myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Water access, it's an issue everywhere including Maui
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jingebritsen

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2007 5:35 am    Post subject: Water access, it's an issue everywhere including Maui Reply with quote

Everyone is familiar with the Kanaha rule? Windsurfers stay off the water until 11am. Pretty fair for surfers, snorklers, fisherfolk, etc. Now some surfing lifeguards are trying to muscle out the wind crowd from Hookipa all day every day.

http://groups.google.com/group/rec.windsurfing/browse_thread/thread/6e25c517debc7331/d78c53164a110b4a?hl=en

This is a very good argument for shops to be supported by sailors. If our shops keep an organized front in the forefront of communities throughout our world, we wouldn't be so easily bullied by other interests. Support your local shop, they in turn will act as a voice in situations like Hookipa is suffering from right now.

email what gov't offices you think should be aware in Maui all you want as well. Let them know that your dollars will be voting to go elsewhere if the lifeguards have their way. How many of these lifeguards have taken economics classes?
speedysailor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2007 6:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This thread doesn't belong on the Eastern and Central USA & Canada forum.
jingebritsen

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2007 6:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Water access issues have not been a problem in your locales, is that why you state your opinion? Ever been to Maui? Ever want to go? If you do, wouldn't you want your water access to be as free as possible? Can't we windsurfers learn from others' issues and be more proactive? Should I pour on some more thoughts? The morning coffee is working its hyperactive magic on me, I've tons more questions...
geohaye

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2007 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jingebritsen,
I have to focus on work today so I can't click around to other websites -- can you give us a short synopsis of the situation?

I'll definitely read what you pass along to us here...I'll be checking here for wind later Surprised

And yeah, you're right that this does apply to all of us -- we do need to stay organized -- the fight for windsurf access never ends...
jingebritsen

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2007 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Florian started the thread on rec. based on giampolo's blog which his link gets you to...

In short, lifeguards at Hookipa somehow got the gov't to post some ridiculous policy that states surfers have the right to clog the venue all day. If there are 10 surfers out, windsurfing is not allowed.

If there are that many more surfers out on the North Shore than windsurfers, I'd be surprized. Methinks there is a squeaky wheel somewhere closer to the hearts of policy makers that are one step further away than voters and still another away from the $$$$$$$$$$$$. It's up to our community to fight for the right to party.
rationalnational

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2007 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brucie (aka Speedysailor),

maybe we should start a "Mars and outer Planets Index" for your posts ?
pueno

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2007 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rationalnational wrote:
Brucie (aka Speedysailor),

maybe we should start a "Mars and outer Planets Index" for your posts?

Questions: Does Mars have weeds, and would Brucie need to sand his fin there? Would he need his wet suit? Would his carbon mast work OK in the lower gravity? What kind of gloves are recommended for those long Martian days?

Inquiring minds wanna know, and Brucie is sure to tell......Wink
lootz

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2007 11:30 am    Post subject: Hookipa Reply with quote

I just booked my first trip to Maui for April 16-30, 2008. I'm from Milwaukee and I doubt that I would sail at Hookipa. However, this is a very big issue for everywhere in the world.

I will talk with Gary Stone from Istmus Sailboards and Ralph Ruffalo from Southport Rigging to try and see if we can get some organized effort through their email lists and Newsletters.

The wind is your friend and no one owns the planet.
Dunoyer

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2007 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The problem in America is that too much authorirty is vested in the dude in uniform with a badge. Beginning to remind me of Germany in the 1930's
cagjr21150

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 6:21 am    Post subject: Meanwhile, back at Ho'okipa Reply with quote

Filmed yesterday. Seems like the boys are back in town.

http://www.mauiwindsurfing.net/videos/20071023_HookipaTeaser.cfm
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: