter, and an 80 liter board. If the wind doesn't cooperate there are great trails above for riding and many riders to compete with.

if you know anyone selling their lower volume board let me know. ive sailed an 85l board with a 3.7!!! Sweet!!!!

ill probably make the long drive up there sometime if its gonna crank
YippieYo

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2007 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I started windsurfing at a young age in 1990. Now in my late 20s, I understand and share your frustration. You're a bit more lucky than me in that I learned in a place that had virtually no wind, before moving out to the SF Bay Area for college. You're in a place where you'll be able to learn and advance your skills much faster.

Problems:

1. Windsurfing is too expensive. period.
2. If as a youngster, you don't have your own money to spend, you have to probably hang out with your dad/mom/older guardian type who probably taught you how to sail. I can't think of very many 10-18 year olds who want to spend a lot of time with their parents (cue teenage angst...)
3. Kids who want to learn probably don't know any other kids who sail. So there are no peers to hang out with.
4. Windsurfing is not as accessible as other sports. Although I would argue it's not much less accessible than surfing, which has a much bigger ridership. The problem is, surfing is "cool", has a huge marketing engine behind it, and you can get a board and a wetsuit for a few hundred bucks and you're good to go.
5. I always felt as a kid that magazines did not have enough Hookipa, Gorge, Pozo, California Coast pictures of guys & gals doing crazy stuff. I wanted to see Robby looping a longboard. I wanted to see people attempt double forwards. (and still do). IMHO, most windsurfers that I see writing to the magazine would prefer yet another waterstarting tutorial, and awesome everyday sailing pics from middle america. For me, then and now, no thanks. That's why I don't subscribe to the magazine any more (but will subscribe to windsurf journal).

6. other stuff that I can't think of right now.

bottom line, I love windsurfing, have been doing it for ~13 years and will keep doing it. but no one should be that surprised that it doesn't really catch on with lots of people, esp. kids.

-cris

p.s. the new kids gear looks awesome. it doesnt look affordable, but it looks awesome. and kai lenny and friends are amazing.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: