myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
South Texas: Best wind month, resort

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wprinz

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2007 10:37 am    Post subject: South Texas: Best wind month, resort Reply with quote

I am sure this have been covered a zillion times, sorry for the repeat.

I live in Californa and am thinking of trying South Texas for short board windsurfing.

What is the windiest month?

What is the best resort or place to rent and stay? (I will fly so I have to rent equipment.)

Bill Prinzmetal
amarie

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2007 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's North Padre Island (Corpus Christi) and South Padre Island. Corpus is slightly windier; SPI has somewhat better waves. Best wind is during around April-June. It's really consistant. In the winter the winds are often front-driven, so you may spend vacation time waiting around for a few days of wind a week. Sometimes it's better, but that is impossible to plan for much in advance.

Try looking up worldwinds windsurfing or windurfing inc, the rental places in the respective areas. Both come right up in google searches. I think both also offer lodging packages. If you want to sail somewhere besides flat water, ask if they'd let you take rental gear off-site.
jwindsurfer

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2007 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

South Padre Island is definitely the place to go. November is one of the bests months and April through May is also great. You can rent gear at WindsurfInc. I would say that SPI is more windy than Corpus. It's more of a resort spot, too. At windsurfinc you can rent and ride off from the shop into flat water. I you want to hit waves, you'll have to transport your gear to the ocean side. Not sure if there's an ocean side place to rent gear.
jordanwd

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2007 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

whens the best time to go to SPI??.. how about now! hahah
just got back from there yesterday.. it blew 4.7--5.7 in the surf (warm- just wearing baggies and thats it), next day blew 3.2 -->4.2 all day from the NNW and then 5.0-->6.0 everyday there after (NNW).

If you like bump and jump you may be disappointed as it stays flat in the LAguna MAdra evan when its blowin 3.2 (i weigh 200#).. S/SE on the beach is fun ..NNW at boca can be increadable but the beach was washed out cuz the surf was so big (on the 3.2 nnw day).

I think Corpus actually blows more consistantly than SPI and the bay is better for bump and jump (corpus is a very diverse place to sail..bird island for flat sailing, the bay for bump and jump and the gulf for wave sailing)
As a destination SPI just rocks...its fricken beautiful down there.

here are some pics of this (past) week at SPI...

http://wetsands.smugmug.com/gallery/3714816#213013909
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: