myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Santa Anna's and Lake Mojave
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
swchandler

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2007 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Nealpar, you ever really surfed? And I'm not talking about screwing around at some lightweight spot where there's no crowd.

I seriously doubt it. If you've really done the time surfing you would understand what I'm saying. But let's be candid here, wave sailing in the Malibu area is a long way from anything really challenging or something to get a big head over. Believe it or not, I find the wavesailing at Leo to be something that's quite easy to avoid. Not that it can't be fun to play in, but it's an incredibly small venue and the tight crowd scene usually kind of ruins it for me. Add a few inflated egos that can't help spreading some of their poor attitude, and it's easy to understand why breaking out of such a small fry game is more appealing to me.

Frankly, I like Leo for its outside opportunities and the freedom that comes with it, especially with a stiff wind on a good slalom board. When you've done as much time surfing as I've had in my life, it's easier to open other doors and see things a bit differently. It might be hard for you to comprehend, but many folks didn't start windsurfing to be a wave sailor, and they don't necessarily see it as pinnacle of the sport.

The self absorbed egotistic "wave sailor" attitude tends to rub me the wrong way, especially when it's used to brush off other folks and non-wave venues as a waste of time. I see such poor attitudes as "teenage" and so foolish in nature. You ought to go back and look back at some of the goofyness you voiced toward the original poster here. Calling folks "fags"? Oh please, you really need to grow up a bit!

Why be so negative? The guy was totally stoked and just wanted to share some of his enthusiasm with others. While you may not be interested in anything outside your local Malibu scene, please try to restrain yourself and avoid spoiling things for others.
nealpar

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2007 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

swchandler wrote:
Hey Nealpar, you ever really surfed? And I'm not talking about screwing around at some lightweight spot where there's no crowd.

I seriously doubt it. If you've really done the time surfing you would understand what I'm saying. Why be so negative? The guy was totally stoked and just wanted to share some of his enthusiasm with others.

So you want to make this topic about wave snobbery, ha?

Yeah, I'm one of those surfers that can still get excited if I catch one good wave in an hour. Sometimes, just watching the sunset from my surfboard IN JANUARY, while watching dolphins cruise by, (yeah, just like on those cheesy touristy t-shirts), is thrilling enough for me. You see, I still remember what it's like in Europe in the winter, so I simply adore living close to the ocean, IN SOCAL. Damn it, I'm soooo NOT OVER IT! Just 'cause it's not Laird Hamilton material here doesn't mean there isn't plenty to love and appreciate.

IT IS YOU who is bitter and tired here! To be over Malibu ( a world class surf location) ...well, you might as well call it a night, my friend. Crying or Very sad

Anyway, gotta go. Won't read your reply. Have to attend coctail infused fashion show in downtown L.A. However, I'll be drinking and toasting to surfing and windsurfing waves in SOCAL.
jp5

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2007 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nealpar - woof woof, have a drink for me doll.

swchandler - you are never too old to surf! maybe 8-10ft Rincon on a 6'10 is yesterdays tale of "and there I was..." but hey, 4 ft El cap wih a 9'6 is still a sh*t load of fun.

Ezzy - if I wasn't spending thanksgiving dirt bike riding in the desert I'd be down for that lake Mojave trip!
swchandler

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2007 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jpbassking,

After doing so many years surfing some top flight locations, even the most dedicated dog starts feeling the impact and constrictions of age. I did a lot of years playing a tough game and getting some of the best stuff out there in Southern California, and to include some awesome Hawaiian time, you eventually succomb to the fact that it's tough to hang at the top of the point/reef and work it with the 16-25 year olds. When something better comes along that opens a new door and things become fun and exciting again, you're super lucky and a new opportunity begins. I admit going over to the dark side with windsurfing (really, so few that I know did).

Starting windsurfing in the mid-80s provided me with an incredible new path, and I couldn't be happier at this time in my life with my choices. Windsurfing is so easy and wide open, yet it offers an eclectic and charged scenario that fits my nature. I absolutely love it, and believe it or not, kiting isn't coming close to tempting me toward a different path, despite the fact that virtually all my friends transitioned to kiting.

About El Cap, it's one of my secret spots for windsurfing, and particularly beachcombing. Truly, I've got a lot to show for my time, and that's no BS. Frankly, very few, if any, come close to what I've accomplished by being there at the right time and leveraging off the opportunities.

Just last week windsurfing there by myself on a 5.0, I had some folks come up to me, and they were totally charged seeing me sailing about. It's great getting feedback from the non-windsurfing folks that often show up. I love the spot. It's my favorite beach (I show up there at least 150-200 days a year, and have regularly for over 17 years now). But, I should emphasize that El Cap isn't a lightweight alternative to surfing Rincon. The surfing locals there don't come any more dedicated, and uncrowded days with a good swell (even 4' days) are a bit of fantasy. On a large swell, the spot can be absoutely world class (nothing along Malibu comes close, believe me).

Also, just an important note concerning windsurfing El Cap, don't find yourself at the point under any circumstances, particularly in any kind of west swell. Windsurfing is best done high off the point along the beach above, and it's usually is best on NW downslope sundowners.
mountainbear

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2007 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am not familiar with so. cal. At this time of the year, is there any good spots to go to? I am going to be in the L.A area in 2 wks. Thanks for any info.
jp5

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2007 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mountainbear - The SoCal windsurfing season is pretty much over now however you might keep an eye on Cabrillo beach while you are here. I think you can rent gear at Captain Kirks in San Pedro.
jp5

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2007 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"you eventually succomb to the fact that it's tough to hang at the top of the point/reef and work it with the 16-25 year olds."

swchandler - you've obviously never heard the expression "old age and treachery will win out over youth and skill any day".
leonardgale

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2007 2:09 pm    Post subject: thank you for the effort len Reply with quote

EzzyCzar wrote:
anyway, it seems the best place for a north wind is cabinsite point.

South wind works better at the northend of the lake at six mile cove.
alecbb

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2007 3:22 pm    Post subject: Lake Mojave Reply with quote

I can only tell you that I've enjoyed some of the BEST kiteboarding in my life at lake Mojave and I love the Surf!
Great adventure no matter how you slice it!! Wink
nealpar

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2007 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

swchandler wrote:
Truly, I've got a lot to show for my time, and that's no BS. Frankly, very few, if any, come close to what I've accomplished by being there at the right time and leveraging off the opportunities.

Just last week windsurfing there by myself on a 5.0, I had some folks come up to me, and they were totally charged seeing me sailing about. It's great getting feedback from the non-windsurfing folks that often show up. I love the spot. It's my favorite beach (I show up there at least 150-200 days a year, and have regularly for over 17 years now).

Ahhh, thank you sharing.

Sorry old man, you "don't got" my respect. Not with that kind of shameless self-promotion, coupled with a GIANT CHIP ON YOUR SHOULDER attitude, mixed with pseudo-piousness (trying to lecture to me about being more accepting of others' fun while you try to crap all over Malibu conditions).
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 4 of 7

Jump to: